Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The tanks are of a 2 piece design with the top glued on to the bottom half.
There have been numerous reports of failed/leaking tanks.
It is my belief that over filling these tanks causes them to split open at the glued seams.
NEVER let them get that full before dumping.
NEVER travel with more than a few gallons of waste in them. The sloshing around could also rupture them.
A better option for you could be to connect to a portable blue tank and leave the gray tank valves open and dump it when its full. You will have to check it often so you don't over fill it.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Thanks GBINTN, for the question. I learned something too. We had both black and grey tank valve cables go bad and seeing the way things are under, or above, the bottom plastic helped me understand the issue better.
Good luck
Welcome to the club. As you already figured out, these guys are the experts.
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #23
BGINTN

M.O.C. #24450
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The tanks are of a 2 piece design with the top glued on to the bottom half.
There have been numerous reports of failed/leaking tanks.
It is my belief that over filling these tanks causes them to split open at the glued seams.
NEVER let them get that full before dumping.
NEVER travel with more than a few gallons of waste in them. The sloshing around could also rupture them.
A better option for you could be to connect to a portable blue tank and leave the gray tank valves open and dump it when its full. You will have to check it often so you don't over fill it.
Thanks for the reply. Here is what I learned after further investigation:

The tanks are manufactured by Ameri-Kart using ABS vacuum formed bottom with a top lid, so a 2 piece design. They did not state how the 2 pieces are glued together, so they could have easily split at this seam.

On my 2012 324RLQ, the galley tank is model HT-541 with a 40 gallon capacity. The black and gray tanks are identical from what I could see, and are model HT-543 with a 48 gallon capacity.

So doing the simple math 40+48=88 gallons of gray capacity NOT 93 as stated in their literature and 48 gallons of black, not 50.

BGINTN

Here are the shop drawings for each.

Galley holding tank-HT541.pdf

Black & Gray Tanks-HT543.pdf
BGINTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #24
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Thought I would share a few pictures of the tank construction... if it is anything like my '04 3295RK. All 3 of my tanks are the same size... all 3 leaked when I bought it. Front gray tank was the worst.

I blame it on traveling with full tanks, though the issue was there when I bought it (used).

I replaced the front gray tank and the black tank... and repaired the rear galley tank as it was not as bad of damage.

In one of the pics you can see how the tanks are held up by that edge where the tank top meets the tank edge. It is held on both sides of the tank this way... not on the ends.

In the other you can see the damage that I blame on going down the road with full tanks. Age could have something to do with it as well. I did not want to go through all the work removing them to fight leaks going forward, so I just bought new tanks.

Hope this helps some visualize what the leak issue MIGHT be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2tanks.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	4211   Click image for larger version

Name:	grayedge.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	4212  
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags