Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
12 Volt DC Questions

Several questions for the old pros here.

I'm still fuzzy on what exactly this switch in the convenience center controls. It's a high current switch it appears.

What happens at the converter 12VDC side when the battery bank is disconnected? Assuming that shore power is still connected, if I open the circuit to the battery bank, can that damage the charging circuit in the converter?

I want to install a way to easily, totally disconnect the battery bank from the house. Was thinking of using this switch.

on the negative side of the battery bank. Will that be a viable location?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
what are you doing exactly?

If you want to disconnect your battery(s) just take off the negative wire.

If you are going to keep your 120 voltage plugged in why do anything? Let your system charge the batteries.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I installed a cut off switch on the Ground wire so when I store my RV the battery wont be drained by things that don't shut off. i used to remove the ground wire every time but that will wear out the battery cable. Much easier to just turn the switch. When plugged in I never feel a need to disconnect the battery.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
what are you doing exactly?

If you want to disconnect your battery(s) just take off the negative wire.

If you are going to keep your 120 voltage plugged in why do anything? Let your system charge the batteries.
I'm wanting to be able to easily open the circuit to the battery bank when working on other things or to stop the charging of the battery bank. Thanks for the suggestion. It's been doing that for 2 years now and the voltage always reads 13.2-13.3. I might contact directly Progressive Dynamics. They make the converter/charger. Just wanting to know if there might be bad things happening if the charging circuit does not see any voltage when the battery bank is disconnected.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
If you don't want the converter to send power down the 12v charge line during maintenance, turn the breaker off in the main panel (assuming it's dedicated).
Old 12-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
On a side note to this thread, I have the same switch in my convenience center, is it in the off position when the smaller point is turned to off? Also, I believe I also have a battery disconnect switch in my front compartment by the battery. Is there a reason for two switches?
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The switch in the convenience center is open or off when you can remove the red key from the switch, and that is probably when the switch key is pointing to the OFF position. You don't say what rig you have, but saying you have a second disconnect switch in your front compartment indicates you probably have a residential fridge in your rig, and that switch is for the inverter that makes AC voltage for your fridge when not connected to a pedestal.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
On a side note to this thread, I have the same switch in my convenience center, is it in the off position when the smaller point is turned to off? Also, I believe I also have a battery disconnect switch in my front compartment by the battery. Is there a reason for two switches?
Convenience center switch is off when the red key can be taken out. Same as the one I'm adding to the negative cable. One in the battery compartment just above the small fuses/breakers is to remove power to the inverter that runs the refrigerator.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
If you don't want the converter to send power down the 12v charge line during maintenance, turn the breaker off in the main panel (assuming it's dedicated).
Which breaker? Surely not the main? Can the other 12 volt devices work if the converter is not charging the battery bank?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Food for thought (unless I am misinformed) ...
Your slide outs, levelers, and other 12v circuits run on 12v. I.E. your batteries regardless of being connected to shore power. In those circuits, your batteries “absorb” the high load without having to have 00 gauge wiring throughout the RV.
Isolating the batteries, as you seem to be suggesting, other than for storage, to me, would be detrimental.
(At least as I understand)
JMHO
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Food for thought (unless I am misinformed) ...
Your slide outs, levelers, and other 12v circuits run on 12v. I.E. your batteries regardless of being connected to shore power. In those circuits, your batteries “absorb” the high load without having to have 00 gauge wiring throughout the RV.
Isolating the batteries, as you seem to be suggesting, other than for storage, to me, would be detrimental.
(At least as I understand)
JMHO
I finished the install of the negative side cut off this last weekend. Will be used to easily disconnect at will without screwing around with tools and connections. I eliminated the PIA post on the top of the battery box - just more connections, completely unnecessary.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I finished the install of the negative side cut off this last weekend. Will be used to easily disconnect at will without screwing around with tools and connections. I eliminated the PIA post on the top of the battery box - just more connections, completely unnecessary.
Had an issue with slides and hyd. legs not moving when trying to leave Calif. last Jan, removed battery box lid with those "extra" connections and wired direct and no more issues . got home and replaced 2-12v with 2-6v AGMs and new battery box with no lid connections and also installed cutoff switch on neg ground near battery box. Added 2 12v lights in trunk area also. A great improvement. No more loose connections on lid...no more checking levels in batteries and can shut down everything with no tools needed and can now see what I am looking for. Another happy camper here.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote