Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
gimpsta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21438
Camp Site lighting soft lighting

Maybe it is the wrong section: but Im tired of buying string lights and they are too bright.

Im looking for some lights to run around the awning that is a nice soft glow and candle level. I want soft yellow lighting to make a presentation of good welcoming ambiance.

Ideas?

gimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
This is my sort of thing (I own a mobil disco and do stage lighting as a hobby).

If your to go to the extreme there are waterproof LED strips available from Aspect (among others) that have custom controllers that let you dim the lighting. You can get them in several colors or multicolor. You won't need a power supply if you run them off of 12volt as the power supply simply takes you from 110 AC to 12v dc. All you need is the controller.

Now if your going to that much trouble I recommend getting the RBGA (Red Green Blue Amber) version of the lights which will give you better pastels than RGBW (Red Green Blue White). With the dimming feature you will be able to really get the effect you want. Be advised though that the RBGA will need 5 conductor wire where a single color will use only two conductors.

If you REALLY want to go all out get a wireless DMX controller and you can control add belly lights and put on a real light show!

If you want to get stupid expensive talk to Boggie Lights. The specialize in RV colored LED lighting and can do anything you want very professionally if you have the bank account to afford it....

Or you can go the cheap route like I did and get the $22.00 16' LED string from WalMart for the belly and not even use the lights on the awning. It makes for a very nice color changing (glowing) light that is not bad at all since you usually can't see the bulbs (that is the real trick of lighting is to have it indirect --if you can't see the source at all but only the glow it will give you the effect your looking for--us too very romantic.....). I have a recent string under upgrades/improvements section of this forum on this very subject.

Good luck. With whatever you decide.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
These guys have been well used for lighting by me in the past. Good stuff. A simple set of yellow mini lights and a dimmer would be cheap. Call them if you want something already dim in a yellow LEAD.
https://www.christmaslightsetc.com/browse/?q=yellow+LED
Old 03-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
gimpsta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21438
Man you guys rock!

But - I want to expand upon my request.

I don't like rope lighting, I want exterior lighting spaced out. But i don't want it bright.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
You could spray paint the bulbs in your pic. Pick a color you like and do a light coat. If it's not enough just keep adding coats until your happy. By the way those lights are pretty cheap at Harbor Frieght.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Just get a dimmer
Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Since we are on the soft romantic lighting subject I will mention that WalMart also has some inexpensive battery powered LED lighting that is great to set the mood. Just set them in quart jars or old lanterns....sets the mood real easy
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
gimpsta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21438
Awesome everyone. I will give it a try
Old 03-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpsta View Post
Awesome everyone. I will give it a try
Hey your down in PanamaCity. Give us some good campground reviews!!!!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
We have used a dimmer we bought from Lowes to adjust the level of light we wanted. We used the big globe balls attached to the awning on our last 2 TT`s with the above mentioned dimmer, without issue.

Now our new unit.....I CANT even reach the awning without a ladder, except right beside the door using the top step, enough to tighten the clamp down to put it on a tilt if I needed to.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
gimpsta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21438
Im going to attempt a dimmer and see what I can do. I may add some quick connectirs to the awning and light string that I can attach with simply a hook at the end of a broom handle.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #12
denhammkc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18294
I have the big globes and would like a dimmer. What kind did you get, is it wired to an outside outlet or is it made for outdoor patio lights?
2011 RAM / airbags / Anderson Ult. hitch / 2017 Montana 3721RL/Disc brakes, oil-bath Timkin bearings, shocks, X-factor/Tank-less water heater and built in water softener/Barker auto drain valves/4x100 amp Battle born/Go-power 3000 whole rig inverter/all LED running lights and a lot more.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #13
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
We use the table tiki torches for our soft lighting.
fre1fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know you specified no rope lights, but I permanently attached two 18' strings of blue rope lights under each frame rail and added a switched receptacle inside the belly to plug them in and be out of the weather. It provides a soft blue glow on the ground from about the rear tires on forward around the front and back to the tires on the other side. They stay attached to the frame rails, so no stringing lights from awning to whatever and having the mad dash to remove them if a storm comes up. As fre1fred2 stated ... we also use tiki torches for outer lighting. The $4 metal torch stakes found at Wally World or say Menards work well to hold the torch holders anywhere we want except of course concrete pads. I also added a length of color changeable LED's under the awning rail as many have or the newer RV's come with. Dimming the LED's and going with orange color cuts down on bugs greatly.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I know I mentioned this place months back and they are out of stock at this time but these are great for what the OP was wanting. Very low key not bright yellow rope LED lights. I put them up in the ceiling corners of an outdoor living area and they provide a nice subdued glare free lighting to the 200 sq ft area. https://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p...21606--891.htm
Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhammkc View Post
I have the big globes and would like a dimmer. What kind did you get, is it wired to an outside outlet or is it made for outdoor patio lights?
search plug in dimmer at AMZN. And use bug lights. Search 40 watt a19 yellow bug light.