Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK... Thanks, John. I keep hearing about this item once in a great while...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I seriously doubt I "fuss" with the laptop while on the road than anyone else would with a dedicated GPS unit. In any case, I never even look at it when in traffic coming towards or moving in front of me. My motto has always been safety first.
Steve,
I agree this is the way to go. Safety first is the way we handle it. Marge navigates using the laptop and only occasionally will she mention what I am to do (corroborates what the "voice" is telling us). Really works well and I have no need to look at the screen, unless we are stopped in a rest stop or refueling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I seriously doubt I "fuss" with the laptop while on the road than anyone else would with a dedicated GPS unit. In any case, I never even look at it when in traffic coming towards or moving in front of me. My motto has always been safety first.
Steve,
I agree this is the way to go. Safety first is the way we handle it. Marge navigates using the laptop and only occasionally will she mention what I am to do (corroborates what the "voice" is telling us). Really works well and I have no need to look at the screen, unless we are stopped in a rest stop or refueling.

Orv
The screen is alwyas tilted away from me and toward Helen when I am driving and since I can hear the Garmin voice and Helen and they are both female voices I without question do what they tell me to do
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Oh, wow! And I thought I was the only one...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have always been the navigator even when using paper maps. I still am - the computer is for me only while Ed drives. He doesn't like the computer very much but will look at it at Rest Stops. He does like the info I get like how many miles until our next stop, our elevation, etc.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Here's another vote for the Garmin 2720. Which ever one you decide to purchase, unless you are opposed to internet shopping, do not buy it in a retail store. Saw a 2720 in Best Buy yesterday for $1100...I paid $693 on line...no tax and free shipping.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #27
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We use S&T, for one thing, if you already have a laptop, it is much cheaper. We agree with most of the previous comments. In particular, you can fairly easily download additional info, like low bridges from websites, as well as add your own bits of information for future refererence. The mapping info comes from the same official sources, and none of it is 100% up to date, but regardless, we always try to have it with us, even if we don't expect to need it. You never know when you might get directed onto an unfamilar detour.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #28
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
This is an awesome web site. After reviewing this section on navigation, we made the decision to purchase the MS S&T 2006 version with GPS, and the table top mount from Mobilelaptopmount.com. I was going through all of the GPS options and with input from this site, decided to use the laptop, which we are quite comfortable in using, even in the PV. The products should be delivered in a few days. Can't wait to get them installed, up and running. We will be leaving Florida shortly after July 4th for Michigan, so the new system will be much appreciated.

Thanks for all of your inputs on this topic. It sure made our decision a lot easier.
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 AM   #29
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Well,

Here's a first (pat myself on the back!). I just got S&T 2006 running using a Delorme EarthmateGPS (USB) connected to a new MacBookPro that will boot to Mac OSX or Windows XP. Obviously, I have to be running it under Windows XP. Now I have the best of both worlds! I won't have to bring two laptops on every trip, one for the GPS (PC) and one as my tool of preference for everything else(MAC). The only small roadbump was that I had to download and install a driver from Delorme to get the Earthmate GPS to talk to S&T.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #30
Montana_5833
Established Member

M.O.C. #5833
After all the input I decided on the Garmin 7200. A little bigger than the 2720 but it will fit just fine in my truck. It has a 7 inch screen which will make it easier to view but not so big as to take up my whole console. Lap top set ups sound good but the bulk of it turned me off. Me the wife a six year old boy an 18 month old girl in a baby seat and an ancient 80 lb retriever mix (Tramp)take up most of the room in my 3500 crew. Where would all the power rangers, bottles, stuffed animals and the GI Joes ride if the console had a lap top on it. Thanks for all the input.
Montana_5833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Snowbunny, I would love to have one of those MacBook Pros w/ the new dual systems. Unfortunately, it's literally the cost of the difference in a new truck of a diesel and a gasser - in a Duramax, anyway. Maybe next winter when my SSDI accrual comes in...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Marilyn, there is a learning curve with all of these products so don't hesitate to ask questions. That's how we all learned. And continue to learn.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 AM   #33
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Steve,
Thanks for the input. I'm sure we will have lots of questions as we work our way through our first trip back to Michigan from Florida. When the software arrives, I'll get it loaded and do some dummy run trip segments to get familiar with the product. We will probably plan do about 300 miles per day, so I will try to set up the plans accordingly. we will take a leisurely trip back - about 4-5 days to Southern Michigan - Coldwater area for our first stop.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #34
Montana_5833
Established Member

M.O.C. #5833
Garmin 7200 ready to go. I've been using it for a few days and find no major glitches or problems. The screen is the perfect size for viewing and working through the options. This weekend will be the first trip, I'll let you know how it works out.
Montana_5833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #35
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Does the Garmin 7200 and such update their maps and software online like the MS software on the laptop?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Garmin provides updates on the site..You can also download a auto update program from Garmin that will keep your software updated. Just updated mine...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #37
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I just received my new Garmin 2720 and activated the software update and installed the auto update feature. Additionally you can sign up to have Garmin notify you via email when updates are available.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #38
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Have TomTom, works great
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #39
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
I just purchased the MS S&T 2006 with the DELUO USB GPS WAAS Receiver on-line. It is working fine now, but not initially. When I plugged in the GPS the "jumping mouse syndrome" started. It was a bit funny at first with the cursor moving about the screen like popcorn, until tool bars and icans started moving and/or disappearing off the screen. A quick call to DELUO solved the problem with a software patch that they emailed to me. Apparently they knew about the problem as they are beta testing the patch for their next software upgrade. I thought I'd put this notice out in case someone else had a similar problem.

I am really pleased with the products so far. Although it is a bit time consuming and somewhat overwhelming at times, trying to understand how the software works W/0 any manuals. However there does seem to be sufficient description and detail in the "help" menu pull-downs. There was also a great deal of help and guidance from earlier recipients in this thread that helped me tie some things together. Will be testing it out big time next week in our drive back to Michigan with Monty. Also installed the laptop mount from mobilelaptopmount.com. It is working out better than I initially thought. (This was part of another thread, but I thought I'd tie the two together in this message if no-one else minds too much.)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #40
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Friends of mine just got the Lowrance iWAY 500C GPS with MP3 playback, and its 5" (diagonal) screen display is awesome! I'm thinking of replacing my 1.5 year old GeoSat2. Here's a link for more info:

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....sku=LRIWAY500C

If that doesn't work, try www2.buydig.com and search for Lowrance 500c. List price is $699, and their price is $595 with $100 rebate!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote