Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Montana_2663

M.O.C. #2663
Purchasing a Montanna

Wondering if anyone has any "heads-up" alerts before we purchase a Montanna 3400? Are they as good as they seem to be? Would love any input.

Montana_2663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We don't have a 3400 but ours is similar....a 3380RL. And we love it! Probably would have gotten a 3400 if we had seen it first. Just got back from a six day trip to Florida and everything worked great. We were warm and cozy during the cool hours and nice and cool when the temps were in the 70s. We're very happy with our purchase. I'd recommend the 3400.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Linda, we looked at the 3400 after our 3280 was delivered. I thought it was really neat , 4 slides, tongue weight, gross weight, you know the things a guy looks at. My wife loved it too, then she started comparing little things like counter space, w/d bieng in front closet and decided we would just keep out 5er. They make so many different units that there is surely one floor plan that suites your needs. You have to make up your own mind on what you want. By the way, we are on our second Montana and would buy another when that time comes, good luck on your deciesion, and just enjoy whatever you buy! Pick out what you want now, they may quit making the one you want anytime, our 3280 was delivered in August of 2003 and they changed models right after that.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Linda to the MOC Family.

Our very first RV was a Montana and our next RV will be another Montana. We currently have the 2955RL and will in all likely hood keep it at least a couple more years. Barring any major changes in floor plans our next unit in all probability will be the 3400RL.

Are they as good as they seem to be?, Yes, they are every bit as good as they seem to be and those that have flaws Montana stands behind 100%.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Linda

Wondering if anyone has any "heads-up" alerts before we purchase a Montanna 3400? Are they as good as they seem to be? Would love any input.
I'll just provide my usual caveat for any trailer you are thinking of buying.

See it with the slides in first.

It can make big difference to how useful the trailer is while travelling. Sometimes you might want to make a short stop somewhere where you can't put the slide out. Will you be able to use the features you want with the slides in? I suspect the 3400 kitchen is somewhat restricted with the slides in, compared to, for example, the 3670RL. Like everything else to do with RVs it is going to be a compromise, but it is best to know what you are compromising on before the situation arises.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
We have the 3400 and love it, as to access to the essentials while travling you can access the refer, the bathroom and the bed. I've spent the night at a Flying J and never opened a slide, it worked out ok, you could even take a shower if you want.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We also have the 3400 and have only been able to use it twice since purchasing in April last year. You can adjust the hydraulics so you only open one slide..(like the dining room one)so you can use the table. With a little planning most things are available for a quick stop.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had picked up my 3400RL back in April and mainly use it as a lake cabin all summer at the lake with a few trips on vacation as well. I have had 6 peole stay the weekend in my coach and it worked out perfect. There is enough room to have a few guests sleep on the floor at night, and still have room to walk. With having four slides I felt there was more than enough room during the day with having all six of us in there for lunch and dinners. I did get to see the new 3500RL on Monday and thought it was a great floor plan but still like my 3400RL better. If I had to replace this coach for any reason, it would be almost a 99% for sure decision to buy another 3400RL. This is my second Montana and will be buying a third when something better comes along in the future.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Linda

Hi Linda~

We're fulltiming in a 2004 3400. I don't know that I have any alerts....but maybe a couple of things to consider. You've already been told about the slides as far as making stops while traveling. As stated, you will be able to get to the fridge, pantry, bed and bath areas -- without messing around with the slides. Take a look at the rig with the slides in and you'll easily see what we're talking about.

You may want to play pretend -- hanging out in whatever unit you think you want -- and act like you're really using it. Pretend your in the kitchen fixing a meal. There may or may not be enough kitchen storage that is easy for you to reach -- without a stool, that is. Since the kitchen is at the tall or high point in the rig, the cabinets are very high. This may, or may not, be a problem for you.

One thing I personally consider kind of dumb in the design of the kitchen is the carpeting in the slide area. I understand why it was placed there (I think)...but what a mess when my coffee maker decided to rebel.

Another little thing....with the kitchen sink being located where it is....make sure to get a throw rug for the carpeted area between the sink and the dining table. And that your faucets are over your sink...in case some little fingers reach up and turn your water on.

Maybe these couple of things aren't an issue for other 3400 owners....and maybe I'm just a slob. But these are things I need to pay attention to.

OH! We're having trouble with our awning. It won't close enough to set the travel locks. The dealer told us this problem is due to the fact that the arms are installed uneven, causing undue pressure on one arm over the other. I don't know if others have had this problem or not.

My main suggestion, regardless of which 5th wheel you buy, is do your homework. Try not to buy based on emotion. When you finally do decide and make your purchase, do a very thorough final inspection. Try everything, inspect everything -- including the furniture. Don't listen to sales pitch and ask lots of questions.

Are they as good as they seem to be? Depends on what they seem to be to you. Depends on your expectations.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Linda, I looked at the 3400 at the rally andit seem to be a very nice unit. Like anything that moves something will come loose. Look it over and decide for your self. All replies are something to concider.
Happy Camping.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Linda - we have an '05 3400 and it is our second Montana product. I guess we have been extremely fortunate, but have had no problems. We have already made three long trips in the 5er in both hot and cold ( 13 degree and lower) temperatures. I love the way it tows and the balance with the center mounted kitchen, panty, and entertainment center. The hitch weight is a little light than the others even though it has about the longest length. All the same issues have been addressed concerning access, but you do have the slide switch that allows you to open and close the slides independently if need be. We really love ours and so far, do not think we would swap it for anything. Good luck on your decision.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gail, by your awning arms being uneven do you mean they are different lengths and thus one side goes in more quickly than the other? Kind of crooked looking when enroute between retracted and extended? If so, our 3295RK is the same way and it has not caused that problem. We did have that problem, though, but it was because of a storm that put our awning on the roof. After that episode i started strapping the deflappers down way too tight and bent the arms over time. But prior to that the awning got a lot of use and it was never a problem. But I'm not sure I understand the problem you speak of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Linda -

We really like our 3400RL. We have an '05 that we purchased in August. The floorplan does fine for our family, but everyone has different needs. For one, we like the space. Labor Day we had ten people in our unit. When we travel, we don't spend a lot of time cooking in the kitchen. Since we are not retired, our travels are a vacation for both of us. We eat out and cook on the grill. If I had to buy a new unit today, I would either get our 3400 again or if retired might look at the Cambridge, which has the 3400 floor plan. Good luck and make the best decision for yourself.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #14
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Gail, by your awning arms being uneven do you mean they are different lengths and thus one side goes in more quickly than the other? Kind of crooked looking when enroute between retracted and extended? If so, our 3295RK is the same way and it has not caused that problem. We did have that problem, though, but it was because of a storm that put our awning on the roof. After that episode i started strapping the deflappers down way too tight and bent the arms over time. But prior to that the awning got a lot of use and it was never a problem. But I'm not sure I understand the problem you speak of.
Hi Steve~

I think we're on the same page. I'll go look at my neighbors 3295. Yes, the awning arms are different lengths. One is attached on the bedroom, the other next to the entry door -- so one is shorter than the other.**You're mentioning the deflappers.....may have been what happened here since we had no problems until after starting to use the deflappers and left the awning out with good strong winds.**Now, in order for us to get the arms position to close and latch for travel, I need to push or gently force the arm into position while rolling the awning up.**Looks like yet another mess-up that's my fault and not "theirs". This rigs are great teachers of taking responsibility
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We love ours although it's a bit Old now and not a 3400RL! I keep looking at new ones and the Mr. says No, No!

My sister has a 3400RL pretty loaded up and she loves it. Just today she posted that it's nicer than her stick home.

You get a lot of bang for your buck in a Montana. Since they made ours they have added more improvements than I can count. I know immediately after ours they added 28.

It's a great floor plan and really works well if you ever have over night guests. Your a bit limited if you have the slides in but you can get to the bedroom, water closet, washer and dryer if you have one, pantry and fridge. That seems adequate for short stop overs or over night in say a Walmart.

I know Dick thinks it is the best floor plan they have going.

Patty

I don't think you could go wrong with the 3400RL.

Do let us know what your choice ends up being and a wish of good fortune in your pursuit.

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gail, that's exactly the way ours acted. Since the new arms were installed I started just snugging the deflappers instead of cranking them down tight we've not had the problem any more. So I'm convinced tightening them so tight caused the problem. You can remove these arms from the awning and put them on a picnic table and maybe straighten them a bit?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We love the 3400rl floorplan. We sleep in ours with the slides in. Sometime we will only put out the slides on one side. If we only have room for the driver side slides out, we just stop before the passenger side slide starts out; or if we are parked next to a curb we will let out all the slides and then bring in the driver side slides. We added a freezer to the washer/dryer closet. I believe you will be very happy with the 3400.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #18
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
As I read all the comments about not being able to use the kitchen with the slides in I wonder just exactly how much food preparation one would want to do under those conditions. We have the 3295, like Samantha, and can get to our refrigerator and pantry with the slides in. So when we're going to be traveling, I just put whatever items/food that are not in the refrigerator or pantry somewhere where I can get to them when the slides are in.

With all due respect, it just seems to me that since your Montana will be used more with the slides out, if you can access the refrigerator, the toilet/water pump switch and the bed, why would you base your Montana purchase on how useable it is with the slides in?

From a female perspective, I would mentally load all the closets and cabinets in the Montana you're thinking about to see if your stuff will fit.

Whatever floor plan you decide on, I know you'll enjoy your new Montana!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would have to agree with Vicki on this one. I have the 3400RL and have found no problems with being able to access the fridge to get out lunch. The thing I found that works best for me is to make lunch before we leave that morning and put the containers right in the fridge. I have a small rubbermaid container full of plastic forks, spoons, and paper plates in my basement storage. I try to find a nice rest area or parking area that has a good view and eat on a pinic table or pull a lawn chair out and find some nice grass. I am also able to access the water closet, shower, and bed with all slides closed incase I find myself parking somewhere for the night to catch a nap. In my opinion the 3400RL is the perfect set up. Good luck on your decision for which floor plan works best for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #20
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
We have a 3400 we like it but we are having small things go wrong that should not. We had a leak in shower as did our friends (2) of them. We had valve in washer crack and fill trailer with water. Friend has had his black tank crack, another had his sink crack, small things that should not have happened, fault---poor workmanship on part of factory. Jerry, Peggy, and Cody the dog. Ford 2004 deisel with 4 inch exhaaust, airaid, and airride on rear end. 3/4 ton handles the rig great.
Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote