Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Frustrated with Keystone/Not frustrated with Keys

For all that have been following my post of Frustrated with Keystone and Not frustrated with Keystone the saga continues !

Just received a call from Keystone service center that they had requested a replacement front cap from their supplier for the one that is defective,bad mold flat spot and 2 previous noticeable repairs. Said the manufacture of the cap says it can be repaired has and is sending a mobile repair technician Monday to the new dealer they have switched me to. I asked how he would be able to get the large flat spot out that the body shop they had just sent me to this past monday said the cap would have to be replaced and she did not know. Said it would have to be to my satisfaction, not sure that can happen at this point.

So far I have done everything they have asked.
1. Called keystone when problem was found/ told to return to dealer
2. Returned to dealer 150 miles away/ told it needed new cap
3. Dealer never followed up with Keystone.
4. Called Keystone after getting no answers from dealer.
5. Found out dealer had been lying to me as dealer had never contacted Keystone.
6. Keystone gets involved and within days had me hooked up with another dealer and to a body shop they use to get estimate.
7. Body shop reported back to new dealer & Keystone that it would need a new cap.

Now the manufature of the cap wants to send a mobile tech to new dealer and says they can repair.

I did not buy a 2nd and do not want a bandaid repair besides this being the third time I will be hauling someplace I have been told.

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If they are telling you "to your satisfaction" then make sure that they hold true to their word! As frustrating as it obviously is "hang tough". It sounds like eventually you'll get things the way you want! Good luck and keep us informed. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like the cap vendor does not want to spring for a new cap. Call Keystone and tell them what the vendor said. Keystone said new cap so new cap it should be...

Fiber glass repair is a common thing and can be done as good as new. I would be satisfied with a "good as new" repair job. How that cap got out of the factory and who repaired it and where are questions I would like answered. However you are the customer and you should be satisfied.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Keystone is the one dealing with the cap vendor, not me ! I just feel it has been repaired once by someone and I did not buy a 2nd when we ordered and purchased. And as the guy at the body repair shop said, one place they buffed through the clear coat, the other spot he thought had either been cracked or punctured and the flat spot that changes with temperature is a thin spot in the fiberglass about 8" x 24".
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
jliveit, the repair MAY look "good as new", but the long term effects of a repaired cap are not evident at this point. I think I would opt for a new cap and hold Keystone and the vendor to this standard. Just saying!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Now the manufacture of the cap wants to send a mobile tech to new dealer and says they can repair."... that is the manufacture saying that.. Keystone said a new cap. Does Keystone know the vendor is not doing what Keystone said they should do?? Don't you think Keystone should be aware of that... If keystone is dealing with the vendor and the vendor is not complying maybe you should let Keystone know.. Perhaps the vendor feels he can deal with you better than he can deal with Keystone.

Keystone wants you to have a new front cap.Let them deal with the vendor.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Just got a call from Keystone as to my question of how the mfg. of the cap intended to fix the flat spot and now I'm furious! They tell me they will use BODY Filler not fiberglass to fill this oblong indentation in and out the same day. What do I do ? Really hate the thought of this getting into a legal battle. I thought my warranty is with Keystone and not the cap mfg.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
You have done what they asked again and again with no satisfaction. It is time to get firm with Keystone. Don't be ugly but don't back down. You should receive a new front cap.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Just got off the phone with 2 body shops that deal in fiberglass repair one of which is the one Keystone sent me to. I asked their opinion on what the Mfg. of the cap proposed repair and got laughed at. They said #1 it is NEW and #2 it has been repaired in two places already and because of the contour of the area that has the indentation it would be very hard to do. Then went on to say on a NEW unit it should have a NEW cap. We are sick and would have never accepted it had it been disclosed at purchase after all someone (whoever put the decal on) had to see the 2 repairs that the decal did not quite cover.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I am confused......... this is what you said keystone said...... "Just received a call from Keystone service center that they had requested a replacement front cap from their supplier for the one that is defective," Are you now saying that keystone has backed down and is OK with the repair Or was Keystone answering a question as to how the vendor was going to repair the cap as your question to them indicated....... "Just got a call from Keystone as to my question of how the mfg. of the cap intended to fix the flat spot and now I'm furious! They tell me they will use BODY Filler not fiberglass to fill this oblong indentation in and out the same day.' What do I do ? Really hate the thought of this getting into a legal battle. I thought my warranty is with Keystone and not the cap mfg.

I am lost... keystone requested a new front cap from the vendor...

Vendor tells you ....no we will repair it

You ask question of keystone as to how will the vendor repair it....Keystone answers question.

So where does the new front cap stand. Did keystone say they have withdrawn their request to the vendor to replace???

I am completly lost..
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Yes Keystone says they have to let the Mfg of the cap repair it and have withdrawn what they said about replacing the cap. They Keystone is telling me that when they requested a replacement cap that the mfg of the cap (c&s gelcoat I think) said they wanted to see pictures and after getting them said it did not need replaced that they have this mobile repair tech that can fill it with body filler.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Looks like you are still under the 1 year Keystone warranty. I would have thought that if Keystone thought it needed an new cap and said so the vendor would , under the warranty have to replace it.
As for the term "body Filler" I am no expert but the material to repair fiberglass is a fiberglass material. Was at a wedding rehearsal dinner last night and spoke with a person who is a expert in fiberglass repair (boats). He indicated that in the case of the indentation if it was a large one it should not be filled but the area cut out and repaired. He also said that for the best results the repair should be done from the reverse side if at all possible. Which in your case would mean removing the cap and a mobile tech is not going to be able to do that.
Fiberglass repair is done all the time on high dollar boats and autos with no affect on durability or looks IF done by a professional. I question a mobil tech.

If the cap is still under warranty I would want a new cap and I do not understand wha Keystone is going along with the vendor on repair..

Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Keystone just called and says that they have to give the vendor the opportunity to repair it and this does not mean its the end of the road. And NO to the remove and cut it out idea they tell me the cap will not be removed and will just be filled from the outside and this is what I do not like. I told them that what ever the issue is the indentation gets worse with temperature and all I can imagine with the way they propose is it cracking around that area when it does. Then on that area as well as the 2 other already bably repaired spots is it sounds like they will just clear coat, not gelcoat and I can just see the chipping from bug hits now. Guess my warranty with Keystone is not with Keystone afterall since they are letting the cap Mfg. make the calls.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is what we know. Keystone can not repair the damage as they do not have the resources to do that. If you were at the service center they would send it out for repair which is basically what they are doing by allowing the vendor to repair the cap. Sounds like replace or repair is the vendors call.

It is not the end of the line..Sounds like if the customer is not satisfied with the repair there are other options.. You are still under warranty.
The warranty is with Keystone for the first year. During the first year Keystone takes the responsibility of correcting any issue you have. After the first year your warranty is directly with the vendor for their warranty.Many Items are vendor warrantied for more than 1 year.

If the repair is not to your liking you go back to keystone and start over.... I may be wrong but we have been on this forum for 6 years and this is the first issue of this kind that I recall.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Got a call from General Manager today after a email I sent last night and he and person that was head of the fiberglass dept at Keystone on a 3 way conference call with me. They say this happens, should have been caught before it was shipped and would have been repaired before it left. Did say they both felt it would be as good as and look like new when done and went a step farther in that in addition to the 1 yr the cap mfg was extending the warranty they Keystone would also give a additional year. Really put me a lot more at ease on this repair and very good conversation with them both.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Get it writing from both companies.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
He emailed this information after the phone call and I printed it out and put it in the owners manual.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We know many folks at Keystone since we are there every year at the Fall Rally and most of the Montana/keystone management folks are there. Can you remember the name of the "general manager" and the "head of the fiberglass department" at Keystone.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Tim Nusbaum and I believe Jeromy, both very professional and polite.