Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glacier to Spokane Route

We are making long-range plans for a trip in July, 2013 which includes a few days at Glacier National Park. From Hungry Horse, MT we travel to Spokane, Washington. Looking at the map, there are several possible routes such as: US2 to MT 28 to MT 200 to MT 135 to join I-90. All routes look very "curvy." Anyone with experience on these routes? I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I did that exact route - opposite direction the summer before last. Coeur d Alene to Fish Creek in Glacier.

For the most part it's a pretty easy route. About as easy as they come in that neck of the woods. But then you mentioned "curvy" so I'm not sure if curves bother you or not. If they do I suggest Kansas.

There was a few modest up and down grades on the stretch of 135 but nothing major - a fair amount of flat straight routes too. Was a pretty drive. Unless you really don't like curves I wound't worry about it. An easy route IMO.

Here is a picture of Hwy 200 headed North:

And here is highway 28.

The other option would be to go down the east side of Flathead lake and US93 to I90. Pretty drive also but probably 40 miles or so further. Less curves that way. If you went that way - Jim & Marys RV park just north of I90 on US93 is a nice overnight with access to Missoula for some entertainment.

Hope this helps
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Greg, really helpful. No, I'm not especially concerned about "curves" as I tow regularly in both the Rocky Mountains and the Smokey Mountains. Really "squiggly" lines on a map do get my attention and I try to check out such routes.

BTW, have you been over Douglas Pass in western Colorado? That one did get my attention.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I lived in Colorado for about 15 years. Been over Douglas as have most of them. Pulled fuel tanks for a while when I wanted to spend some time at home for a change rather than hauling meat to the coasts.

To me - the best (or worst) pass in the state has to be Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton, Co. I've got some video of it on my blog from last summer. Not a pass for anyone who cant keep their wheels between the lines (or off the shoulder)

If you've driven Colorado - then the route to Spokane is a no brainer. Enjoy the ride. Great Scenery!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks again, Greg. I will have to admit that I have decided NOT to tow between Durango and Ouray. I really think I could do it, but I've decided I don't WANT to do it. One other pass I have not towed is Slumgullion. We've been over that road many, many times, but that was before our RV days. I'm even more confident that I could do this one, but so far have not tried it. Monarch and Wolf Creek Pass multiple times. We will stop at Gunnison, then at Cheyenne Mountain State Park before heading on up to Glacier. Then we will come back through Colorado, maybe slipping into Ouray from the north then on back to Gunnison again before heading south.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Understand... Red Mountain is not everyones cup of Tea.

We were in Cheyenne Mtn SP last July when Colo Springs was burning down. Have some posts on our blog about that. If you've never been. let me warn you that some of the sites - Swift Puma Loop 35,36,37 are steep back ins and my stabilizers just dragged but I made it in. The guy next to me was not able to get in and the park was full so he had to leave.

Other than that - great location to enjoy the town.

Going to be in East Texas on the gulf coast in a few weeks heading back east.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
No problem for us. We will be up the hill at Raptors (?) in site # 3 (or 2). Anyway, we've stayed there before--pull-through with an unobstructed view of the city. We were there last year on Labor Day when they had the fireworks that they were unable to use on the Fourth of July. GREAT!

Let me know if I can help with any information about East Texas.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
We've booked a week at Matagorda Bay Nature Park on the Gulf, then another 5 days at Sandy Creek Corp of Engineers park up by Jasper.

Then it will be exit stage right along I-10.

Enroute from NM we plan on one night stopping at Balmoreah SP south of Pecos, then another night around Junction, Tx - perhaps S Llano River SP.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

We are making long-range plans for a trip in July, 2013 which includes a few days at Glacier National Park. From Hungry Horse, MT we travel to Spokane, Washington. Looking at the map, there are several possible routes such as: US2 to MT 28 to MT 200 to MT 135 to join I-90. All routes look very "curvy." Anyone with experience on these routes? I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Maybe we will see you in Montana. Will be at Jim & Mary's in Missoula July 7th & July 8th. We are then going to Glacier July 9th for 8 days, staying in Columbia Falls. From there we too are heading to Washington.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Jim and Marge, Maybe we can say "Howdy!" As usual we are trying to cover too much territory in too short a time. We will be in Hungry Horse at Mountain Meadows July 13, 14, and 15. I know that is not enough time, but it is what we have planned.

Just remember, we are "ex Montana Owners," and still have some good friends on this forum. Since I make only positive comment about our Montana trailer, I don't think it would be out of place to say that we are now in a HitchHiker 2. This is just so any of our Montana friends might more easily find and identify us.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Jim and Marge, Maybe we can say "Howdy!" As usual we are trying to cover too much territory in too short a time. We will be in Hungry Horse at Mountain Meadows July 13, 14, and 15. I know that is not enough time, but it is what we have planned.

Just remember, we are "ex Montana Owners," and still have some good friends on this forum. Since I make only positive comment about our Montana trailer, I don't think it would be out of place to say that we are now in a HitchHiker 2. This is just so any of our Montana friends might more easily find and identify us.
That sounds great, looking forward to meeting the two of you...
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
We were at Glacier in 2010 left there and just drove up Rt 2 all the way to Spokane.We were in no hurry. It is an easy 2 day drive. The scenery was nice. We spent the frist night at the Walmart in Ponderay Id.We ask the manage if it was alright to stay and he said the night before must had 20 campers and was like a big camp fire with out the fire. We stayed in Spokane for about 4days. If you have time you mit want to do a day trip to Grand Coulee Dam.
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote