Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Water Heater Noise

Our water heater just started making a whirling noise when you turn on the water, stops when you aren't running water. Seems to work fine although I don't think as well on electric as water. Wondered if anyone knows what this noise is? Our other Montana never made it. The noise is there regardless is running on gas or electric. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We are in Nashville heading to Memphis today.

Safe travels.
Lorraine

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just noticed ours singing when the DW was taking a shower. There was a posting on this and I believe the answer was the anode rod. I need one anyway so I'll try that next time out.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Would it be possible the overflow check valve (is this what it is called, to prevent too much pressure build up), needs to be reseated?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Some have said it may be mineral buildup in the heater but ours just started making that humming noise and I just flushed the heater out a month ago. I noticed it the last time the DW took a shower and I was watching TV. It took me awhile to locate the source of the noise but it was coming from the water heater. The anode is still good, has a few pits but not many and not large. I will flush it again before we head out to Goshen... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have the same sound and it isn't the anode rod or the check valve or flushing. The reason I say this is just 2 weeks ago I replaced the rod, excercise the valve and flushed it for 15 minutes.
Today I still have the problem. On the 30th I have an appointment at Keystone CS and this noise is on my list.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Thanks all for the responds - Glenn, let us know what you find out. We arrived at what was the ABC CG outside of Memphis on I55 to find it is now a KOA.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lorraine,
I will do that.

After the 2007 Branson rally we stopped of at ABC May of last year. We had been there the year before and liked it. When I walked in the office the clerk and her husband (workampers) were wearing the bright yellow KOA shirts When I asked what that was about she informed me that KOA had just taken over ownership Wednesday of that week. They were still using the old ABC rates but said they would be changing (going up) in the next week or so. We did stay the one night as planned but told the women that seeing as it is now a KOA we would never return.

I avoid any and all KOAs. If the only CG around is a KOA I will continue on down the road. I have yet to find a KOA that is not $10 to $20 dollars higher.

OOPS sorry for derailing the thread.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
There is a brass check valve on the back side of the water heater that can get partially plugged by debris from the inside of the tank. The check valve is designed to allow hot water out into the water lines, but not allow cold water back into the water heater.

Click Here

If you are getting a noise regardless of the faucet you are using, and when using hot water, this is probably the culprit.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I have a related question/problem. In the last month or so, my hot water heater has been making noticable noise when the electric element is heating up the water. The noise isn't tied to water running--just heating. Is that likely related to the anode? Or to a heater element going bad? I figured I'd pull and check the anode when we get to Goshen as I haven't been anywhere close to a place where I could buy a new anode rod since the noise appeared.

Sorry if this hijacks the thread, but I thought Lorraine's and our problems could be related.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
David,

I would say that your heating element has pits in it, causing localized temperature extremes. If it is bothering you, replace the element.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Michael,
Is that brass check valve in your pick the original? Or was the original plastic? I think you're probably right - it only sings with water flow so it would make sense that the check valve is the culprit.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Our original was brass. I bought two for $24, at a local RV parts dealer. Could have done better via mail order. Haven't had any noise since I replaced the original. The noise was really bothersome, at least to me.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just ordered a couple - Thanks Michael.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
My take on this, for what it is worth:

If noise is only when water is flowing, then it is probably something to do with the outler check valve. Could be scale caught in it, of perhaps it is on the point of failure and has some loose components.

If it occurs when no water is flowing, but the heating element is likely to be on, then it is probably a build-up of scale on or around the heating element. That can be fixed by flushing out the tank, and if necessary replacing the element.

Too bad about ABC going KOA. We have stayed there several times in our travels. ABC ran a good basic campground, KOA will probably tart it up with services that we don't want or need, and charge more for them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Will do all the checking when we get home, we are now in Russellville, Arkansas for the night. The lady gave us a good rate at the former ABC(not as good as our PA, of course) but wanted to stay fairly close to Memphis. We avoid KOA's as a general rule. Just a note about a great place to eat - I-40, Exit 183 Nick's.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
tumbleweed

M.O.C. #3270
You might also want to check the check valve at the city water connection. This check valve prevents water from flowing out the city connection when the pump is being used. If your unit will not hold presure with the pump, the check valve could be leaking. It is also capable of making noise when connected to city water.
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote