Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
"PITCH"

I just discovered that the are 2 8x10 very sticky patches of pitch on my awning, one on the underside and one where it rolled on top. Any ideas to remove it would be appreciated, I need to get it off before it gets hard.. Peanut butter works on dried pitch but not so well on the awning sticky stuff up her in squirrel land...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Joyce used something called Goo Gone on ours.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
WD40 will work.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I will try goo gone tomorrow, WD-40 is a bit harsh for the vinyl. This isnt regular pine pitch either it has to be Tamarack pitch as that is the only area I had the awning out for any time.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, When we stayed near Boston a couple years ago we got a lot of pitch on ours also. My BIL and I used fkinger nail polish remover. We had to do it everyday we were there, nightmare for sure, but the polish remover worked pretty well. We did find the quart bottles of the stuff, but you still have to scrub afterwards. Nasty stuff. Love camping under the trees, but not the mess they and the birds can make....Oh, another item that might work is adhesive remover that a medic or nurse uses in a hospital. You could probably find this stuff in a home health supply store. It works really well on the skin to remove tape adhesive.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Hand sanitizer works. I've tried many things , wd40, goo gone, mineral oil, etc. Hand sanitizer worked for me.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I have tried Goo Gone, lamp oil and 2 other solvents with little or no success. But I tried 91% isopropil alcohol and it cut it right away. I had some white pine pitch and balsam pitch on the roof and they both cut with goo gone and lamp oil, so Tamarack sap only cuts with alcohol. After all the tries I washed the awning with awesome and hot water and it looks pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions anyway...Dave
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey, come on down to Nebraska or meet us half way somewhere and I'll let you clean my awning and roof too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
Denatured alcohol works better than anything I have used before.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've got a herd of small creatures that rolled up on the awning when we left the corp (rolled it up after dark and didn't think) and have now dried and baked on there (didn't open it again until today). With your expertise it should be no problem if you could get it for me at the Rally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Carefully scrape the big chunks off with a Popsicle stick then saturate with awesome and role it back up for an hour. When you unroll it have the hose ready and rinse, that usually takes everything off. You might need to do a light scrub on it but now much. Mine was filthy along with the pitch so I mixed a batch of 50/50 awesome/water and put it in a pump sprayer. I soaked the awning and rolled it up for an hour or so. While it was rolled up I scrubbed the exposed area near the top of the rolled up awning.