Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Mac GPS Software

I was planning to purchase a new PC laptop after the new Vista launch. I'm now giving some serious thought to a Mac. Is anyone using a Mac for navigation? What software, hardware? Pleased? Displeased? Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Andy,

After running Goggle for "GPS for Mac's", there seems to be stuff out there, but doesn't sound like it is up to snuff.
I use both Mac's & PC's at work & Home. Mostly PC's now. there is just so much more (cheaper) software out there.
Plus what you would pay for a Mac laptop, they would probably through a PC laptop in for free .
Will be interesting to see what is out there.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Thanks John, I to had Googled it and came up with the same conclusion. That's why I decided to check here. You're right about the cost, like you I've been using PCs for the last 25 years, and have always heard and read about how much better the Mac was, with greater stability and decided to look into the Mac. I went to they're site and found that I could purchase a refurbished unit that is less than a year old and save $500. Which now places me at about what I was going to pay for a Vista machine, that made it even more appealing. So I thought I'd do a little research. It seemed that even the people doing the reviews for Vista gave more praise for the Mac. I'm Contused

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I have a Mac and LOVE it! If you want to run a specific windows application the new intel Macs are great. They'll run both Mac and Windows software in native mode-no translations, just FAST. You get the best of both worlds. Check out program called Parallel. It is just absolutly cool. I have a 17" powerbook that I got refurbished and it was about the same cost as a WinTel laptop.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Route 66 works pretty well. However, I prefer the Garmin to Laptop arrangements. Also, after suffering with MS software glitches for years, we went all Mac for business and home use about 10 years back. Best decision we ever made.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
I have heard that Route 66 is OK on a Mac. Last week at MacWorld in San Francisco I saw RouteBuddy which seems good on a Mac but doesn't have complete maps for Canada yet.

Personally, I have been a Mac user since 1984 and today I use Microsoft Streets and Trips (A WIN XP program) on my MacBook Pro via Parallels and it works just fine. Up until this year I kept a Dell Latitude laptop just for GPS use in our truck but I don't need it anymore!

I work in a college and I'm responsible for about 1700 PCs and 300 Macs. I have one technician taking care of the Macs and about 10 taking care of the PCs. My department selects, installs, configures and repairs all of them. Don't let anyone tell you a PC is better. Your time is worth something and you will spend many hours on a regular basis fixing, updating, and yelling at a PC running Windows. Even our technicians are afraid to install Vista! Macs can occasionally be a pain but 99% of the time they just work without installing drivers, or configuring ports.

IMHO, You won't regret getting a Mac. You won't have to deal with viruses, trojans and other malicious code like MS Office!

Good luck!

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote