Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
DONnANNIE
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,310
M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Dimplex BF5000 Fireplace - Possible Fire Hazard

Recently while camping we were running the Dimplex Fireplace in our 3650RK, I noticed a strong smell of burning wires. About that time the smoke alarm sounded off. I turned the fireplace off and check the trailer for something burning. Nothing was found.

I removed the fireplace from under the TV. I had to remove the top of the fireplace. I turned it over and set it on top of the fireplace. Everything look good except for where the power cord connects to the circuit board. One lead was totally burnt. I think what happened was the the screw contacts worked loose,overheated and burnt the wiring.

I called Dimplex and they are sending out a repair kit. They handled my call very professionally.




DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Casa Grande
Posts: 5,369
M.O.C. #6333
Don, Looks like you caught it just in time. This had been a bone of contention in the past and everyone was advixed to check these connections. Glad nothing serious happened.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Full Time
Posts: 4,246
M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don and Annie,
Glad you found it. This problem has been around for over three years. I reported it back in OCT 08 and they look identical.
Here is my photo.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arroyo Grande
Posts: 500
M.O.C. #6460
Those look just like mine. Bill
2007 3000RK
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eastern
Posts: 1,155
M.O.C. #7270
Don I also have a 3650rk and have been wanting to ck mine since John found his burnt but have kept putting it off. how hard is it to get the wood frame off. I think I have to drill out the plugs to get to the screws but not sure just need to go ahead a do it I guess!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
barmar
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Union Bay
Posts: 92
M.O.C. #8385
Yup, same thing happened to ours earlier this year!! They sent out a repair kit with same terminal strip which I think is a poor design and should be checked regularly--despite the pain of access!! Has anybody come up with a better method/gizmo to connect input power leads?
barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,310
M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks for all of the replies.
scductman - you can try to "pick" the wooden plugs out, but you'll probably have to drill them out. I just replaced mine with new ones.
barmar - I agree poor design. I'll check the repair kit and if it is the same piece, I'll check with an electrical supply house for something better.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wilsons
Posts: 401
M.O.C. #9833
It's just a terminal point, mating those wires together. I'd cut the ends off put a good ceramic wire nut on it and let 'er go. If you are not comfortable with wire nuts use sta-kons, crimp them on bolt them together and tape 'em up. Those pressure-type terminal points are notorious for vibrating loose. Putting a replacement of the same type on is ok, if it's kept tight, but you still have a new, problem prone connection.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Liberty Lake
Posts: 2,310
M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks Jerry
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 83
M.O.C. #11565
Somewhere I remember seeing someone drilled a small hole in the wooden plugs, screwed in a small screw and used that to pull the plugs out. This way you do not drill the hole any larger. Of course, you have to go to a hardware store and get some plugs to match to complete the re-install. You will have plenty left over for use elsewhere if needed. I hope this helps.
jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
randye
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lakeside
Posts: 606
M.O.C. #7139
I had the same thing on my wires behind the fireplace and I used butt conectors, with heat shrink tubing and so far all is good. I checked it after six months and look good. Like other stated the vibrations of the road loosen them and they short out. If you hook them and cover them they have nothing to rub on and short out.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Rick
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 60
M.O.C. #8298
Speaking of Dimplex Fire places.

I have a 09 3400rl with the dimplex fire place under the TV,
I was having problems with the fire place,
I would turn it on and the Fireplace would heat up and then the built in thermostat
would shut it down. It would not come back on again until I turned it off for awhile.
I figured that it should come back on once the place cooled down a little but no such luck.
So one day while in town I went into a fireplace store and was telling the dealer about my problem,
The dealer was great he called Dimplex and talked to them for me while I waited.

BINGO there was a upgrade for this model of Fireplace.

What was happening?
Well the fireplace would come up to Temp.and shut down, But it could not cool down as the lights were enough to keep the thermostat warm,

Problem not enough cool air,

What the upgrade is ?
Is an new bottom with air slots in it to let the fireplace get more cool air from the bottom.

This was a free upgrade.
FYI
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dimplex Fireplace-Fire!! barmar Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 9 01-11-2013 06:58 PM
Dimplex Fireplace Champ_49 Maintenance 14 12-16-2011 02:41 AM
Dimplex Fireplace pineranch Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 3 11-07-2011 03:07 PM
Possible Fire Hazard WaltandLynne General Discussions about our Montanas 5 11-13-2010 04:20 AM
Dimplex Fire embraceatrend Repairs & Service 13 02-09-2010 06:08 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×