Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #21
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We have not become full timers yet,wife still has to work!! so most of our trips are short runs. We will cut back on how many times we will change spots this year. A long trip is not going to happen. We do have a favorite campground about an hour from us and the owner lets us and 3 others leave our trailers set up on the sites,we pay him $2.00 day for electric. By doing this we can go up there every weekend without the cost of gas. Just that pull,round trip would cost $40.00 for gas. So it is better to leave it parked there. Also by doing this,we will use it more. You are right, at this point the pain hasen't been felt by everyone,but soon they will see there wallet empty faster and have to adjust something. If you listened to the finance guys last year when fuel started climbing,they said everything is normal and ok. But it takes a while for everything to trickle down. Now we are starting to see the reality in the energy prices,gas,fuel,food,etc: and it is going to start to hurt. we own a small grape farm and not many years ago off road diesel was 86 cents a gallon, last summer it was $2.25 a gallon and this year it will be near 3.00 gallon. I know it is cheaper then what you pay at the pump,but the price of grapes has gone down the last 5 years. With everything else rising, Nitrogen fertilizer is now about $400.00 a ton when a few years ago it was about 200.00. I know I am off post here a little, but it just shows how much things are changing. What is the RV industry going to do to help. make cheaper,lighter units? not right away. I think they are still going to cater to the high end market $100,000 plus where the price of traveling does not hurt those incomes as much. Of course we will be left with the scraps.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I agree with Dave Sprik on this one, it is just starting, we saw just the beginning with the vacant campsites this year in the RGV, and these were campgrounds that were jammed (pass the sugar please friend Sue in the next campsite, I can reach without leaving my rig, you too??)

I personally know of several MOCers that have backed out of Rally's this year, reason: fuel costs.

It makes me ill, it makes me mad, it makes me gasp in amazement when I hear one of our leaders say, "$4.00 a gallon by spring, I did not hear that, where did you get that number?" (Sorry slightly political statement there.)

I wanted to go to Virginia when we left here, it adds 700 miles to the trip, it is undecided, but, looks like a dead deal.

Pity the haulers! Oh, man!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We will be staying put here in Aransas Pass, or possibly moving over to Rockport. DW took a part time job in Rockport. The fuel cost is driving up the cost of everything. I went in and picked up a 30 pack of cold beverages the other day, and it had gone up over a buck. And there ain't no end in sight!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #24
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I will investigate the reverse mortgage, or try and sell our home, get a smaller one closer to South Padre, maybe San Antonio, or the hill country around Austin.
[/quote]

OZZ...I am no expert, but I pay close attention to the assets I have a attained.......we are no different than anyone else at our age.....I IMPLORE you to look elsewhere for financing.......the reverse mortgage is a mortgage scheme that will rob you..........sell it...or consider what we call a Line of credit....I can only explain it in Canadian terms.... your bank assesses your property and determines a value.. then they tell you how much they will back you for....ie: usually about 75% of their assessment......in the end you can stay where you are.. use the money that you have invested in the house at a very low interest rate and in the end when you leave this world the value of the house pays the debt and the rest can go to your heirs... check it out..dc
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #25
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have already started the discussion of abandoning the RV lifestyle and staying in one place. Our trip to the New England area this year may be our last. We have cancelled our west coast swing and are looking at other options such as going back to work (yuk, starting work at 67 - who would have thought) or just sitting tight for a year and see what the future brings.

As bad as things appear to be, the only bright spot is that we can go back to a stick house and have a heck of a pick of realestate to look at. and the prices are good and interest rates also.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This is all so disheartening. We both retired last year. Purchased our first big RV with the intentions of traveling, traveling, traveling.

At this point in time we are not really sure how many time we will be able to "camp out." I do know that we will be taking one big trip this year. Going on down to P'Cola, then across and up to Massachusetts. Then back down to Quantico, VA and then on home. Leave in April/May and return July/August. We have been planning this trip for some time. My son graduates from the Naval War College and I would not miss that for anything. The bright side is that my brother lives in MA, has a big yard. That will help a little in CG expenses.

I guess we are fortunate. I'm retired military, drawing SS, and retirement pay from NASA although I only worked for them for 12 years. DW is also retired Civil Service from NASA with 29 years, so we are doing ok financially for right now. Because of a short term with NASA my retirement pay from them is really not that great. But, I should be able to use it to fulfill the search for the Great Adventure.

The first long trip will be the ultimate deciding factor.

Texas is a wonderful State. Lots of CG's; nice weather; great attractions; wonderful people (me excluded) and great times to be had. All within 300 miles of me. That's a tank of gas. (At $4 a gal, $152 to get where I want to go)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #27
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
DW and I have not done much traveling the last 4 years as we have volunteered at a corp of engineers lake that is near our home. We spend 6 to 7 months there every year. Last winter was the first time we went south in the winter. We stayed home this year as we took a cruise intead of going south. Due to the cost of everything we will not go south or take another cruise. We will still go to the lake again this year as we have won the bid to be camp host at the lake. So the only diesel cost will be to pull the monti to the camp site and back home in the fall. The F350 will sit most of the time. I feel that we will not be as busy this year at the campground as they were last year. However I could be wrong as people might be taking shorter and fewer trips and staying longer. I think we will see the real effect of the rising cost next winter as far as the RV industry goes. At this point in time I am glad we did not sell our house and go full time.
The only expence at the lake will be food, a little gas for the little pickup, and a little gas for the stove as the water and electricity is free. Can run the AC as much as I want at no cost.
You all have a great day.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and I are also very fortunate. We are both retired Fed's (FAA) Me 40 years of Fed service, her 33 years. We have excellent pensions, Full medical care, I draw a small SS check. That is our primary source of income and pays for our primary life style. House, in NW Ohio, Taxes, Ins, Auto's, food, and everything that goes with that. That income provides us a very good life style. Our "great adventure" Life style is secondary.We provided finances that we thought would support that life style. Those finances are being eroded by many things the high cost of energy being the primary reason. We thought we would never have to work again.....Not.... I drive bus, Helen took a job at Disney.. If we winter next year it will be here so we can both work at Disney to pay for the wintering.We have cut our 08 travel about in half We were/are planning on a New England states trip this summer but at 4.00 per gallon Diesel+ that won't happen. I will have to stay home and drive bus.

We have a 'Great adventure" budget..It is a generous budget. We will travel within that budget. Our Great adventure is not as great as it once was.Our primary life style will not be affected.When we can no longer support our Great adventure..it will be over..

"Sometime you get the bear..sometime the bear get you.. Such is life...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Don. I will explore all options than decide what to do. I had a real estate investment company for 7 years, bought, sold, rehabbed, double closed homes, had rentals, so I feel I will make the right decision abases on life's experiences, and will not be so smug as to fail seeking outside advice.
It looks like many of us are in the same 'boat'. Too bad I didn't study harder in school, and save more in life. All in all I think most of will still have a great retirement, good luck to us.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It's too bad our elected leaders can't read this thread (and probably many other RVing forums with a rapidly increasing number of these topics) to get an idea of just what is about to happen to our economy this summer.

We, too, have relatives/friends who have a large yard...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #31
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Our Great Adventure, as Rich calls it, is slowing down until we can decide just where we stand. I am just starting into "semi-retirement" and may have to take "semi" out of the picture for a while. It is not easy at 67 (after finally getting used to the idea that I could retire) but am now working at Disney World a few days a week and will be Ranger Jim in a campground near home for the summer. I enjoy the work at Disney and will enjoy the work at the campground but our plans to see Texas, Arizona, Mt Rushmore may be put on hold for a while. We will make the Fall Rally but not Branson this year. We had such an enjoyable time there last year, too.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Due to the ever increasing fuel, and other costs we will NOT be taking our unit with us to Florida this year, instead we will drive longer (in my wife's 35mpg car)and staying at least 2 nights in motels and with family the rest of the time.

We already have reservations in MI for this Spring and summer, and also having won a few nights stay in a fairly close campground we will be ok.

The remainder of the year will be very short trips.

Who knows about next year? Only the Lord.

But we must REJOICE AT ALL TIMES AND IN ALL THINGS!!!!!

Make the best of what you have and have fun.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
well guys, If you ever crossing middle tn around manchester and murfreesboro, and we are there, you can let me know by e-mail here, then you would be welcome , have 2 full rv hookups, a country setting with a 105 acre lake right behind my property good fishing. only 45 miles from Nashville tn., no house on this property (well a cabin with full bath one bedroom) its mainly an rv lot.heres a pic....

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #34
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Tom, That is a very generous offer. I'm from TN and middle TN is nice and you'll probably have more "friends" than you can imagine.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #35
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tom,
If I remember this thread, you'll get an email from me some time in June, July, or August. Just might take you up on that offer on my way home from Quantico.

BBQ Steaks will be on us for sure.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #36
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Way cool Tom...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #37
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Tom, that is so nice.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tom, we will be coming by you around the 23rd of April, but we will be on I-65, I'm afraid. I will certainly keep your offer in mind, however.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Boy, do I hate to go back on my word, because we promised our 4 Montana grandkids a trip "in Honey and Papa's trailer" to Yellowstone this summer. That was before diesel hit $3.79 a gallon this week. We also told our Texas family that we'd be down for at least a month this summer to spend some quality time RVing with them, set up/camp at Canton First Monday Trade Days to sell some antiques, collectibles, and guaranteed junk, and then bring back the 2 Texas grandsons for a stay with us here in Montana.

I know $3.79 a gallon isn't as high as diesel is some places, but I've already come out of retirement once, in 2002, and am teaching part-time to earn money to cover the increase in my state retirement insurance contribution, which has doubled since 2002. By the time summer is here, I'm afraid diesel will be so high that our trip to Texas and the trip to Yellowstone will be wishes, not realities. (In addition to teaching, I manage the high school federally-subsidized free/reduced lunch program, and we were told yesterday that beginning in April, the 20-pound bag of flour we now pay $18.00 for will cost right at $50.00 per 20-pound bag because of increases in the price of wheat and diesel.)

Life is short and grandkids and family are dear, so we might bite the bullet and make the trips to Yellowstone and Texas. But if we do, it will be the ONLY traveling we'll do for some time.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The cost of fuel is not quite as big as it sounds. For every 1000 miles of towing, a dollar per gallon is $100, at 10 mpg. Every 1000 miles of sightseeing and other solo travel is an additional is $59 if you get 17 mpg. Still, that money has to come from somewhere else in the budget. And that does make us rethink our plans. We are not going to the Pacific Northwest. Because we'd have a 2500 mile trip to make it back to Kansas City in late June for a granddaughter's birthday, we're changing plans and will spend some time in Colorado and northern New Mexico instead.

We hoped to return to New England next Fall. We will see. We may go north to North Dakota instead as we've yet to visit that state.

We will be in KC in mid-June and need to get to Washington D.C. for a granddaughter's h.s. graduation. And back to KC by 6/25 for a granddaughter's birthday. Normally we'd probably take the Montana. But we're thinking now we'll fly to D.C. It will likely be cheaper than towing the Montana and maybe even cheaper than driving to D.C. solo.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote