Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
cooksters
Established Member

M.O.C. #2646
BRYCE CANYON

Anyone out there ever taken their Montana to Bryce Canyon in Utah? We are planning a spring fling and were wondering if there are any hot tips on that location. We went to Zion last spring and had a blast at a wonderful campsite within the park...in-spite of only having power hookup.
So we are wondering of any Bryce experiences?
Thanks folks see ya on the road
Cooksters

cooksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We haven't, yet, but would appreciate hearing your recommendations for both of those parks. We hope to visit one or both in probably September. Thanks and good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
cooksters
Established Member

M.O.C. #2646
Steve and Vicki,
We visited Zion National park the week before Memorial day last year. The weather was absolutly perfect...I mean perfect, low humidity, warm, not hot temps, crystal clear blue skys, with perfect night temps for sitting around the fire and then sleeping. The campgrounds were the very best in any National park I've visited. They were immaculate, and in perfect repair. The RV park sites are very wide, long, and there are plenty of great spots for those of you with 3400's and larger. The dump and water station is near by and very easily accessible. We managed to never have to refill our fresh water tank. We used creative water conservation, "That's what I call drinking beer." We stretched our supply for the whole week. We each took a shower every night too. We would go back there again in a heartbeat. However, there are so many places to see in that part of the country. We have changed our phylosophy about traveling. Instead of driving around like crazy people trying to see as many places as possible, spending most of your time on the road and not relaxing, which is the whole purpose of vacation, we have incorporated the more laid-back approach...stay put, spend more quality time enjoying where we are and then get into the details of that area, as well as spending time in our beautiful Montana, instead of getting back home just to go to bed. So were are planning on staying in the park and campgrounds and limiting our roaming in the truck. By the way Zion has limited the amount of vehicles traveling through the park. You now have to ride on a great system of shuttle buses that gets you through the canyons, and I have to admit it's great, if you've ever been to Yosemite and waited in long lines of cars you know what I mean. Zion is also so very beautiful...my wife has put together the most incredible scrap book from there...it's stunning, and she has received accolades from all of her Creative Memories Customers. The one trip away from there that I do recommend is go through the Zion tunnel, a unique adventure in itself, and travel East for about 80 miles to Coral Pink Sand Dune State Park. A $5 fee to an incredible place wants you to bring your ATV or sand buggy, because that's what they do there, run the dunes. There are about 20 RV spots there and if I were into that type of activity I'd deffinatly got there to play.
Wow, I've babbled on about Zion and that area...I guess it means that I was very impressed with it. If you like it hot, then the summer is the time to go, it's way over a 100 throughout the summer, guess that's why they have A/C only at the sites.
By the way Steve and Vicki
We are also Steve and Vicky
cooksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the great information, Steve and Vicky! I am saving your post for future reference. It sounds like you did very well with the water. I'm not so sure we could do that well although we may have to try!

Your approach to visiting an area sounds much like ours. Like you, we started our fulltiming in "vacation mode", trying to cram as much as we can into a short period of time. Then we realized we don't have to go back to work, we don't have to rush. We DO have to clean the place and we do need some time to just relax and be retired. And we love to find the little out of the way places you might never know are there. We have found some truly amazing places that way. The "details of the area" as you so eloquently described it. We've gone from spending a couple of days to a week to spending a couple of weeks to a month in places that interest us. We arrived here in Savannah yesterday and plan to stay two months while waiting for warmer weather up north and to give us time to really get to explore this area.

I would love to see Vicky's scrapbook sometime. Utah is a state I've wanted to spend time in for a very long time. We're hoping to spend a month there this coming September. That will not be enough but it will be a start. We cannot, unfortunately, make it there around Memorial Day. Family commitments.

Thanks again for the terrific information.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote