Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
fridge on gas

OK,, Here is something I need help with. During Rita the power went out at our campground for about three days. During that time the refridgerator shut down. The DW left the trailer and went home for the storm and came back to find the "check" light on. This is the second time this happened in a couple of weeks. We keep it on "auto" with the gas tanks full in case the park power goes down. The rv is a 2005 3650rk about 9 months old. Another problem is that I am in Iraq so the DW must fix this herself. My last Keystone (Couger) had a bad inverter so it would burn up the batteries. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. I will be coming home in December but I do not yet have a TV to pull this unit. I don't mind paying someone to come service it but if it is an easy fix,,,why.

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The simple fix could be air in the gas lines. Usually when I first start up the systems after the trailer has been stored the gas is off and the fridge is running on 110. When I turn on the gas there is air in the lines and I have to light the stove burners and let them burn for about 5 minutes. That usually gets all the air out of the system and then the hot water heater will fire and the fridge will run on gas. If I don't purge the lines the fridge does just what yours did. It tries to light and then goes to check light.

If your gas tanks were already on it may still be a small amount of air in the fridge line and one reset should fire the fridge. If that doesn't fix it you may need someone to check out the igniter and burner on the fridge.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have found the same thing as Don and especially if we have just chsnged propane tanks. Also if the propane part of the frig hasn't been used recently you may have some little critters in the burner or ignitor.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
yup,....same thing here.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I don't beleive you have a problem at all. We leave our unit on Auto as well and I beleive everytime we have had a power outage and the unit needed to switch to propane the "check" light came on.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If none of those solve the problem there's another possibility, I think. It takes 12v to ignite the flame. If the battery is too weak I understand it won't light the gas burner. In that case the check light would come on, I would think.

One way to test this is to hook up the umbilical cord to the tow vehicle's connection, fire up the engine of the truck and let it run while you disconnect the shore power and see if the fridge lights off on gas. I think the manual says it will try for 45 seconds and then will turn on the check light. The engine has to be running on the truck for power to get to the converter, if your truck is like mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Thanks a bunch. I don't have a tow vehicle for it. The critter idea is worth checking. There could be a gas problem although the stove works fine. It could be a week battery. While writing this I remembered that I haven't checked the water level in the battery in nine months. It could have cooked down exposing the plates. I will have my son check these things out .

Thanks again for the input. You guy's are the greatest
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, the battery will run down in a few weeks if left connected but not on shore power. There are several drains on that battery. If your slides will operate ok on battery and the landing gear will, too, then the battery may not be the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:48 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Mine does the same thing, it will run fine one trip on propane with the switch in the auto setting and the next time it will fail and when you get to a stop where you look inside the check light will be on. Every time I switch the button off of auto so it runs solely on propane it will fire right up and stay running. I have checked for critters and bugs in the gas tubes and blown them all out with compressed air and still have the problem. I am leaning toward something electronic. But that is going to be a little expensive to repair.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Since this is an 05 only 9 months old the warranty should take care of any factory defect that is now showing up. Problem is usually how to get the unit to a dealership or service center or find someone willing to make a house call under warranty.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Check your warranties! Keystone warranty is one time frame, components are something else. Toilet, for example is something like 3 years. READ YOUR WARRANTIES! We had trouble with our frig, check light coming on, indicating something is not correct. Even had it checked out by a Dometic service center. They could find nothing wrong, and it has not failed since. SC indicated it might have been something like soot around the ignitor area. Hit some rough roads, the soot could have jiggled free. If nothing else, if you get it on record with Keystone, or Dometic, that might help you down the road.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

OK,, Here is something I need help with. During Rita the power went out at our campground for about three days. During that time the refridgerator shut down. The DW left the trailer and went home for the storm and came back to find the "check" light on. This is the second time this happened in a couple of weeks. We keep it on "auto" with the gas tanks full in case the park power goes down. The rv is a 2005 3650rk about 9 months old. Another problem is that I am in Iraq so the DW must fix this herself. My last Keystone (Couger) had a bad inverter so it would burn up the batteries. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. I will be coming home in December but I do not yet have a TV to pull this unit. I don't mind paying someone to come service it but if it is an easy fix,,,why.

We've had this happen a few times when there have (been) power problems with the 110 like circuits blowing. We use generators quite often and always leave the fridge on auto and there has never been a problem going back and forth, only when the 110 is funky.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Low 120 VAC will also effect the switch over process. I had similar issue when we had a voltage drop in the 120VAC itself. Turned out that the wire going to the hook up was too small allowing voltage drops thus power drops inside the camper. FYI
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote