Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Verizon in KY

Well, I had a wonder about Verizon over Cingular that I had posted here. My contract was up with Verizon and I was considering a change. In the end, I stayed with Verizon.

My wife went to Kentucky last week and we had a chance to try out Verizon from Ky to NV. Guess what, based on that experience, I would have dropped Verizon and went with Cingular! So many dropped calls that it was getting to the point that we decided if we had any really important business to conduct by phone that Verizon was not the way to go.

BTW, she is in Louisville.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I wonder if it is the Louisville area that may not have many repeating towers. I know I have Verizon and whenever we go through Louisville we loose signal there also. And from Indianapolis to Florida, that is the only area we don't have a good signal.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For whatever reason the state KY is not a good area for Verizon. It even shows that in their booklet. BUT I have not had any other problems.

Well maybe northern New York in the Ogdensburg area but than again that areas lucky to have cable TV and any kind of towers are few and far between unless you look across the border into Canada.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We live in Western Ky. Had Cingulsr first hated it. Dropped calls couldn't get out& etc. Switched to Verzion 2 & half yrs ago basically no problems. Go to Tx. in winter call home talk to son all over U. S. Am happy with it.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We usually reprogram our Verizon phone when we go to a new area. Maybe that would help in Kentucky. *228 and Send usually does it.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Have never had Verizon so cannot speak to them. However, we've used Cingular all over this country with excellent results. There are places with no signals but we never drop calls from our end. And the no signal sites are very rare, like Cannonville, UT, where nobody but Sprint has a signal (they have a nearby tower). We will stay with Cingular. We've found them superior to the Verizon one of our kids had (past tense. He got fed up and switched). He and I rode in the same car for well over a hundred miles. His kept dropping the signal. Ours was full strength the entire trip. I guess this all depends on the individuals locations and usage and personal experiences.

We also have found the type of phone makes a difference. For some reason the flip phones do not seem to pick up signals as well as the cheaper type phones. We have seen this repeatedly when talking with neighbors with and without flip phones. Two of those couples are members here and were next to us in Hungry Horse, MT. They and we with cheaper phones had good signals. They with flip phones standing next to us did not. And those were both Cingular and Verizon. So I think the phone plays a role in signal strength, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have had AT&T wireless forever, then when Cingular bought them out I stayed with them as they kept my current plan. I have been all over these great United States of ours and have had very little trouble with making or receiving calls. Now the carrier that I would stay away from was Nextell, the coverage was horrible and inconsistant. Dont know how they are now since Sprint bought them out as I will be staying with Cingular.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote