Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
3400 rl search and reviews

Greetings All. This is my first post here. I have been on the road for 10 years fulltiming and am looking to get a new rig to trade mine in on.. I currently have a 35 footer with 3 slides and interested in the 3400 or 3455. I would appreciate any reviews or hints. I am also willing to travel to exchange with any dealer. SO suggestions on good service/sales to check with would also be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

chipc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
we have a 2009 3455SA. We would buy it again. That being said, we are disappointed in the bedroom closet. Due to the shape of the rig, the closet is quite narrow. Other than that, very comfortable living in it. We are fulltimers. Happy with the amount kitchen cabinets.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We did A LOT of shopping before we settled on the 3400. Every time we thought we may have found a better rig, we kept coming back to our final choice...it meets our needs and we love it. With that said, RVs are like clothes...each person has her own idea of what is right for her. If given the opportunity, we would not change our 3400. We will send you info from the dealer we used via email...do not believe the forum rules allow for that type of info to be posted. Happy travels in whatever Montana you finally pick.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
Thanks for your quick response. I tend to like to entertain and cook. It appears that the 3400 allows that to take place while u are messing in the kitchen area. Question: some have told me that it is difficult to get the rig stabalized due to the mohr ride suppension system. Have u experienced that? And thanks for sending me info on your dealer via email. All this can help me make a solid decision.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have not had any significant problems stabilizing our rig, but we do not expect to eliminate all movement...of course, our point of reference is recently moving up to the Montana from a travel trailer...sort of like walking on a flat bottom boat in heavy surf while in the travel trailer...difference between night and day with the Montana.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
I also viewed the closet quarters as being a little narrow. Thanks for the observation. say I too also had a fuel station mishap during my first early period pulling. I quickly learned to get out often and look for myself. Hope u get yrs fixed soon. When u were looking what was your review of the 3400?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phyllen

we have a 2009 3455SA. We would buy it again. That being said, we are disappointed in the bedroom closet. Due to the shape of the rig, the closet is quite narrow. Other than that, very comfortable living in it. We are fulltimers. Happy with the amount kitchen cabinets.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Chip: Our previous rig was a 2007/3400 and we just traded for a 2010/3455. The main reason that got us started on a new unit was for the all enclosed bathroom. We do have our daughters & companions come for a lake visit once or twice a year and of course they basically had to come into our bedroom in the 3400 for the washroom. As for the rest of the layout we just loved the 3400 and if you never have company that stays it is perfect. One other thing we found on the 3400 was that while sitting at the desk in coooool temps it was quite chilly, now with the desk up front we should have that problem. It might also come down to the 3400 closet at the front door where the 3455 is without. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
U see it is the front closet and the closet by the head board that I find appealing in the 3400. I too note the split bath feature that complicates privacy when I have guest. One plus thing is that they do not stay to long! Thanks for the input. Say how do u account for the drafty corner desk?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Chip: Our previous rig was a 2007/3400 and we just traded for a 2010/3455. The main reason that got us started on a new unit was for the all enclosed bathroom. We do have our daughters & companions come for a lake visit once or twice a year and of course they basically had to come into our bedroom in the 3400 for the washroom. As for the rest of the layout we just loved the 3400 and if you never have company that stays it is perfect. One other thing we found on the 3400 was that while sitting at the desk in coooool temps it was quite chilly, now with the desk up front we should have that problem. It might also come down to the 3400 closet at the front door where the 3455 is without. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
chip, we have the Big Sky 340RL, which is the same floor plan as the 3400. We are also fulltimers and like this floor plan. A couple of things that tipped this floor plan in our favor are the big pantry, the 4 door fridge and the washer/dryer closet big enough for a stacked washer and dryer. We have been living in this rig for just over a year and really enjoy it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chip, We have been fulltiming in our '06 3400 for three years. We feel it is the perfect fit for us. We like: Closet by the door, we put a small fridge/freezer in it; Angled TV cabinet, don't like looking at TV with a bent neck; desk, which has never been drafty; counter space by the stove, big enough for an espresso machine. We have the single door fridge which could be bigger. Like the L shaped counter. Like the BIG picture window out of the back, like the wardrobe next to the bed. room for two to get ready in bath. Great for two people, not convenient for guests unless intimate guests. Throne room is a little tight. We added JT Stabilizers to help with stability, work great. We also added MorRyde hitch pin and MorRyde Independent suspension with never lube hubs and disc brakes. This will probably be the only unit we will own as we are in year three of our 7 year plan to continue to live in this great little home. Eventually to place it permanently some where.

IF, and only IF, we were to buy again the 3750 with the front living room might appeal to us, if not it would be a Big Sky 340RL with a full paint scheme and a 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually beast......painted to match. My only complaint is the cheap carpet we have and would probably change out to a laminate floor, Maybe this winter in Arizona.....Perhaps the newer ones come with better carpet......

Good luck and I hope this helps somewhat.........

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the Big Sky 340 that has the same floor plan and live in it full time... We love the floor plan. I am at the desk for several hours (computer junkie) and do not feel the draft. If it is a little chilly, I just turn the fireplace on and get nice and cozy.. I too love to cook and the wrap counter is wonderful for that.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Our 1st rig was a 2008 3400. We traded it for a 2010 3455. Let me first say, we are weekender's, not full-timers so our needs are somewhat different.

We like with bath in the 3455 much better than the 3400 mainly for size, comfort and privacy. Truth be known, that was the big selling point for us.

We don't have the 'inside step' but had to install a 4 step unit outside as the risers on the 3 step were too high on the 3455. We liked the 2nd window next to the bed on the 3455. The trade off is losing the 2nd bedroom closet (might be a big consideration for a full-timer).

I preferred the angled TV and desk area that Phil and Cathy mentioned on the 3400. We made the 3455 work better for us by swapping the couch and recliners. To give us enough room, we removed 2 of the dining room chairs.

I also think I might miss the entry hall closet if I were full-timing.

Hope that helps.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hey Chip: We are not sure how to account for the cold desk slide on the 3400 and let me say that it is only a factor when one camps in cooler temps and especially in below freezing temps, others on this forum have had the same problem. Inch for inch there is less bedroom storage in the 3455 but we find ourselves continually on a quest to travel with minimum amounts of cargo. How many clothes does one need, we all seem to have toooo many in our closets! We are adjusting to not having the front closet as well and now in hindsight ours was a catch all for a lot of things we really should have put away else where. As far as the bathroom one needs to sit down on the throne and try exiting a few times. If one is a larger or tall person it is quite a confined area. Phil's point is a valid one but as in with our past 07/3400 we have again swapped the recliners and sofa bed for straight on tv viewing. In the end, it's your informed decision to make and hopefully our experiences here have helped with that. Keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Montana line is a solid mid level 5th wheel in line with the Jayco, cardinal, Etc. The 06 3400 has served us well long timing but not without some problems as all brands have. Most of us say it is a good bang for the buck. It is subject to the quality issues that most all brands have. We have had 5 rv's and all have been different brands so it is doubtful that we would buy the same brand again. That does not mean we are dissatisfied owners. We give the Montana high marks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chip, our 3400RL will be four years old in August. All of that time has been fulltiming. Every floorplan has positives and negatives but this one has served us very well. We still have not seen a floorplan anywhere that we like better. That's not to say there are not some minor changes we'd like, of course.

As for traveling to purchase, that opens some alternatives to you. Before we bought our prior Montana I took the options list and wrote down every option we wanted. I then did the equivalent of googling and located a bunch of Montana dealers online. I emailed my list to each, describing exactly what we wanted and what we had to trade. I also told them I'm emailing several dealers and will consider the best offers. I got quite an array of prices. It turned out our local dealer's price was just slightly higher than the best price and when factoring travel cost (we were not fulltiming yet in 2002) we decided to buy from him. Anyhow, an internet search like that might work to your benefit.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask your questions here. By the way, we're on our third Montana since January 2001. Keystone's support is a big part of those decisions as is our dealer and, of course, we think Montana is the best bang for the buck. Your buck might have a different bang, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
Good info for me. i will checkout the Big Sky...have not looked at one or its specifications......you have given me some good verifications for my desires.....[quote]Originally posted by bob n pam

chip, we have the Big Sky 340RL...
chip
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
another vote for the Big Sky today....have u had it out in near freezing weather yet? Tobad I did not do this prior to u driving thru Bismarck on 94. I am working 35 miles North at a State Prk. Thanks Helen for reminding me about the fireplace....[quote]Originally posted by adelmoll

We have the Big Sky 340 that has the same floor plan and live in it full time... We love the floor plan.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
Thanks Ken....I too removed 2 of the freestanding table chairs and replaced them with near matching folding chairs that I store in my washer/dryer space. [quote]Originally posted by brenkco

Our 1st rig was a 2008 3400. We traded it for a 2010 3455. Let me first say, we are weekender's, not full-timers so our needs are somewhat different.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
Your comments have aided me in my selection process Ken. Appreciate it.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Hey Chip: In the end, it's your informed decision to make and hopefully our experiences here have helped with that. Keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
chipc
Established Member

M.O.C. #10517
This will be my 4th 5er as well in an many different brands. The info I am getting here is helping me sort. I do not mind benefiting from yr experiences [quote]Originally posted by richfaa

The Montana line is a solid mid level 5th wheel in line with the Jayco, cardinal, Etc. The 06 3400 has served ....