Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Montana_3526

M.O.C. #3526
Hi I have a problem with the Main Slideout

We took delivery of our KEYSTONE MOUNTAINEER 328RLS on April 29 2005.
The problem we have is that the main slide out on the door side. The seal on the inside rear of the main slide is flush on the bottom and is about 1 1/5" out from the wall at the top corner. The front edge seal is flush with the wall top to bottom....?? To look at the top edge of the trim from front to back it appears to be warped. Anybody have any thoughts. I've tried to get the dealer in RI up to look at it for the past month and a half I'm about ready to call Montana directly the RI service is awful.......!@#!We also have a problem with the hot water heater. The light stays on when you push power bottom and never goes out. Every other camper I've owned once the heater lights the light goes off and if it goes out ie: run out of gas it goes back on.

Montana_3526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This note is only in regard to the water heater switch. The switch on the inside panel is related ONLY to the propane operation of the heater, and the light only indicates that the switch is ON (exactly comparable to the PUMP switch beside it). It does not indicate that the heater is burning. I should more modestly say that this is how the switch on our Montana operates. The electric switch is in the outside water heater compartment: a small "rocker" switch. We leave our electric switch in the ON position when we are traveling. That way the heater comes on immediately upon hook up and , of course, goes off when we disconnect for road travel.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
RhodeTruck,
There is obviously something that needs adjusting on the slide. There is a member on the MOC that works for the folks that make the slides. MIMF I think is his username. He is the one that can answer your concern about the slide.

On our Montana there is no indicator that the ELECTRIC part of the HWH is on. The rocker switch inside that lights up is for the propane.... as indicated by padredw.

Good luck,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There is a small light next to the water heater propane switch. I'm not positive how it works but I think that small light comes on when the heater is attempting to light and goes off when it lights. If yours is staying on you may have a problem with getting propane to the heater or perhaps propane is getting there but not lighting. Check the fuses to make sure none are burned out. They should be on the converter electrical panel. It takes a 12v connection to light the propane. Also, check for bugs or cobwebs in the tube inside the cover on the outside. When ours failed to light I blew in there (by mouth) and blew out a little bug. It then lit fine. If none of this works your dealer should deal with it. If you are unhappy with the dealer or he won't help, I'd recommend you call Keystone and complain about the dealer and ask for another dealer you can go to. Good luck. Please let us know how this turns out.

By the way, when ours was trying to light but wouldn't I could smell propane when I pulled the outside panel so I knew it was getting propane. There also could be something wrong with the igniter but that's a dealer fix.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:43 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Steve's reply makes me think that not all our systems may be alike. For sure there is NO "ignition light" on our panel. The rocker switch (inside the trailer) simply indicates that the switch is ON, just exactly as the pump switch next to it only indicates that the switch is ON to the pump, not that the pump is engaged.

My point is: we can only speak from our own experience in our own unit, so all our responses must be read in that light.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
When my PROPANE rocker switch is turned on, there is a small red light to the right of the switch that will come on. This small light goes out after the pilot is lit. The actual rocker switch does stay lit after the pilot lights.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
In our 2005 3400RL the red light comes on as soon as the ignition switch is turned to the on position and stays on until the switch is turned off. There is no indication that the heater is working or if the propane has failed to ignite. In our motorhome, the light was only lit when the switch was turned on and immediately went out when the pilot light lit.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
I have a 3400 and my breaker for the water heater had popped. Therefore my water heater toggle switch was on (red)all the time. It was using gas. Before the breaker popped the toggle switch would be red at the very beginning then it would go out and be dark. I think it was using electric.
pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, thanks for the clue. I didn't realize they're not all the same. Ours is like Thunderman described, with both a lighted switch and a pilot light next to it that lights when the pilot is trying to light. On ours if it doesn't light within a certain amount of time the light will go off then come back on as it tries again. This switch on our 3295RK is almost on top of the water heater so I can hear the click as it tries to light and the pilot light goes on and off.

We keep the electric breaker turned off on ours since we're fighting breaker popping problems in general and don't need the extra amperage draw complicating things further. Newer models (starting with the late 2003 models) have a better electrical system less prone to this problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote