Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
I guess we have been fairly lucky with our 2019 Montana 3121RL 20 year Anniversary Edition so far. We have put ~9,000 miles on it so far with no major issues, but a few relatively minor ones. My biggest complaint is the extremely bad location of the galley gray tank valve and how hard it is to operate. Some minor trim piece repairs to a almost hidden trim piece in the front closet and several of the crappy roll down shades have problems, but all in all so far it is holding up pretty well. Oh and our bathroom Max-Air fan quick working correctly on our current trip.

B&W Companion Slider Hitch
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
It seems that Keystone doesn't have a set nailing pattern for putting these up. OUr 2018 HC 385 BR had a similar problem only it was due to Camping World failing to re-nail as the factory did when they put in our drip pans. I asked Keystone for a nailing pattern for Camping World to follow in the repair of their repair and was told they didn't have one. Examine your facia, see if there were any nails in the upper corners, there should be a total of six or more, four along the top edge of the center crown molding and two along the bottom.

We are having no roofs put in due to Camping Worlds botch of the repairs caused by the oil leaks. I am having a new shop to do the work, we have discussed pre-drilling pilot holes from the back at the corners and using small wood screws to go into through the backer, the thin molding sheet and the crown center molding. This combined with proper nailing will hopefully do the trick.

This is clearly a warranty issue, and don't let the "oh this is an Rv" stop you from demanding proper repairs. We all paid to much money to have things like this simply falling off going down the road.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #23
Hooch on Wheels
Established Member

M.O.C. #23495
Thanks for the reply. I agree all the things happening to our rvs are warranty issues and should be taken care of in an efficient and timely manner. Considering the state of the industry as a whole I have decided if I can make simple repairs I will do it myself. Besides that, if the facia and closet shelf were put back to original condition I'm afraid I would still have the same problem.
In addition, how long would we be without the use of the rv? My plan is to run the wheels off our Hooch and enjoy every minute of it. We will deal with issues as they arrive. My wife and I knew what we were getting into when we wrote the check. This is our first 5er and we are enjoying dragging it around the country.
Every time we hit a bump we laugh and try to guess what just fell on the floor.
My motto has always been; out of every adversity comes the seed of equal or greater benefit. The benefit of owning an rv......I'm learning to build rvs. YES!
Hooch on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
terryashley1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23887
Same problems!!!!! 2018 3700LK

Amen brother!!! I feel your pain!!!!
terryashley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #25
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutking View Post
Same with our 2019 3120 RL as we have owned it for six months and used it twice because the rest of the time it was with the dealer for repair after repair. We too will not take ours back to the dealer for anything else and are completely fed up with and disappointed with Keystone for lack of basic quality control. We upgraded our 2010 Montana fifth wheel to this 2019 model and are sorry we did as our 2010 only had one issue that needed repair all the years we used it.
Let me guess you have G rated 14 ply tires on your unit
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #26
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutking View Post
Same with our 2019 3120 RL as we have owned it for six months and used it twice because the rest of the time it was with the dealer for repair after repair. We too will not take ours back to the dealer for anything else and are completely fed up with and disappointed with Keystone for lack of basic quality control. We upgraded our 2010 Montana fifth wheel to this 2019 model and are sorry we did as our 2010 only had one issue that needed repair all the years we used it.
Let me guess you have G rated 14 ply tires on your unit sorry wrong post lol
Old 07-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch on Wheels View Post
Traveling from Missouri to South Dakota we had to take detours because of flooding. Some of the detours were rather rough. You guessed it. We opened the door on our 2018 305RL and saw the same thing you did. Facia from the living room slide all over the place. Long story short, hardware store, brown screws. Better than new. Bought extra screws for the other two slides.

Home from another trip my wife says "hey, look at this". The shelf and clothes rack in the master bedroom had pulled away from the wall. Our new Hooch was falling apart. Long story short, hardware store, brown screws, 5 1/2 foot dowel rods spaced 2 1/2 feet apart, screwed from the top of the shelf and screwed to the floor. Better than new.

Now when we hit a bump we guess as to what just hit the floor. Lol
Carry lots of tools.

Jim&Celia
Hooch on Wheels
Let me guess you have G rated 14 ply tires on your unit
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch on Wheels View Post
Thanks for the reply. I agree all the things happening to our rvs are warranty issues and should be taken care of in an efficient and timely manner. Considering the state of the industry as a whole I have decided if I can make simple repairs I will do it myself. Besides that, if the facia and closet shelf were put back to original condition I'm afraid I would still have the same problem.
In addition, how long would we be without the use of the rv? My plan is to run the wheels off our Hooch and enjoy every minute of it. We will deal with issues as they arrive. My wife and I knew what we were getting into when we wrote the check. This is our first 5er and we are enjoying dragging it around the country.
Every time we hit a bump we laugh and try to guess what just fell on the floor.
My motto has always been; out of every adversity comes the seed of equal or greater benefit. The benefit of owning an rv......I'm learning to build rvs. YES!

Smart man!
You get repairs done and don’t loose your camper for God only knows how long and done right.
Hats off to you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Someone posted these go down roads as for reasons to fall apart. My previous cars all went down the road. Bumpers did not fall off. Dash did not come apart. No, very uneventful. We put wood screws in our facia.. let's face it.shoddy workmanship, no qc and they could not care less.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #30
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
They don't even use wood screws, they use self drilling metal screws in thin plywood, doesn't work.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #31
Trailer Trash
Established Member

M.O.C. #22287
Certainly the finished product doesn’t match up with the advertising and brand positioning rhetoric. We replaced the tires on our 2018 310RE after less than 8,000 km or 5,600 miles because they were literally shredding on the highway. $1,200 CDN later I’m having a similar problem with my new higher rated tires after about half the distance. Wheel alignment seems like an issue. On this trip the right rear hydraulic jack decided to drop out of the main shaft and is now strapped into place until we get home. The fridge door won’t close without a hip check. The trim makes no sense to air staple through the faux wood mactac finish and then proceed to pull through over the staples. The Keystone owners manual for our High Country reads like a “we bought this from here and that from there so go see all those people if you need help”. Again very different from the advertising. Having said all that our 5th wheel seems to be as good or better than most brands. Seems like an industry wide issue - quality or lack thereof.
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #32
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I hope I live to see the day when the S. Koreans or the Japanese start making these things and shipping them over here to force Keystone to improve engineering and quality control. Too bad a lot of those “Amish craftsmen” will be unemployed. Until then, nothing short of a class action lawsuit will change things. We all complain, but we keep buying their crap. And every year it keeps getting worse.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #33
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
Certainly the finished product doesn’t match up with the advertising and brand positioning rhetoric. We replaced the tires on our 2018 310RE after less than 8,000 km or 5,600 miles because they were literally shredding on the highway. $1,200 CDN later I’m having a similar problem with my new higher rated tires after about half the distance. Wheel alignment seems like an issue. On this trip the right rear hydraulic jack decided to drop out of the main shaft and is now strapped into place until we get home. The fridge door won’t close without a hip check. The trim makes no sense to air staple through the faux wood mactac finish and then proceed to pull through over the staples. The Keystone owners manual for our High Country reads like a “we bought this from here and that from there so go see all those people if you need help”. Again very different from the advertising. Having said all that our 5th wheel seems to be as good or better than most brands. Seems like an industry wide issue - quality or lack thereof.
We had the same issue on our 310RE. Get the axles aligned.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #34
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I hope I live to see the day when the S. Koreans or the Japanese start making these things and shipping them over here to force Keystone to improve engineering and quality control. Too bad a lot of those “Amish craftsmen” will be unemployed. Until then, nothing short of a class action lawsuit will change things. We all complain, but we keep buying their crap. And every year it keeps getting worse.
Agree, there should be no mention of 'craftsmen' when building these things. As long as employees are on piecework to push them out as fast as possible nothing will change.
Koreans or Japanese ~~ too much cost to start up here with any numbers. Few units make them as unaffordable as spending thousands per unit to ship.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #35
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Wow, that don't look good and I wouldn't be please with this I hope that you can get this resolve from the dealer.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #36
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
I too purchased a 2018 305 RE HC and have logged 28 significant defects that all needed repair so far. Some of the more major issues were fixed by my dealer, but I ended up repairing many of the items myself due the 100+ mile distance to my dealer. My previous 5'er was a Heartland 5'er and I only had one significant issue in 8 years of ownership. I thought I was upgrading when going to a "Montana"; however, thus far, the quality of the HC Montana has been a big disappointment! It's not a matter of if we'll find more issues, it's just a matter of how many new issues/ surprises we encounter every time we use the trailer. To be fair to my dealer, they have fought Keystone for us and even got things approved for repair out of warranty (leaking gear slide gear boxes). If it wasn't for my dealer, I would have traded it in (taken a big loss) and purchased a Grand Design product. It's very sad how most of the RV industry has not implemented, nor understands the "cost of quality" and how quality is actually an investment for the future growth, profitability and sustainability of the company.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 AM   #37
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
RVing is a lot more fun if you are handy enough to do your own repairs!
1retired06 this is such a true statement... I cannot imagine owning one of these and not being handy, because it does seem to ALWAYS be someting new to repair or tweak!
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #38
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
[QUOTE=bwetli;1149656]I suppose this is more of a rant than anything else, seems like every trip out there is a new discovery of yet another poorly constructed component, bad design, unacceptable construction method, etc. This weekend we went to a county park that is about 100 miles away. Paved highway all the way. Got backed into our site, opened the door, and to my dismay the entire header or facia on the living room slide had separated from the slide out frame, and fallen down onto the kitchen island etc. The header had been attached with a pneumatic nailer with finish nails (I call them pins - they don't really have a head on them at all). We've had this 2018 305RL for about 15 months now. Has been a constant source of disappointment. Waste tank valves that leak. Took to dealer for warranty work - replaced one valve seal, only to now have the other leak - probably started when dealer replaced the black tank seal. High degree of flex in the slide out floor - dealer told me that was normal and nothing was wrong. Coroplast liner on the bottom of the trailer did not go all the way back to the rear cap - it had been cut too short. Wires hanging loose from bottom of rear cap. I had to seal with gorilla tape. Now this. I have included pictures I hope - haven't posted before. Like a lot of you, I will fix this myself properly. I will not trust the dealer with repairs going forward. But this was a huge downer for the weekend to think what we pay for these rv's only to find that they are slapped together with little if any quality control.[/QUOTE

The last HC I had did the same thing it had 53 1"(i counted) gun nails in the trim holding it up but still came down. bought some pin head screws and screwed it and all the other ones to the back board ,fixed the scared trim with some matching stain and move on to the other things that needed attention. JUst part of the game. won`t change until we stop buying the campers.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
This is why I ignore my DW when she says we need a new one (our Big Sky was built in Oct 2004 - now we're one of the older RVs wherever we camp).
I added Joyrider Shocks 3 years ago. Great ride improvement!
Only interior construction issue I've had is the Track for the Bedroom Entry Sliding Doors came down once. Construction adhesive and twice as many screws have held it up since.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #40
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
I feel your pain

Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote