Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Do I worry too much?

First off - yes, I still have the Marathons. The trailer is only two years old and the tires only have about 3,000 miles on them and all are dated 2011. Should I keep them? Still not sure with all of the bad press about them and others that have had issues. I had them on my last 5er too and never had an issue. I had about 15,000 on that set when I changed them out due more to the amount of time they had been on the trailer (almost 5 years) than anything else. I check my tires and lug nuts before each trip, normally each stop at a rest area or the like and I have a TST TPMS (507). I know the 507 will not necessarily save me from a blow out damaging the trailer, but it is another level of "comfort" to monitor my tires.

Here is the question- I know "the book" says to check them "cold" and maintain 80 PSI (one tech document says 85 PSI but I have not done that yet). My question is-what does "cold" mean? The mornings around here (near Seattle) this time of year are sometimes a bit chilly. I am normally checking pressures when it is between 45 and 55 outside and after the trailer has been sitting for at least a few days. The pressure at that point on all 4 "on the road" tires is normally 76-78 PSI by both the TST and a tire gage. Once they get warmed up during the continued cooler days on the road to around 75 degrees, the pressure on all 4 comes up to 87-88 PSI and stays constant. So, should I bring them all up to 80 PSI when the temperature is less that 50 outside? I know, I know, don't over think it. What's 2 or 3 PSI between friends? I guess I am a bit anal retentive with the tires because I really like to see all 4 reading the exact same pressure when I am going down the road. Any thoughts?

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
Krease
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13328
I had 3 marathons fail, 2 catastrophically, within the 2-3yr time frame after the stamped date. All were properly inflated, two went without notice, one was noticeable that the tread was separating. Luckily both times barely did any damage. Get some LRG tires and don't worry about it anymore. This most recent trip was the most enjoyable driving trip I've had in a year (since the tires started failing). Quit worrying and upgrade! I know I'm glad I did.

Thank you for your service. My father is also a retired submariner.
Krease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Should you keep them? You know what could happen if you do. It's your decision.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

First off - yes, I still have the Marathons. The trailer is only two years old and the tires only have about 3,000 miles on them and all are dated 2011. Should I keep them? Still not sure with all of the bad press about them and others that have had issues. I had them on my last 5er too and never had an issue. I had about 15,000 on that set when I changed them out due more to the amount of time they had been on the trailer (almost 5 years) than anything else. I check my tires and lug nuts before each trip, normally each stop at a rest area or the like and I have a TST TPMS (507). I know the 507 will not necessarily save me from a blow out damaging the trailer, but it is another level of "comfort" to monitor my tires.

Here is the question- I know "the book" says to check them "cold" and maintain 80 PSI (one tech document says 85 PSI but I have not done that yet).

My question is-what does "cold" mean?
ANSWER-"Cold" does not reference to the outside temp. "Cold" in tire terms means the vehicle has not been driven in 4-5 hours. If driven around, you would have to wait 4-5 hours for the tires to cool down to get an accurate reading.

The mornings around here (near Seattle) this time of year are sometimes a bit chilly. I am normally checking pressures when it is between 45 and 55 outside and after the trailer has been sitting for at least a few days. The pressure at that point on all 4 "on the road" tires is normally 76-78 PSI by both the TST and a tire gage. Once they get warmed up during the continued cooler days on the road to around 75 degrees, the pressure on all 4 comes up to 87-88 PSI and stays constant.

So, should I bring them all up to 80 PSI when the temperature is less that 50 outside?
ANWSER- Yes. As outside temps drop, so do your tires. That's way it's so important to check your tires not only for the RV, but your car and truck and fill them to the recommended pressure set by your manufacture.

I know, I know, don't over think it. What's 2 or 3 PSI between friends?

I guess I am a bit anal retentive with the tires because I really like to see all 4 reading the exact same pressure when I am going down the road.
ANWSER-No more than any of us on this forum, which includes me as well. LOL

Any thoughts?
ANSWER-There seems to be more failure stories on here then successful ones. I replaced my brand new Marathons with the G-614 tires. I was not willing to risk a blowout during our trips and/or the damage to the RV, thus ruining our trip.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Well, I'll give you my opinion, (Being as I dumped my Marathons when they were brand new.)
Let's just say that because you are posting this question at all, means you are worrying about it. Quite a bit? Maybe even fretting about it? So, given that stress relief is worth something in and of itself, what is the obvious cure for this particular stress?
Yup...That's right.
Quit fretting, and just be done with it.

We as humans have the wonderful ability to learn from others and prevent trouble by acting before it happens instead of reacting afterward. If one is worried about something that might cause us harm, we can act to mitigate that harm.

Let me ask you this: What will you be saying to yourself when a marathon blows on a busy interstate somewhere and does a lot of expensive damage to your rig and perhaps puts you in danger?

I know what I decided to do when my Montana was weeks old...
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
As others have said, if it's bothering you, it will only stop bothering you when you change the situation. That's how I looked at it when I changed to the G614's. Like Mark, I dumped the Marathons before we took our first trip. I had a very fortunate turn of events in that a friend desperately needed tires for a lighter fiver. It made my decision easy. If it is affordable, just do it and take the worry away and quit looking in your mirror.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I had Marathons on my 3402rl too Glen and never had a problem with them having said that they are not the right tool for the job for the heavier rigs like ours IMO they are not Bad tires ,but right before I took my Rig on this long trip I am on I went to Les Swhwab tire and Bought a set of Geostar G574 LT tires with a full Warranty for piece of mind they gave me 70.00 a piece for the Marathons so out the door a price of 900 bucks been on the road for 2K miles now and have been in 100 degree temps in AZ and they have performed Great and I feel ALOT better
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Marathons do not have a good track record. They have proved to fail sooner than other tires. If your tires have 2011 dates count your blessings and swap them out for something known to be more reliable. Ask the folks that have suffered costly damage and disrupted plans because of Marathons if they wished they had switched tires. There are more reliable tires available and in the long run it will be money well spent. My preference is LT tires which I have run for many years with no failures. The choice is up to you.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As the others have said. I dumped them so I could enjoy driving again, not looking in each mirror every couple of seconds.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks all, great input. Another problem...

If I am not looking in my mirrors checking my tires now and then, what else is there to look at?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Krease
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13328
Quote:

If I am not looking in my mirrors checking my tires now and then, what else is there to look at?
Check facebook on your phone? Read a book? Paint your nails?... That's what everyone else does on the road!
Krease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Krease

Quote:

Check facebook on your phone? Read a book? Paint your nails?... That's what everyone else does on the road!
You're right! I can get a lot more done!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ditto... 86 those POS!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Should you keep them? You know what could happen if you do. It's your decision.
Lynwood
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You'd be surprised the interesting things to see if you don't have to spend your time looking behind you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you use your Montana as a camper and just go to the lake and back then the Marathons may work out. If you travel long distance then by all means dump them. I dread to think what would have happened by now on this trip if I had had Marathons instead of my LT tires.... Rough roads at 70 mph in this heat would have eaten those Marathons alive by now.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Sorry if I missed this, but do you have a TPMS system? I ran with Marathons for a couple of years but did install the TST TPMS system. Eventually 2 of the Marathons failed on one trip and now I run G614s... The TPMS ensured we had no damage to our rig when the tires failed and we safely stopped at the side of the road.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Yes, I do have a TST TPMS (507). I am just not confident it would prevent trailer damage with a sudden blowout at 60 MPH. It would simply tell me it had happened and then I would have to get slowed down and off the road.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
That's exactly what happened to me to the tune of $1500.00 in trailer damage. The tire literally exploded. No warning at all. The tread completely separated from the tire and wrapped itself around the axle.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah Glen like steelpony 5555 said in my opinion if you are just going on short trips like I was for awile in Wa state where it is does not get very hot and the roads are not too bad they should be fine, mine were great for 2 years with no problems but once I Hit the road in Hot weather and Some crappy roads I HAD to make the change to G's
Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #20
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Fingers crossed (and close watch of pressures and tire condition) I am going to try to make it through this camping season here in the state. The farthest we ever go is over to the border of Idaho from here (about 400 miles one way). The tires are doing great so far. Thanks for all the input folks!