Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Angry IN-Command Unhappiness

On a weeks trip and get to our campgrounds to settle the Montana in. Full hookup and the 2016 version of In-Command won't Bluetooth SYNC to the control panel at 2 pm. About 90 minutes later I have a sync and get the 2 electric slides out for kitchen and a bedroom wardrobe, before losing the Sync again. At this point I now have a front door to kitchen and a back door to bathroom/bedroom. Going on 5PM, Off to a fast food place to take a break. We are staying the night. The 3 remaining slides are hydraulic, cutting off the middle of the trailer and making the bedroom very small. The BCM module has a reset micro button like ping for a signal and panel is paired. I found relays for Hydraulics, but it could affect my landing jacks. I considered calling a campsite repairman, but I probably no more about my system than they would. At 8 PM and after some 20 reboots, to include powering down, it popped into Sync mode and I got the slides out, along with a hot water heater. I can only hope for it to act nicely on our departure date.

Now for technical stuff. It's 3 years old and out of warranty. Last year I was in contact with a rep at Keystone, with no tangible solution, because it was behaving at the time. After 2017, New versions are directly wired to alleviate the lost sync problems.

Basically two solutions, both involving tons of cost in having it removed or converting to a newer version. Having manual toggle switches would be nice, similar to the electric slides. Don't know anything about hydraulic systems to make the hydraulics work or to physically crank them from underneath, if possible. I plan on contacting ASE electronics or Jensen to see if there is a reasonable modification. Don't like being held hostage by electronic systems.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I have had the same problem. Mine is in Tacoma RV getting the brain replace right now. We have extended warranty and is covered under that but we had the problem from when it was new.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Contact the manufacturer of the In-Command system as they have a LIFETIME warranty on the units! The maker is ASA Electronics..
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Seems it would be relatively easy to put the hydraulics on a separate switch. Simply unhook the InCommand and wire up the new switch. I was actually relieved that my 2016 was just barely prior to the InCommand thing.

Mark
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm old school and glad I don't have the In-Command. I'm in command.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusters View Post
On a weeks trip and get to our campgrounds to settle the Montana in. Full hookup and the 2016 version of In-Command won't Bluetooth SYNC to the control panel at 2 pm. About 90 minutes later I have a sync and get the 2 electric slides out for kitchen and a bedroom wardrobe, before losing the Sync again. At this point I now have a front door to kitchen and a back door to bathroom/bedroom. Going on 5PM, Off to a fast food place to take a break. We are staying the night. The 3 remaining slides are hydraulic, cutting off the middle of the trailer and making the bedroom very small. The BCM module has a reset micro button like ping for a signal and panel is paired. I found relays for Hydraulics, but it could affect my landing jacks. I considered calling a campsite repairman, but I probably no more about my system than they would. At 8 PM and after some 20 reboots, to include powering down, it popped into Sync mode and I got the slides out, along with a hot water heater. I can only hope for it to act nicely on our departure date.

Now for technical stuff. It's 3 years old and out of warranty. Last year I was in contact with a rep at Keystone, with no tangible solution, because it was behaving at the time. After 2017, New versions are directly wired to alleviate the lost sync problems.

Basically two solutions, both involving tons of cost in having it removed or converting to a newer version. Having manual toggle switches would be nice, similar to the electric slides. Don't know anything about hydraulic systems to make the hydraulics work or to physically crank them from underneath, if possible. I plan on contacting ASE electronics or Jensen to see if there is a reasonable modification. Don't like being held hostage by electronic systems.
hello
i have a 2017 3660FL Alpine that was doing the same thing. For starters make sure you have a good and charged battery. Check your connections . What I ended doing was calling ASA Electronics and they have a new hard wired version now. I was able to have a good friend get it for me as he works at an RV dealership and ASA would only send it to an approved dealer for replacing.He received it for me and I replaced it myself. Took me approx. 45 minutes to replace . I transferred all the connections one by one to the new one. The only difficult issue and really not even that was that now i had to run the supplied wire to the Screen from the Body Control Module ( BCM ). i also installed a hardwired switch as a back up:socool. Since then my problems and embarrassing moments are no more. lol...

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote