Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
5th Wheel Hitch

Last month on this forum there was much discussion about what was the best 5th wheel hitch. The hitch that wasn't mentioned is the PullRite Superlite rated at 20K. Check out their website at www.pullrite.com. It weighs 52 lbs so its easily removed along with its associated mounting rails. I'm curious if any readers have this Superlite hitch and how do they like it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have the old Pullrite, but whould buy that one if I needed a new one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have the pullrite slider. Have never removed it but looks heavier than 52 lbs. wish I had that one when I hauled my christmas tree today.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The Pullrite Superlite is warranted for 5 yrs. or 31,000 miles, I wonder how they check the miles.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
That superlite is for some sort of a ball hitch on the trailer, not the usual setup.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
And in many States, because it is a Ball Coupler you are required to use Safety Chains. Plus it bothers me pulling something that weighs 19K Lbs with something avertised as light weight.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

And in many States, because it is a Ball Coupler you are required to use Safety Chains. Plus it bothers me pulling something that weighs 19K Lbs with something avertised as light weight.
Agreed.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:21 AM   #8
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have seen videos of the damage to the pin box caused by this hitch. The damage is caused by the small support area of the ball where it attaches to the pin box. My thinking is the pin box is designed to sit on a much larger area like the standard 5th wheel hitch. Now I know there are lots of gooseneck horse and farm rigs out there but the ball on those are on the truck not on the pin box. Just saying is all.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
I recently had to upgrade my hitch from a 16k to a 20k due to the fact that the 16k was right at the GTVW. I had a Curt Q16 and was going to up grade it to a Q20 or 24, even though I am not fond of Chinese products. When I visited my dealer, he showed me the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch (#3200) for rails and I was impressed. Looked at the video showing their crush tests, etc, plus it being only 43 pounds compared to the 150+ lbs of the Curts. He also had the GN Andersen hitch, but I dont have a GN on my truck. I questioned him about the safety chains and per salesman, werent required because this 3200 isnt a GN hitch.... okay..... Went ahead and got the hitch, dropped right into my rails perfect. Hooked up to the 3440RL on Saturday for a spin around the countryside and it pulled great; no clanking or any noise we had with the standard 5th wheel hitches we've had for over the years. Got to wondering about the Safety Chains again today, as just didnt sound right being a ball coupler hitch, chains are required on TT units. So this afternoon I took a drive out to the division office of the Highway Patrol (CHP) and met with the DOT officer. He took down the info I had made up, including pictures and came back and told me they are required by state law, just like GN hitches are. So, got materials to make up the chains but in trying to figure out how to mount an attachment onto the rails was abit of thinking and engineering. Now, not saying I have the correct answer to my engineering feats, I did come up with something and as soon as I can get to my sons shop and use a grinder to open up a hole or two, will be the telling tale of my feats. BTW I did purchase the Andersen Safety Chain kit (#3230), and another 2 ea 7/16" clevis's. for my modification. Once I get it all done, will take picture and post it here....I must admit the chains will be a PITA. I have read many posts, on other forums, about this hitch, and for users, they love it; for folks who dont have one or even seen one, they hate it. All reviews I have read on it, they have all be positive. They have been around for over 5 years with no failures, per manufacturer. I guess time will tell.... BTW, I kept my Curt Q16 just incase something does happen.
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
John Neeley - check on RV.net open roads forum. There was someone posted there with pictures of damage to his pin box using the Andersen hitch. This was apparently due to how the adapter connected to the king pin with little support surface to the pin box itself. He reported how Andersen had guided him thru adding some additional pins or screws or something (forgot the details) to reduce the likelyhood of pin box damage. He did have to buy a new pin box.

But at the same time, someone else claimed that hitch cause some deformation of his truck bed. You can search there for Andersen and find those postings and the details.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:45 AM   #11
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Pulling a 16,000 pound 5er with a 46 pound hitch?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #12
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John Neeley

I recently had to upgrade my hitch from a 16k to a 20k due to the fact that the 16k was right at the GTVW. I had a Curt Q16 and was going to up grade it to a Q20 or 24, even though I am not fond of Chinese products. When I visited my dealer, he showed me the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch (#3200) for rails and I was impressed. Looked at the video showing their crush tests, etc, plus it being only 43 pounds compared to the 150+ lbs of the Curts. He also had the GN Andersen hitch, but I dont have a GN on my truck. I questioned him about the safety chains and per salesman, werent required because this 3200 isnt a GN hitch.... okay..... Went ahead and got the hitch, dropped right into my rails perfect. Hooked up to the 3440RL on Saturday for a spin around the countryside and it pulled great; no clanking or any noise we had with the standard 5th wheel hitches we've had for over the years. Got to wondering about the Safety Chains again today, as just didnt sound right being a ball coupler hitch, chains are required on TT units. So this afternoon I took a drive out to the division office of the Highway Patrol (CHP) and met with the DOT officer. He took down the info I had made up, including pictures and came back and told me they are required by state law, just like GN hitches are. So, got materials to make up the chains but in trying to figure out how to mount an attachment onto the rails was abit of thinking and engineering. Now, not saying I have the correct answer to my engineering feats, I did come up with something and as soon as I can get to my sons shop and use a grinder to open up a hole or two, will be the telling tale of my feats. BTW I did purchase the Andersen Safety Chain kit (#3230), and another 2 ea 7/16" clevis's. for my modification. Once I get it all done, will take picture and post it here....I must admit the chains will be a PITA. I have read many posts, on other forums, about this hitch, and for users, they love it; for folks who dont have one or even seen one, they hate it. All reviews I have read on it, they have all be positive. They have been around for over 5 years with no failures, per manufacturer. I guess time will tell.... BTW, I kept my Curt Q16 just incase something does happen.
I didnt have to do too much engineering for a safety chain attachment onto the hitch rail, as Curt makes one especially for just that. Model number is 160000, although the attachment point on the pinbox is the weakest link in that whole system...strange...

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote