Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
3665RE grey water pipe from Kitchen

We purchased our 3665 RE last November. Have not used it yet. It finally warmed up here in MI. I had a chance to crawl under the trailer and just look things over. I noticed the grey water drain pipe to the main grey tank is outside of the bottom cover and routed directly above the rear axle.There is about 4-5" clearance from the axle tube. Now the reason I bring this up is we had a Shasta many years ago that had the same thing. What happened was the axle actually rubbed against this pipe and put a hole in it.

My question is, has anyone else with this unit experienced any problems with this pipe? Are yours like this? Are there any other models with the grey drain pipe routed so close to the axle tube?

It seems to me that a good bump could take it out.

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
ET2 -

We just ordered a 365 Big Sky which is the same floor plan. I haven't got it yet, so I don't know. But, I'll be interested in the outcome. Good luck with the new Montana. They are a really nice trailer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Just a bump.Has anyone had this experience with the drain pipe located just above the axle? I'm concerned it will be crushed by the axle tube movement.Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
dnichol
Established Member

M.O.C. #8726
I got the same unit in Sept. & have made several trips without any problems. I think the main problem would be a flat or blowout.
dnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
et2,

Our Challenger 35RLQ was the same way. I had the service department "fix" it several weeks after we had purchased it in 2005. They might have moved it up away from the axle an inch. However, last year, I had to have the galley grey tank replaced becuase the front axle did hit the pipe hard enough at some point and cracked the tank around the flange. At this point it was out of Keystone's warranty. I made a personal visit to Darryl at customer service and they had it on record that they did do the repair several weeks after I bought it. But, do you think they would help?

I ended up having to take it to another facility in Goshen and they put a new tank and plumbed the drain line above the under-belly and brought it down to the termination valve in front of the axles. Cost: about 500 bucks.

The next Keystone I buy will get inspected for this before I sign on the line. If Keystone is not going to fix it.....I'm walkin'.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Thanks for the replies.I called Keystone and spoke with a customer service "technician". She wasn't much help other than indicating it made it from the factory to my home without any issues. Even after I told her we had not even used it yet, which was my concern further down the road. She said she would note it on my file that I was concerned in case something happened later down the line.

My response to her was the suspension has 6" of travel, and what she thought might happen if I hit a chuck hole or large bump that used up let's say maybe 4" of that travel? The pipe is only 3" above the front axle.She claimed to understand my concern. I told her it would be crushed.

Then I asked her if all these models were made to the same specifications. She could not give me a straight answer.So I went by the dealer I bought it from and looked at some of the same models. They all have the pipe above the axle. This just seems like such a bad design.

I also agree about changing a flat tire, you definately could not jack it under the spring mounts as it would contact this pipe and break it. Jacking the frame is mandatory for that axle.