Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Gotcha Brad, now it makes sense to me. I am still new on maneuvering around these RVs. I think this is the best thing for me to do. Just run a dedicated circuit for the air compressor. One more question if I could. Where do you buy the receptacles with the little plastic swivels on the ends (like a cut-in box uses) that is used hold them in the wall. I haven't pulled any of them out of the walls yet; but, I was told that no RV uses wall boxes to house the receptacles in.

Again, many thanks for the info.

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Buddy,

The RV electrical devices are self contained, so they don't need a box. I have never found them, and actually don't like they way they splice into the wire. I just used "shallow" cut-in boxes from Home Depot. It gets tight in there, but they work if you use the side screws instead of the push in terminals (Most force you to anyway with 12-gauge wire because the push in holes are gauged to 14). For the basement, you could even surface mount, or go to the ceiling like Keystone did.

Good luck, and add a battery operated smoke detector to the basement while your down there! (my community service part in lieu of standing on the corner with the fire boot this year)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #23
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Your compressor places a maximum draw of 12 amps on the circuit. Its first peak is when it starts and it then reaches its maximum as it builds pressure. Ten seconds into its running it is probably drawing significantly less then 12 amps.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #24
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks Brad for the info on the boxes, and the suggestion about the smoke detector. I'll add one when I run the new circuit. We are going to be in Pigeon Forge all next week so it will be week after next before I can get to it.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote