Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ace Key locks

Exactly like every other RV in the country our new Big Sky came with those garbage 751 locks on the basement doors. Where can I find some Ace Key(barrel)replacements. Every time we leave the rig somewhere I lock it all up and promptly forget that every other rig owner has keys to my rig. I haven't pulled one of the basement locks out yet to measure the length but I will as soon as I finish packing. Time is getting short to get out of here before the white stuff starts showing up... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
I'm not sure if you have a Camping World near you, but that is where I purchased mine. I think they came in a 4 pack and offered two different lengths. I think you can also buy them from their website.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Got ours at a lock shop. Went to a 4 pin tumber (I think)
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We took our lock tumblers out of the doors and took them to a lock shop. They replaced the pins and made new keys. $5 per lock? if I recall.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Rekeying the existing locks is probably the best idea. I "THINK" that all the cylinder locks also have the same keys.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Yall have to remember that if they want in there, it don't matter what key you put in the lock. I guess what I mean is I'd rather they just go ahead and open it with a key instead of a screwdriver. The key doesn't leave any damage.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go with Emmel on this one. A lock is just to keep an honest person honest. If a thief wants in your compartment all it takes is a screwdriver. Stick the screwdriver in the key slot and twist or for the round key locks such as they use on vending machines, just use the screwdriver to pry open the door.
In 4 years of full timing and staying in some 140+ RV parks we have yet to have anything stolen from any compartment and quite often my compartments aren't even locked. Some of those 140+ parks were first class parks but many had a number of perceived low life's and never a problem.
Also, there were a few times that having the same key as my neighbor came in very helpful. A few times I was able to unlock a neighbors rig when the spouse took the keys to go shopping. Twice the same thing occurred to me when Lorraine went to work and locked my keys in the trailer. I keep a spare entry door key hidden in one of the compartments.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Glenn, Good idea. I also keep a spare key for the compartments stashed away somewhere in the LP compartment. That way I can always get into the compartments. Then with some contortionism crawl up through the laundry shoot to the coach. Guess I could also store an extra door key there as well, since they are hidden.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Spare keys are a good idea however I keep ours in the truck and my wife carries a spare set for the truck.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I taped a key in my sewer hose compartment to an ACE key for the storage area. In the storage area I have a complete set of keys. Works for me.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 AM   #11
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
I replaced all my 751 keyed locks with a round combination lock I found at Camping World. A little pricey but definately worth the piece of mind.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:55 AM   #12
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
When it comes to the locks on the storage doors I just leave mine unlocked I would rather replace whatever they take then replace the doors.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To me the lock are just there to keep the doors from coming open in transit. The compartment doors are flimsy and can be cut through with most anything including a finger nailfile.I purchased on of those CW locks (745 key) to install on the fresh water door that did not have a lock and kept falling open in transit.Of course anyone who purchased one of those locks at CW or a RV shop also has the same key.Anything that gives peace of mind is a good thing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never considered changing my locks because anyone can open them with a screwdriver regardless of what kind of locks you have. Remember, a lock only keeps an honest person honest.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
This is something I am really thinking about. Anyone with a 751 can open your garage and if fairly lean prbably get into the coach through the Cloths hamper hatch.
I do not like that thought. I am going to change my exterior door locks for certain.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The only time our compartments are locked is when we are traveling. Like others have stated it is easier to replace stolen items than doors and stolen items. Now I have to McGuiver a trip wire from the laundry hatch to my shotgun. The possibility of a thief entering the coach from there never occured to me before. Lifes challenges never end.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
LOL, good idea, but that was one of the first things I mentioned to my wife when we first looked at the Montanas. I will probably put a hasp on the step inside just to slow them down a bit. That and 200 lbs of Lab (yellow and chocolate) ought to make them think twice. I understand what the guys are talking about with the flimsy basement doors but although I have insurance I really hate to piss away 500 bucks (my deductible) every time some schmuck wants to go tool shopping in my basement. In the last year we never had anything stolen but again we never left things unlocked when we were away either... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Old MOC trick for the trap door and fear of entry.

May not work on some models, have not looked at them all,

BUT for many of us,

OPEN THE BATHROOM TOILET DOOR. if left open it goes right over that trap door. Someone might lift it, but not open it.

Other thing, if you have a LOT of stuff in your basement, (you do, right??? we all do ), then they have to pop the lock, and take ALL that stuff out to get to the trap door. That takes time, which we hope will at least slow em down enough for another camper to come walking by and spook em.

Just a few rambling thoughts, All MOC priors
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I guess we've just been lucky. We seldom if ever even lock our basement doors. Even if you put on different locks it is so easy to simply pry open the doors it isn't even funny. I guess like some of the others..... I'd rather replace some of my "stuff" than to repair and or replace a door. Like I said.... we've just been lucky.

Hamrad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #20
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
I do work for CBS and have some very expensive equipment that is usually stored in the basement. I have an alarm on both basement doors with a lighted key switch. To remind me- LED lights green, OK to open,red- , disarm before opening (15 second delay). Loud siren! Alerts anyone in the area. Never have had an issue, but most people are honest.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote