Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Diesel Problem

Well, I was driving home from the Montana yesterday and had a little hesitation in the engine. Stopped and fueled up and then stopped for a snack. When I went to get back on the interstate, it would only do about 15 mph. It would sputter when it hit 2000 rpm. No matter what I did, it would only go 2000 rpm. I finally figured out if I feathered the pedal and went to speed slow enough, it would shift and finally got to about 62 mph. As long as I didn't have to accelerate fast, I was okay. No issue on gages or idiot lights or message center. On-Star did not get any codes when they checked. I limped home on secondary highways. After cooling down, it seemed better. This morning, taking it over for service, I had to accelerate and it sputtered again. I changed fuel filter about 1,000 miles ago. Air filter is good (K&N), fluid levels good. Any ideas. It was very hot (95 deg) and humid. Could it be a vapor lock somewhere? I'm curious if the experts here come up with something different than the Chevy experts. Did have some problem with the waste gate valve when it was new, but you could tell the turbo wasn't running and it gave a warning light for service engine soon.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sounds like injector problems. Three trucks that came to the Lake Siskiyou rally had to have injectors replaced before getting here. One of the guys described his problem very similarly to the way you just described yours. Let us know what the dealer finds out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The first thing I do if I suspect a problem is read out the computer codes with a code reader. It may tell you something. I heard that Autozone can do it. I use my own Superchips 1705 reader.

Have your tried the GM Diesel forum???

http://www.gm-diesel.com/

Oh, if it were a 7.3LFord one of the first things I would suspect is the CAm Position Sensor. It provides timing info to the computer. Don't know what the GM counterpart is.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
On-Star read the codes and didn't find anything. Chevy dealer said the fuel line is showing blocked and they said they start by replacing the filter. I just went over and checked and they have the parts listed as fuel filter and throttle needle. I am thinking they had to eliminate the filter to get to the real problem. If it turns out that it was the needle, I'm not paying for a new fuel filter. The one that is in there is new. I have to drive to Detroit this afternoon, so I hope its done before I leave. I will post more later.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Have they ruled out bad diesel or water in the fuel?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I would guess injectors or lift pump. Maybe injector pump.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
It happened to both my 01 and my 04. All I had to do is pump up fuel pressure with the pump on top of the fuel filter. That was after a tow to garage and that was all they did. Cheap fix. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I agree with Dan...sounds like fuel starvation. GM has had problems with the fuel filter body lines sucking air as well. If you changed the filter yourself, you may want to re-prime the unit just to make sure. I assume that the new rubber "O" rings were installed when replacing the filter. If that does not work, then scan the computer for codes. If its an injector problem or the infamous harness problem, it will store a code. Secondary to that is loose turbo hoses, but usually the unit will belch loads of smoke if that is the issue. Low fuel rail pressure will also store a code---try re-priming so at least you can make it to a facility that can check for stored codes.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ron,
Did you have black smoke also?
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When you changed the fuel filter, was it covered with a tar like junk? There is a algae problem with diesel fuel. When we in Texas this last winter,I had to replace the rail pump. I have a FORD. The diesel in Texas is bad and has algae in it. You could pick it up anywhere. It grows where the diesel and water meet. There are products that kill the algae. I use BIO MEDIC by LUCAS. Everyone that has a diesel should treat there fuel tanks because the stations don't. We are all looking for cheap fuel and who knows whats in it. The best place to buy diesel is from a truck stop or station that moves fuel. The algae covers every thing in the fuel system and plugs filters and lines and the tank. This will be worse in the south where it is warm most of the time. Hopefully this will help your problem or someone else. Good luck.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
My wife and I left Allyn Washington on May 25 for a much needed vacation for her. I took the truck to GM dealer for a goving over befrore we left. They found a bad (or going bad) mass air flow sensor and replaced it. We got to a little town called Durkee Oregon which is about 75 miles from Ontario Oregon and pulled into a station for fuel. Guess what?!!, the engine would start and immediately start stumbling, puffing black smoke and not revving above 15-1700 rpm. Since it was still under warranty I called on-star and they sent a truck and towed it to the nearest GM dealer which was in Ontario. Hanigans GM. They thoroughly checked it out and found the EGR valve had died. The nearest one was in Lansing Michigan, I paid 33.88 for air freight and had it fixed in two days.
My dealer Grey Chev completely missed it, as the codes are almost the same with the EGR valve being the underllying code to gove the mass air flow sensor false reading. The truck has been running flawlessly since. Grey Chevrolet is going to reimburse me for airfreight and the 80.00 it cost me for two nights lodging in our Montana behind the station. Good Service and a willingness to acknowledge their mistake will keep me buying from Grey Chevrolet. Heading back to Washington from Reno Tomorrow, June 3.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, all they did was change the fuel filter. I am thinking it was a vapor lock and that had I just opened the bleed valve and reprimed it would have been fine. The filter looked clean - no tar or anything. The needle - th was a needle and thread for a loop for the rear seat belt, not a throttle needle as one of the service writers told me. Would a OBD2 code reader have isolated the fuel flow issue? I'm thinking about getting one to have along. Thanks for the reply's. It looks like I learned a $226 lesson.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ron,

We had exactly the same symptoms last year, it was corrected by replacing the filter. This year in Texas, we did have to have the injectors changed (under warranty), but the symptoms were different, in this case it was hard starting.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote