Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Tracking our travels? Where to start?

Okay everyone! So many of you have "links" to go to that you have made available for us to view. I am NOT very Computer literate, but I would really like to know how to, or rather where to, be able to start my own. So my question is, how did you get started on yours, and where does one "go to" to start their own? I know there are a lot of different ones out there so I would be getting a lot of different answers, depending on the type one would go to.

I guess what I'd like to know is: do you have to "buy" the space? Is there guidelines somewhere? Is is free and you just need to know how to create a log of some type or what?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I would really like to have something for my family & friends to be able to access and know where and what we are doing. But it does need to be simple, if at all possible. Thanks to anyone who may respond.

Joy T.

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Joy ... our website started out as just my emails to friends and family. Steve then turned those emails into our website. Ours started out free, but got so big we now pay for space ... not very much though ($4.95/mo for 500mb).

Judy and Helen have great blogs on the Internet (and probably a whole lot more than I'm not aware of) maybe they will come along and give you some pointers if that's the way you want to go.

I really enjoy creating my Postcards. Whichever way you decide to go, I know you'll find it very satisfying.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Joy
I use MSN Spaces which is also the one Judy uses. It is free if you are on MSN. Such a simple process and they have templates for you to use. You do not need to know how to create a web site. Wish I had had such a simple process when I was working.
Happiy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
If you belong to Good Sam - they have a website for travel that cost 4.95/month for full functionality includes movie clips, etc.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/start.cfm
Full-featured sites from only $4.95/mo.
Good Sam Members: save an additional 15% off all personal website prices! Enter promo code VAGD6Y at check out.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Joy, We use the Goodsamclub.com website. WeE have the premium one and I think it's about $70-$80.00 per year. It is very easy. We had a free one before called blogspot.com but like the Good Sam one better.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We also, like some others use MSN Spaces and we do like it alot. Still doing it for free and we like it that way. Could update but have not done that yet. Still working well for us....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Hey guys, thanks for all the info! Since we are life time members of Good Sam, I think I'll start there, who knows maybe soon we will have a travel log with pictures too!

Vicki, I really like your post cards and the way you guys have it all set up, but right now, I'm thinking it will be too much "thinking" on my part. After I get started, and maybe in a year or two, I'll be better equipped to give Steve a quick call and ask him how he got started in creating his own web-site.

Lstierw & Sue, we don't have MSN so I guess that one is out, but thanks for the info.

Helen, I had no idea your blog came from Good Sam, that is great, so, now I know who to go to when I can't figure out the Good Sam site right?

Steves, thank you for the link and the info for the special discount, you can be sure I'll use it.

I guess I'm not feeling quite so out of sync now, I think I can do this, it will then be down to being able to keep it up and current like you all do. Wish me luck. Thanks Again.

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote