Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
generator type questions......

I have a '06 3400 that I want to use a generator on to dry camp, my question can I use a generator to run the A/C or Microwave or other items that have a PC board in it with a generator that doesn't have the new power invertor that have stable sinewave with out damaging the PC board (electronics) in the A/C unit or Microwave or whatever.
Thanks for your help in helping me clear this up.

kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I've used the Honda EM3000CC for the last couple of years with no problems. If you want to run the A/C and other stuff at the same time you would need something larger. I've used it at home (stick house) to run the large screen TV and all the other stuff related to the TV (during power outages). It all seems OK, I always run a 60 or 100 watt lamp in the system when using computers,TVs, etc. I read some where that took up any fluctuation caused by the generator. I really have no idea if that is true or not but have never lost any electronics when using the gen-set. Heres what it looks like.

http://www.honda.ca/PowerEng/Generat....htm?Year=2006

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have an onboard Onan. I believe it is regulated somewhat, but we have never had any problems with the electronics using it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We've used the non-inverter types to run new electronic appliances w/o concern for them. I would just be sure there is a full tank of fuel and when its getting low disconnect the cord as most problems come from deep cycle voltage dips or "brown outs". Regarding the light bulb use...not likely gonna be any help in smoothing out the AC feed but if it flickers that would be a good indicator you got variation and need to do something or not turn on any more appliances.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The biggest reason for using a generator that provides good sine wave power is more for the sophisticated electronic equipment (computers, scanners, printers, etc.). There is really no problem with standard kitchen appliances and TVs. We purchased the Honda EU2000i because my wife is a Graphic Artist and we carry all her computer equipment with us. It's possible we could have gotten away with something else but I didn't want to take the chance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Thanks everyone for the input, I don't plan on dry camping that often so if I can pick up a used standard generator with enough wattage that should work for me. Can't justify the cost of a new one with the wife.
Kim (kegger5769)
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kegger5769

Thanks everyone for the input, I don't plan on dry camping that often so if I can pick up a used standard generator with enough wattage that should work for me. Can't justify the cost of a new one with the wife.
Kim (kegger5769)
One other thing to consider is the noise level. If you're going to be around others then you may want to get something below 60DB at load...
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I am sitting here in my stick house with the 4th power outage in three weeks as I type this, running a cheap Champion 3500W generator that is powering my laptop, frig., television, some lights,and earlier the microwave. No problem on any of them. Noise level is higher than the inverter types, but in the house I can barely hear it. I am looking for a smaller inverter type for the 5er, but will still use this one if I have to power the 5er A/C.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
3rd Power outage in 3 weeks ? I figured you must be up here with us in the Northwest. we've only had 2......... expecting the next one tonight, but I think it went a little south and hit you.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote