Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
j_a_wolfe

M.O.C. #9519
Dodge 4x4 3500 owners?

Good evening all,
I am picking up a used 3255RL Saturday and have had a Drawtite 16K hitch installed. We are moving up from a TT and my concern is with tow angle due to the height of the truck. When we installed the hitch for the trailer, we had to get a drop insert that went pretty low to get the trailer to track properly. Has this been an issue with anyone or is there plenty of room for adjustment?
Thanx,
Jim
Remember, growing older is mandatory.
Growing up is entirely optional
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This could be a problem only if your truck is raised. If your truck is raised a bit by larger tires, suspension modifications, the angle of the front of the 5er could be too severe. Then you risk the front underside of the 5er behind the pin coming into contact with the rear of the truck bed especially with driveway entrances/exits, going over some RxR tracks and stuff like that. It is recommended that the 5er be towed as level as possible. Many of us might have very slight upward or downward angles, but not by much.

A friend of mine reversed the 5er SOB trailer suspension so the springs were on top of the axles and his 5er rode higher and gave him the clearance he needed. Some of the negatives of doing this is an increased height of your rig when being towed, you'll need to pay attention to low underpasses and tunnels, and you might have a handling problems in windy conditions. And when you are set up, you might need additional steps up. My friend bought extra steps for his rig.

For me, with a stock height truck, only one time I encountered a campsite that was a pretty good drop from the road, that I had very little clearance between the 5er and my truck bed, but I was able to clear it just enough. If I had bigger tires or a higher stance, I think there would have been contact because my truck's back end would have been higher.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We have that TV. It has stock suspension. The tires are Coopers which are supposed to be a little smaller in diameter than most of the others, but not much. The hitch is a Reese rocker. I had to put it at its lowest setting to accommodate the TrailAir pin box and the 5er still rides with the front slightly high, you would have to look pretty close to see it though. I think the stock pin box would allow it to be right on but it may have been closer to the side rails. I haven't had any problems so far. The 5er clears the TV side rails by about 5-7 inches. I haven't any idea about the adjustment limits of the Drawtite. The only caution I have is to be sure to lower the tailgate when connecting/disconnecting because the pin could be 6-8 inches lower than the top of the tailgate.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I had an 07 Dodge 3500 dually. I lowered the rear by taking the 3 shims that are on the bottom of the springs, on top of the axles, and putting them on top of the springs. You could do it yourself or like I did, take it to a spring shop. Took less than an hour. It lowers the rear of the truck about an 1-1/2" almost 2". there is an article on the web that shows pictures but I don't remember where. If I can find it, I'll pass it on. Did not affect the truck in any way. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Jim, we have a stock 07/3500 Dodge dually and we also tow with the front slighly high but one would really have to look at the sight lines to notice it. We could lower our hitch one more set of holes but that would reduce the bed rail clearance from the 6-7 inches we currently have. You will be fine with this combo, enjoy!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, ours is also a 2007 Dodge 3500 4x4 with stock suspension and stock 17 inch wheels. When I had the Reese hitch on a manual slider the ride height was fine. About 7 inches of clearance over the rear corners of the bedrails. The slider under the hitch raised the saddle a bit.

When I went to the superglide, the saddle sits lower than the Reese on a slider. To compensate, we dropped the pinbox one hole in its mount. We again have a little over 7 inches clearance.

I don't know your situation but hopefully there is some room for adjustment on your rig.

I don't know what a drop insert is.

Or did I misunderstand your question and your rig runs nose high? Ours is slighly nose high but you have to look hard to see it. Or get out the tape measure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
j_a_wolfe

M.O.C. #9519
Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'm just being paranoid since I'll have to travel 5 hours to pick up the trailer. I'm trying to head off any potential surprises when I get there.
I don't mind a little nose-up as long as it doesn't affect handling. With a TT, nose high means sway, the higher the nose, the more pronounced the sway. The insert is the part of a trailer hitch that carries the ball and which slides into the receiver. A drop insert is sort of like it sounds; it is curved down allowing the ball to be positioned below the receiver in order to help the trailer track more level.
The Drawtite hitch has one set of holes to raise the fifth wheel plate and 3 or 4 to lower it. I'm assuming I want to get level or a little less while maintaining 6-8 inches of bed rail clearance. We'll know Friday night what we'll need to do to make that happen.
Thanx,
Jim
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, now I understand. I've used a drop insert with a receiver hitch but I was thinking fifthwheel hitch when I said I didn't know what it is. My fault. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote