Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
SAN DIMAS CA TO YOSEMITE TO DONNERS PASS

We'll be leaving San Dimas CA & heading for Elco NV via Donners Pass. We are thinking of making a side trip to Yosemite Park.
We see comments not to stay in the park with our Monty. We won't.
Is there a nice Good Sam park on R5 or R99 that we could park the Monty & stay a couple of days while we drive to Yosemite for a day ??
How far of a drive is Yosemite from R5 or R99 ??
These are just thoughts we're throwing around at this time.

Larry-P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you want to have a roof on that Montana when you leave here, you will not tow in Yosemite, the tunnels are 10 foot 4 inches on the sides, I do not believe you could go down the middle. That is my take on it, cautious tho it may be.

We are up on 120, east of Groveland at the Yosemite Ridge, you can maintain your roof and get here if you come in from the west. This is a nice park, but, still a hike into Yosemite Valley, I am guessing from here it is around an hour drive.

From here, elevation, a bit over 3000 feet you will climb to 6200 feet and back down again to get over at Yosemite valley. I did not record the altitude at Yosemite Valley, sorry. The roads are basically 2 lanes, built on the side of the mountain, sometimes no guard rails, you look STRAIGHT down, sometimes 2000 foot or more! The curves are tight and there are places you cannot drive over 25 MPH. There are a few curves marked even less than 25.

Point is, that you cannot drive and get a normal 50 miles per hour distance, as we average in other driving conditions. Your days could be long, real, long, if you must drive from somewhere much further out of the park.

You should check with Dave and Betsy McNair and H. John Kohl, they are here this week too but, stayed over in Coarsegold. I thought they said it was 100 miles back to their campground from Yosemite Valley?? I did not map it, so, verify verify verify.

So, much will depend on your stamina, your idea of a long day or day trip. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

I don't have the stamina to add another 30 to 50 miles one way onto an already long day.

Course, Al and I don't do fast day trips, we make TONS of stops, and I take hundreds of photos. So, see, your mileage may vary! LOL

Hint: the busy visitors season is starting for them soon, make reservations. Just heard today that the rivers are cresting for the season in the next couple of days.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Carol,
Thanks for the update.
We are mainly interested in seeing the giant Sequoia trees. Do you plan on going there on your drive thru. I think they are better located on Rt 198.
Also, is there any snow on the roads. We will not be towing into the park but are trying to find a RV park along Rt 99 close to Rt 198 & will then take a 1 or 2 day trip to see the area.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tioga pass is closed. Snow.

Sequoias in Mariposa area. At the south. Mariposa main area is also closed to snow. but we were told we could see quite a few from 41 which is the main road. We are told there are some in other places too but we did not get the chance to visit any of the areas.

Unless you have seen the Bridalveil falls and the Yosemite falls you should not miss them. They are close to each other in the valley

You should look at Coarsegold area. Still a hike to the valley but you can hit the Sequoias too.

Check the official National Parks Service web site, at the top of the page is a note of closures and such. In red. Click and read. Some of those closures should be rescinded soon, like the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Have a nice visit. Yosemite is quite remarkable.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Carol,
Thanks for the info. A few more questions if you don't mind.
Where exactly have you parked your Monty ??
When getting around the valley are you using chains or 4-wheel drive only ??
We do not have chains or 4-wheel drive. Should we wait for better weather later in the season ??
How long have you been planning your trip ??
This is a spur of the moment idea for us to visit the area. Maybe we should wait until next season & do more planning ??
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No chains required. The weather is lovely. I mean right now outstanding. We are near Groveland. Yosemite Ridge. Read every thing I have posted here I think I have covered everything. We are wearing t-shirts. It was almost 80 here yesterday. Best thing any one visiting our national parks can do is go to the web sites. Not others, the national parks ones. Read every link. Open maps. It is all there. We decided to come several days before arrival. Unless momma nature goes crazy, the weather will only get warmer, up to 100 here in Groveland during the summer they tell us. Read the park web site. Really. If you can find a campsite there is no reason not to come unless you want to drive Tioga. That will open soon, not sure when. They say May. Almost May.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The Valley floor is a pretty level 4,500 ft. The tops of the points, domes, crests and ridges average 7,200 to 8,500 ft. You won't have any time to go to those altitudes, and the roads getting to the valley floor are higher in altitude then drop into the valley.

There are several Good Sam parks along Hwy 99. Then it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive from 99 to Yosemite Valley. The roads are kept very clear into Yosemite Valley. Since you are only planning a day trip I highly recommend camping off hwy 99 and driving in to Yosemite Valley rather than going real slow dragging the Monty closer since you are looking mostly at a side trip.

I like that Carol reports the weather is nice, but be prepared like it will get cold since weather can change VERY FAST. So keep the rain jackets and warm sweaters and heavy jackets close by; like in your vehicle when you drive there.

NOTE: The day you spend there and you'll wish you spent four or five. Consider this as a worthwhile exploratory trip. As you'll learn when you get there, one of the reasons for its popularity is that it is one National Park where accessibility to what would normally be inaccessible to only the fittest is prevalent. Unfortunately, this time of year, many of these side roads are closed from snow and only the strong-hearted will continue. But from the Valley's floor, you'll be able to see A LOT (just look up) and do a lot in a day.

I took this picture late in the day in late May, 2010. There will probably be more snow during this time of year.

This one, too.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We stayed a the KOA in Coarsegold and drove to the park about 3 times, maybe 1 hour or less.
If I remember right once in the park gate turn to your right and go about two miles you will find a grove of Sequoias with hiking path all through them.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
We have a New Elks RV park in Merced, on Hwy 99, said to be the gateway to Yosemite. 1 1/2- 2 hour to Yosemite. Nice drive through Mariposa, Son just made the day trip yesterday said the weather was great.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Much of HOW accessible the park is is based on SNOW amounts. This year the snow pack is down. One couple told us it is down about 50% from a "normal" year.

There is no more snow there now than what Art's photos show.

Check the maps again, the Sequoia Grove is back on Mariposa Drive, which as of two days ago was still closed. If you can hike in the mile or whatever it is (verify this, we did not do, so my facts may be like, well, wrong! LOL), you can get into the grove, but, they told us we could not drive it as of two days ago, because that road, as well as the Tioga Road were closed.

Check the web site, I cannot stress this enough, they post the closings! Check the weather tabs too.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
The Yosemite web on current conditions says Mariposa Grove Road open.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
RATS, Ron

Missed it by ONE day, one stinkin day. RATS and MORE RATS!