Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
'Head noises'

Tinnitus is fairly common in older persons, I hear.
It is with Mr. Ozz, I have had it for so many years now, I just live with it. I am drawing a very small disability pension from V.A., as my hearing was damaged in the Navy. I worked at a defense plant before and after my service, so my hearing tests were well documented with exams.
It is difficult for an air conditioning and refrigeration serviceman, as I can't hear Freon leaks. Squealing fan belts, whistles, high pitched noise are not heard. When in a crowd, or any background noise, I can't hear what people are saying around me.
It is like any disability, we just deal with it. You get pretty good at lip reading when it's noisy, if someone from your back or side talks to you, forgettaboutit. Wish I could hear good, but.....
I remember an incident from years ago, my buddy and I were in a club where the music was really loud, standing at the back by the pay phones, an older lady was opening her purse while speaking to us. She said something, which I thought contained something about making a phone call in the noisy club. I told her; "Good luck lady".
My buddy broke out in a hysterical laughing fit, turns out, she was reaching for her make up case.
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/tinnitus.cfm

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got it and like you I live with it and it appears to run in my family as a few of my brothers have it. In fact, I don't even notice it until someone brings up the subject.

Is that the phone ringing???
Lorraine, will you answer that darn phone!!!!

Thanks old buddy
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Thought this was going to be a bathroom discussion. Army avation. can't hear either.
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Have it also, 30 yrs in the building trades with hammers, air tools did me in. I'm like you I doesn't bother me when I have side noises. But I really hate it when were out camping in the peace and quiet and the ringing is present. I guess I need to camp where there is more crickets around LOL? SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It is amazing how many different things cause it. Ed has had it for many years. He also had vertigo (where you can't stand up). It took several doctors to find the problem. Mine happened several years ago when I had ear infections and flew several times during the infection. I lost 60% of my hearing in my left ear but can still hear the darn ringing. Unlike Jim I can actually hear motors that no one else can. I knew when the furnace motor was going out on our other rig. Both of ours happened in our 40-50's so it is not always old age. With so many people affected by it, you would think they would be working harder on a solution.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Both of ours happened in our 40-50's so it is not always old age.
Sue, It must have been from playing Jimmy Buffett music too loud. :-)
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Nah. I can still hear Jimmy just fine. At first I couldn't listen to Kenny G though but I kind of taught myself to listen to him so now it is okay. BTW a little experiment I did one time while reviewing some software for kids who can't read. When you have a hearing loss, the slower someone speaks, the better you can hear them. Some of the TV programs speed up the speech to get more in, thank goodness for Closed Caption.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hoooah! Army Aviation....great stuff. I am still tied to those silly things with whirling blades on top. You just got to love a pile of parts flying through the air looking for a place to crash.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Oh boy...I've been around power tools most of my life...I have it too.
If anyone knows how to stop that ringing I'd me most appreciative.
Dead silence never really is...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The son has it too, from Navy. Big gun shot too close to him.
He lives with it too. He can't hear @#$%.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #11
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Sorry I did not hear you,can you repete that.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
I also have tinnitus, but probably not as bad as some. When I last visited my EENT doctor for a hearing checkup, he suggested trying lipo-flavonoid. It works well for me and the ringing is almost gone. Since the change is so gradual, it's difficult to tell that it's working. After 7-8 months I thought it wasn't doing anything constructive, so I stopped. Boy, did the ringing come back! Haven't stopped taking it since then.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The work place (both civilian and military) has gotten much better about wearing some type of hearing protection. Unfortunately, it's too late for lots of us. I spent 24 years in the Army, mostly in the Field Artillery and in the front seat of an airplane or helicopter, retired and spend eight years in the front of a corporate jet. Lots have CRS disease, I have that as well as CHS (substitute 'hear' for 'remember).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've had tinnitus, too, for as long as I can remember. My Dad had it, too. I don't know if there's an inheritable tendency or not. Part of mine is from a softball injury when I was struck directly on the center of the ear with a thrown ball as I was sliding into home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #15
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
That is is why they say "Growing Old is Not for Sissies". Probably like Ozz and many others spent too many hours around noisy equipment and did the macho thing dont need no stinkin ear plugs. Is the phone ringing-no?-what did they say?--who was honking. I dont need no hearing aids.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Yep. I have it too. I think mine is from NRA shooting since I was about 8 years old - no ear protection back in those days. Ten years playing in bands probably did its thing also.
I wear ear protection now, but it's too late for what I already have, which interferes with hearing, all the time.
No cures that I know of yet.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz,Just watch out when you start hearing voices!!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have the same ringing. Most of what I see written here, you have Tinnitus. In my case it is called Minaires Dieases. Ringing, Vertigo and pressure in the ear. The doctor came me valium for very bad days and a water reducing pill for others. Relieves the pressure and the dizziness is gone.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
WOW, I had no idea this was so common. Our son has Mennier's too. He takes Lipo-Flavonoid every day and the ringing is non=existent. This was recommed for him to try by the ENT dr. At the time the dr. recommended this to him, it was in the testing stages. And it works for him, anyone having the ringing or the vertigo should give this a try-as it does not require prescription. If he quits taking it the ringing and vertigo reoccurs.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #20
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
For those of you that are taking Lipo-Flavonoid, how long did you take it until you started noticing a difference? Mike, you said after 7-8 months you stopped taking it for a while then returned to taking it. I have had the buzzing for thirty years or so and, since this thread, started taking the Lipo-Flavonoid a few days ago. Just wondering how long until I could possibly notice a difference. Thanks - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote