Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Solar Panels

I am really getting close to deciding on a solar system for my 3075RL but it seems like every time I think I understand these systems I find out more and realize I know less. Anyway, my current delema is try to decdide which solar panel to use. I want to compare a Kyocera KC-130 which is rated at 130 watts- 7.39 amps.- 17.5 volts under pressure- 36 cells, with an AM!00 which is rated at 21.5 volts - 44 cells. According some of the salespeople I have spoken with the AM100 is capable of charging the batteries quicker because of the higher voltage pushing the amps into the batteries being charged. Does this make sense?

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I would not expose a 12 volt system to anything over 15 volts unless you plan on using a charge controller which regulates the line voltage. As the amount of sunlight changes so will your available voltage from the solar panels, the controller keeps the VOLTAGE constant so the available CURRENT increases to charge the batteries. Standard part of Ohm's Law - as you decrease voltage you increase current provided the resistance is constant.

With this in mind you can see that a panel that provides the higher voltage will indeed charge your system faster. Beware of cheap controllers that do not adjust for battery temperature as a cold battery will be damaged with a fast inrush of current, look for the term BTC (battery temperature controller) in the controller specifications.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

I am really getting close to deciding on a solar system for my 3075RL but it seems like every time I think I understand these systems I find out more and realize I know less. Anyway, my current delema is try to decdide which solar panel to use. I want to compare a Kyocera KC-130 which is rated at 130 watts- 7.39 amps.- 17.5 volts under pressure- 36 cells, with an AM!00 which is rated at 21.5 volts - 44 cells. According some of the salespeople I have spoken with the AM100 is capable of charging the batteries quicker because of the higher voltage pushing the amps into the batteries being charged. Does this make sense?
Check out www.palmerenergysystems.com and http://jolynenterprises.com/Solar_Panels.htm
Both websites are part of Palmer Energy Systems.

These people are experts in solar. He has 300 acres in Lake City, FL and the entire property is run by solar. I have the 44 cell panels (4 of them) along with Xantrex ProSine 2.0 Inverter, and HPV-22 Controller. John Palmer can help you figure out what you need.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, The guy you need to talk to about solar panels would be Dave Anderson as he seems to be our resident expert. Click on the "Members" link in the upper right hand corner and find Dave's profile. You can email or PM him through his profile.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote