Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sewer hose on ground??????

I am parked three feet from my sewer at my present park. Hose is much longer. Does it hurt to have hose on ground, or do I need to circle it around on the elevated holder? First time I have run into this.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I always leave mine on the ground. Others may differ, but it has worked for me for many years now. I normally leave the grey tank open for the washer, and close the others until they need to be emptied, then I close the grey, drain the black and follow that with the galley.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have always let it lay on the ground..Why not????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Phil
We have left ours on ground for many years. Gravel or rocks will put some tiny holes in the thinner ones sometimes. Lately we have ran into some parks that require the hose to be off the ground (county or city regulations). We lost one hose once because a bird was pecking at it!!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The hardest thing on the hoses is the sun as it will deteriorate them. The sun is hard on just about every thing plastic because of the ultra violet rays.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks guys for the info. Settles that, I think!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I've always supported mine - when dumping it wants to jump around, and the weight tears it up especially if the hose is on a hard surface.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I take a couple of pieces of plastic gutter about 4-5 feet long each, telescope them, and put the sewer hose in them. I support them on a Slunky or blocks and use bungees to hold everything together. This helps the hose drain properly, keeps it from snaking around and me from stepping on it (but not tripping over it). It also makes it easier to rinse.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We're set up here for a long spell, so I went to Lowe's and got a piece of 4" pvc sewer line. Just cut to length, and slide the flex hose through and support with a block. Keeps those weed eater strings from attacking the flex line. (Now this was not my original idea; lots of folks here do this.)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I only put it on a slope if it is freezing, otherwise I leave it on the ground.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use the Slinky support. I also use the Rhino line that can be extended up to 15 or 20 ft. I also have a 5 ft Rhino extension that I can pull the adapter off of the long hose and put it on the 5 ft hose. I will say I have not had to use the extension yet. But I do have it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, if you are on grass, then I'd leave it on the ground. Otherwise I'd snake it around on an elevated platform. You'll never again see our rig with a sewer hose on the ground unless it is grass. I've had too many hoses spring pinhole leaks because of the shimmy on hard surfaces when the water surges through it. That vinyl rubs off where the metal wire is and then you have pinholes. We've not sprung any of these leaks since in several years since I changed the procedure.

If you have extra hoses, why not cut off a hose to make it a shorty and keep it around for similar situations in the future?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, good idea about cutting a smaller hose. I didn't think of that one. Thanks....
Old 02-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Some parks and some local laws require them to be OFF the ground.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, you could take a long hose and cut off a three or four feet and still the original hose would be usable in most places. We've been in some places in Arizona where the CG rules specifically state the law is they cannot touch the ground. We're in one of those right now. It was the same at our parks in Benson and Yuma. I'm not sure if it's a state law or local laws.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have two drane hoses the long one, and a short one medium quality for occaisonal short hops, and it will hit the ground. the long hose is always off the ground and is the better hose of the 2.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
...and here I thought I was being original when I found that telescoping gutter material...only to find others are doing it too. It just goes to show you great minds think alike...

I also have the set of Rhino hoses (short, long, and couplers), but those twist on connections are scaring me and I haven't used them yet...they don't look like they would hold like they should.

So those are ok? They don't leak?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have ours off the ground just to make it easier for the entire hose to drain. We have two Rhino hoses and the couplers Ozzie and the twist on connections work really well. No leaks.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ozzie, by twist on connections do you mean the kind with what looks like threads on them? All the ones I've had are red in color. I've found they work fine if you leave them on the hose but if you remove them and reinstall them very often they do tend to leak. I have those on my hoses right now and have added the four inch screw down clamps used for sewer hoses but they're not stopping the leaks. So I'm going to be replacing the connections with the standard slide on and screw clamp them down type. With the 3400 storage compartment I don't need to remove the connectors so it won't be an inconvenience once installed.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Steve - The Rhino hoses that I have are the stiff heavy material and have orange threaded ends. These connectors screw on over the hose and seem questionable to me especially without an adhesive.
I like the idea of the heavy hose that you can adjust the length, but I have a little story to tell you...

I bought a Rhino hose to try one out last year. Spring fever hit, I was out doing some remodeling work on the trailer and decided to build a storage system in my main storage area. I took the brand new Rhino hose out of the box (it was still a little cold out) and the hose cracked. I never even got to use it. I called the manufacturer and not only did they replace the one I purchased, but added a second longer hose with some couplers to reach those far away spots.
While I am thrilled with the service, I am hesitant to use this product. For sure I will not handle it when it is anywhere near freezing temperatures.
So I decided to go with the the heaviest stinky slinkies I could find - and now have more hose than I know what to do with...LOL

...those Rhino hoses are still sitting in the box...never even tried them yet.