Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Front Jack Style

Our Monty is a 2000 model- The front jacks have a cover over the top of the jack post that can not be removed due to 2 bolts each that can only be removed after the entire system has been removed from the unit- Are any MOCers out there with this brand of jack? I can not lube these jacks- Almost 12 years old now- Who is the manufacturer of these jacks? Surely, at this time some lubrication is needed- The original 12 volt motor is also in place- Am I worried for no good reason? All opinions appreciated- THANX in advance- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
When my dealer bent one of my front jacks while moving my brand new Monty around on his lot, I got possesion of it when the new one was installed. There is no super duper system on the lone grease jerk towards the top of the outer shell on the newer jacks. All it is is a jerk installed in the outer tube ... when you grease it, grease just haphazardly falls on the inner screw. You could drill a hole on yours, install a grease jerk, and be similar to the new ones. My replacement jack had no jerk, so that is exactly what I did. Coat your drill bit with grease before you drill and most all the shavings will stick to the bit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Don,
I had a 2001 Montana and the cover on the top of the leg just pry ed off with a screw driver.. I think yours will probably do the same then you can put grease on the gears at the top. I also put a little oil in the leg so it would run down the screw that runs the leg up and down.
Hope this helps.
Wayne
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You had me there for a moment talking about a jerk ... I thought you were referring to the guy that bent your landing leg!!
I soon realized you meant a zerk fitting. Good advice to install a zerk fitting, though metal shavings in the tube would make me nervous. Putting grease on the bit is a good tip.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

When my dealer bent one of my front jacks while moving my brand new Monty around on his lot, I got possesion of it when the new one was installed. There is no super duper system on the lone grease jerk towards the top of the outer shell on the newer jacks. All it is is a jerk installed in the outer tube ... when you grease it, grease just haphazardly falls on the inner screw. You could drill a hole on yours, install a grease jerk, and be similar to the new ones. My replacement jack had no jerk, so that is exactly what I did. Coat your drill bit with grease before you drill and most all the shavings will stick to the bit.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Pug

M.O.C. #11348
I have replaced one of my legs and installed dual lift motors on my SOB. On top of the legs was a pop off cap that you can push grease into. "Carefully drilling slowly using a greased bit and threading for a zerk below the top isn't to hard either and then you can pump grease in until the cows come home.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote