Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Great Stuff Alternative?

I am wondering if anyone has found a better alternative for sealing the camper against mice than the Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant. Great Stuff really is great, but it is messy, hard to control, permanently stains clothing, and worst of all seems to be a single use item for about $7 per can. The application straw now has a little tab to bend the straw back and park it, but this will not provide a good way to store the can between uses. It just dries out and becomes useless.

BTW, Great Stuff Pro Dispensing Gun Cleaner works well for cleanup if you use it right away, especially for tools and if you get some on yourself accidentally. It seems to be mostly acetone, and it doesn't work at all after the Great Stuff is dry. I've used the cleaner successfully to flush the application straw but the aerosol can itself must be cleaned thoroughly at it's opening and I've had mixed success at this. I think I've successfully re-used a can for a second time only once in about 3 tries.

I'm not asking for suggestions like steel wool and dryer sheets. Please only respond if you've found something better than Great Stuff for physically permanently mouse-proofing and sealing your camper.

I did some work under the kitchen sink and right now it appears that it is going to cost me $7 for a single-use can Great Stuff to finish the job.

6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Thanks for the additional knowledge - wasn't aware there was such a product for cleaning
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great Stuff can be used over IF you clean the nozzle. I blow it out with an air hose then clean it with lacquer thinner. Even then it’s a little iffy.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I am wondering if anyone has found a better alternative for sealing the camper against mice than the Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant. Great Stuff really is great, but it is messy, hard to control, permanently stains clothing, and worst of all seems to be a single use item for about $7 per can. The application straw now has a little tab to bend the straw back and park it, but this will not provide a good way to store the can between uses. It just dries out and becomes useless.

BTW, Great Stuff Pro Dispensing Gun Cleaner works well for cleanup if you use it right away, especially for tools and if you get some on yourself accidentally. It seems to be mostly acetone, and it doesn't work at all after the Great Stuff is dry. I've used the cleaner successfully to flush the application straw but the aerosol can itself must be cleaned thoroughly at it's opening and I've had mixed success at this. I think I've successfully re-used a can for a second time only once in about 3 tries.

I'm not asking for suggestions like steel wool and dryer sheets. Please only respond if you've found something better than Great Stuff for physically permanently mouse-proofing and sealing your camper.

I did some work under the kitchen sink and right now it appears that it is going to cost me $7 for a single-use can Great Stuff to finish the job.
I have never tried to clean one but I do buy extra ones, 5 for five bucks. I leave the cured one on and put a new one on when needed, always works & you get to use the whole can. You can find them on ebay & amazon.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I also order extra nozzles. It is some aggravating stuff, but good stuff. I haven’t ever heard of an alternative, but would be interesting.
And remember, Great Stuff comes in the color of Black, if you didn’t know. It looks just like factory.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I use pond foam. They use it in between the rocks to hold them in place. It is 100% water proof and is close cell formula and is black in color and stronger then great stuff. You can get at some of the H\D not all of them carry it. Or can go to a pond supply store.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
A friend of mine used https://mouse-free.com/

left an oily film underneath. Bu it kept the mice out
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Gorilla tape on a cleaned surface. I applied it on the underside of the trailer where ever there was an opening. Still holding after 8 years of travel. Also under the kitchen sink.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Blackshadow
Established Member

M.O.C. #14521
Send a message via AIM to Blackshadow Send a message via MSN to Blackshadow Send a message via Yahoo to Blackshadow
RVing for over 13 yrs and our camper is stored on our farm, in the farm tool shed while not in use. We use pure mint flavoring saturated on cotton balls inside and in hatches and even on the farm and have not had mouse 1! Its cheap, easy to do, leaves no mess, and has a clean smell.
We tell people all the time and they never believe us.....until they get burned with all those other "solutions" and try it, makes a believer every time!
Blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
I found the mice were getting in through my vent on my steps. I pulled them off and stapled some metal door screen behind them and screw them back on.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
I found the mice were getting in through my vent on my steps. I pulled them off and stapled some metal door screen behind them and screw them back on.

We had bees come in through there one year and did the same with screening.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Texxann533@gmail.com

M.O.C. #23960
I've been putting Bounce fabric sheets in any open holes I can reach from the inside of out 5th wheel. I also lay some around the furniture and in my cabinet drawers and closets. Been doing this for about 5 years and had no more mice problem. Bonus is it makes your rig smell great
Texxann533@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've been using Fresh Cab for the past 10 years now and have only had one critter enter the unit and that was because he/she was running for it's life from a combine that was harvesting a field. A snaptrap took care of it that night! Anyway, Fresh Cab is used by a lot of the construction companies who have trucks and equipment sitting over the winter and also by a lot of farmers in their equipment that sits unused during the seasons. It is an herbal based product and is none harmful to humans or pets. The critters do not like the smell of it and head for better places. You can buy it on line on Amazon, any of the big name hardware stores, or any farm supply store such as TSC or others. Great stuff and I keep several boxes of it both in the camper and also in the storage shed I keep the Monte in when not in use. Give it a try!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote