Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Well the DW (a.k.a. Queen Elizabeth) is out of yesterday's surgery. The surgery went well but the recovery is a challenge so far. It seems that the patient has issues with anesthesia that made her very nauseous. She spent 5 hours in recovery vomiting on an empty stomach. Not fun at all.

Today she's not nauseous anymore but has some pain. She rates it a 4 out of 10. Some of this is because she can't use the really strong pain relievers like Percocet (sp?). These make her sick as well so she's on codeine and Tylanol (sp?).

She's tough for a queen though and I'm convinced that her biggest problems long term will be: me and learning how to do everything with her left hand.

Thanks for your concern and advice. It's comforting for both of us to know that so many have been through the same challenge and came out the other side OK.

On another note, I've started seriously weeding out the stick house this week. We hope to put it on the market tomorrow. The silver lining to the operation is the freedom I have to go through years and years of stuff, alone! I'm sure it's cut weeks off the process.

Now if I can just man up on getting rid of my tools.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sorry to hear about the nausea. Betsy had the nerve block whidh was a tiny catheter along the collar bone to a nerve bundle there. The arm remained pretty much pain free for four days because it included a pump and reservoir of a weaker solution of the nerve block. She could move her hand by that evening but if there was any break through pain she just had to hit the button on the pump and it gave her a 10cc bolus of the pain med. She didn't even need to take the oral meds until the 5th day and by that time most of the post-surgery pain was gone.
As far as the removal of "stuff" goes I found that it was very cathartic to unload as much as I did. I first went through the tools I would need for the rig and truck and kept those out. Then I kept some stuff I "might" need. Most of the "might" need stuff was unloaded after the first year on the road. Betsy and I decided on a small list of "seed" furniture and antiques or family heirlooms that would eventually go into storage in case we decide to settle eventually. Other than that it was easy to dump all the other useless stuff we didn't put in the rig and a lot of that also went last time we got home. If it remains underfoot after a year it leaves.. Tell Betty that we hope she feels better soon... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Today is the first day of the rest of her life.

Every day will feel a little better. The therapy is going to hurt, but it all for the good. Follow instructions. I was able to type on the desktop keyboard withing 1 week, maybe even less, but it was with the use of the arm sling pillow.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Betty, I have been off the MOC for a bit. Just saw this post. I also have issues with nausea and general anesthesia. I make sure I tell them several times before each surgery. I and the Dr both forgot once and I got sick as I pulled into my driveway after a outpatient Ortho knee surgery with general anesthesia. There is a shot they can give you for this if they miss it during the surgery.

I have had a few shoulder surgeries. A very comfortable recliner is the best bed for a while. It locks your body and arm into place and keeps it from flopping around at night which will make for a very painful morning. I have probably logged well over a year sleeping in recliners after shoulder surgeries (3 months just on the very first surgery).

6/2004: Rotator cuff surgery - right shoulder - Failed
10/2004: Rotator cuff surgery - right shoulder - Failed
5/2005: Rotator cuff surgery by top ten shoulder surgeon (US) - right shoulder - Failed and deemed permanent disability.
10/2005: Rotator cuff surgery - left shoulder - partial success
8/2008: Full shoulder replacement - left shoulder.
1/2009: Tripped running up stairs (Don't do this) and dislodged the metal cup in shoulder.
5/2009: Surgical procedure to remove cup and reshape bone to hold the metal ball.
5/2009: One week later developed an infection in the shoulder and was readmitted to the hospital and went through TWO more operations within 48 hours of each other to "wash" the shoulder out.

Good news: the left shoulder is progressing well and I am very happy with the increasing range and decreasing pain that happening from month to month.

Betty, I learned a hard lesson. I always like to take stairs two at a time, especially when I am in a hurry. I have to refrain from this and make sure I always use all handrails.

I would have saved me 3 out of my 8 shoulder surgeries.

Good luck with your recovery.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #25
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Well here I am, back from surgical hell! I must thank my DH for updating and thanking you all. Well as bad as day 1 was, there apparently was more fun in store for me....on 2nd day after surgery I developed hives and itching over the entire upper torso from waist to chin, front and back....seems I also now have an allergy to codeine!
So off the pain meds.....all I can take is Motrin. The fun never ends, eh? I can report I have been sleeping in my bed pretty well, bolstered the bad shoulder with pillows and it works pretty well. Go to doctor on Friday hope to get the report on what he found....I do remember seeing him in recovery room but I was not coherent only remember him saying it was a big tear and we'll talk about it.

Anyway, our S&B is officially on the market, with an open house on Sunday so we'll see what happens.

Would be nice to finish therapy and close on the house at the same time! Thanks again for everything!

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Betty,
Every day, the shoulder will get a little better.

Stick with the therapy and everything they tell you to do.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Betty, Wayne is right. It is a process. You will see improvement, but not overnight. I used Oxycodone for pain - it works. I believe it is not codeine based, but you would have to check with your Doc. Also you have to be careful with that stuff.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote