Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #21
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by puzzie
... We just purchased our truck and we got the 3500 Duramax Chevy 1 ton dually ... Oh our truck is 2 wheel drive but I agree with the other folks that it is personal preference ...
And a side benefit for you is that the 2 wheel drive will lessen the load on the front axel. I don't ahve the numbers in front of me but know that my front axel weight is the only weight that is close to the advertised limit. That is due to not only the 8.1 liter engine but also the 4x4 and front off-road skid plate.

The 4x4 has saved my bacon a couple of times but if I didn't have it, I just would have done things differently. Such as refuse a soft campsite after a heavy rain.

Craig

DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:55 AM   #22
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
We have been full-timers for 10 months now and really like it. The time has passed quickly and we have had some adventures! The rig has covered 28 states so far and we are planning to get some more soon. The best site rentals are monthly, so we don't move a lot or often. The full timer liftstyle lets us spend time with all the kids that live around the country! We have met some wonderful people on the road and made many friends too. I do not miss the household maintenance. The 5th wheel has to be maintained, but that is not as bad as a house! We love how easy the Big Sky is to keep clean! Towing with a F-350 XLT Ext Cab LB V-10 6.8 L and 4.30 rear-end. It tows like a dream and we are very happy. Good Luck with your Full-timer adventures and hope you have as nice a time as we have had!
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #23
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by w4nfr
... Towing with a F-350 XLT Ext Cab LB V-10 6.8 L and 4.30 rear-end. It tows like a dream and we are very happy.
So happy that your full time adventure has turned out so well for you. But I gotta ask. With a 4.30 rear-end, what kind of gass mileage do you get?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by two hopefuls and a dog

Greetings one and all. I have been reading with awe and delight everyones adventures. My husband and I are planning on retiring soon, hopefully in August and getting a Montana and truck and hitting the road fulltime. That statement both excites me and terrifies me as we have never had any rv experience. We have many questions we hope someone can answer. My husbands first question: We are looking at a Ford F350 dually 4X4 to buy but my husband is wondering if it would be better to have a 4X2 because they can haul more weight. We don't intend on being anywhere where snow would be a problem. My first question is, Did anyone else out there have reservations about selling their house and going full-time? It sounds so wonderful! Any regrets? Thanks.
Two hopefuls and a dog
My wife and I went full time in our 3555RL Montana in November of 2000 and never looked back. We had some reservations prior to making the decision but after having a moving sale, garage sale, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., we moved whatever we could into our Montana. Unfortunately, we really crammed every nook and cranny with "stuff" we thought we'd need. But after a year and we hadn't used some of the "stuff," we got rid of it. Now our philosophy is "if you don't use it, lose it."

Every full-timer we have met has gone through the same throes of "should we or shouldn't we?" We are really happy we made the move. We belong to the Escapees RV Club and I recommend to everyone that this is a good club to belong to as full-timers.

We pull our Montana with a '95 F-250, 4WD. We had the 4WD because we lived in snow country, but we haven't been sorry we had it a couple different times. Once when we were parked in a low spot in a RV park, it rained all night and the next morning when we went to leave, we were stuck. We put it in 4WD and walked out. Another time, we were coming through White Pass in the State of Washington (elev about 4400 ft), it had begun snowing and we had to go into 4WD due to 5 inches of snow. So you see, you make your choices.

My advice is ask a lot of questions. You'll get a lot of answers. Everyone has there own feelings about things but I'll bet that once you decide to go full time and not look back, you'll be very happy. One of the great things that we have noticed is that we see our 4 boys and their families at least once each year now -- and we get to visit them AND then go home.

Hope this helps you a little. If you want to communicate more about this, I'll be happy to help.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #25
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We start fulltiming in less than 20 days. We are selling all and storing only the things I can't bear to part with. Gyro retired July 31st at 55, I am going with him at 48. We figured the sooner the better. Nervous, heck yes! But excited too. So many unknowns, starting with where to go first. Best of luck from us who are there right now.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Kimmrq! Hope you have a great time! We did the same time. I retired at 55, Vicki quit her job at 53. She'll reach 55 about a month after the rally but don't tell her I told you that. Hope you enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #27
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
We are new to the full timing, I have owned 32 travel trailers but this is my firs 5th wheel, I am Jerry, my wife peggy and dog Cody. We got a 3255 4 months ago, decided it was to small so traded for a 3400 which we pick up tomorrow. So far we love it. We are in Elkins WV alonga trout stream and plan to head for Iowa for hunting season then its FL for the winter. We pull with a Ford 2004 6.0 deisel with a 4 inch pipe from the turbo. Want to get a K & N air filter but they dont make it yet. The truck is great no problem at all. If I can help anyone let me know, I know I will need help. Jerry, Peggy and Cody(Silky)
Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, mtman1313 and thanks for introducing yourselves. We're also in WV at the moment but 150 or so miles south of you, near Beckley. Friday we pull out and head for Virginia. I agree with you about the 6.0. We're running our 3295RK at the heavy end of the weight rating and the truck does a super job. But it's sure racking up the miles in a hurry. The truck has 46,600 on it in 14 months.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:11 PM   #29
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
We also agonized over if we should sell our house and 'stuff'. However, we decided to sell and have not regretted it. We have been on the road for a year and we are loving every minute of it. We have seen more in the last 12 months then a lot of folks see in a life time. There are many books available on fulltiming that may help you in your preparations to hit the road. Most of them discuss the topic of to sell or not to sell your home. We hope this is helpful. Have a great day.
Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:12 AM   #30
Montana_2006

M.O.C. #2006
Thank Heaven I found you folks! I am 55, wife Jan is 52. Trying to talk her into selling everything and going "fulltime" in a 3650RK. We have raised two children (daughter in Vegas, son in Columbus, OH - Go Buckeyes!) She is responding with all the logical questions about insurance, enough money and what if one of us gets sick. We have been married 32 years and always went the safe, conservative saver route. I am looking for some excitement and taking some chances. I look forward to spending some quality time together and also with some friends like appear on this forum.

I have looked around quite a bit and feel the Montana is about the best on the market! I have yet to cover all the various forums on the site but it appears you all are very happy with your homes. Have been told the best route for towing would be a 3/4 ton HD 4x4 but no need for duelies. Any suggestions (not only on the truck) would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, a big tip of the hat to Steve and Vicki, great website & wonderful pictures.
Montana_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #31
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
We've been full-timing just about a year now, we can't believe how fast the time has passed, and we've never regretted it for one minute.
What made the final decision for us was the location of our house. We lived in Northern Illinois and knew we did not want to spend the rest of our lives there. So what were we really gaining by holding on to the house and travelling part-time? Except worries about the garden (in the summer), possibly failing heaters and bursting pipes (in winter) and paying $5,000 a year in taxes to store furniture most of which we would sell anyway before making a cross-country move. Yes, we still have some "stuff"; it's in a small storage area in northern Wisconsin where we have relatives and the storage units are cheap. And, yes, I too throw away more and more stuff we crammed into our 3295 every time I re-organize the kitchen, basement, or closets. It's amazing what you don't need!!
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:02 PM   #32
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Wow! What great affirmations on fulltiming. We've been toying with the same decisions as everyone else...to do or not to do? You're helping us decide. As for the truck question, everybody has already said what needs to be said: personal decision is the bottom line. We did go the BIG truck route as we bought a BIG SKY trailer and the male racefan believes in "overkill"--always wants to have the most power, the most pull, the most traction...whatever! And yes, we did go with the 4x4 dually. We live in a mountainous area, have snow and the 1-ton became our single personal vehicle. We've used the 4x4 on several occasions at home, pulling the Big Sky, and in some bad road conditions. No regrets. So now we should get the big "For Sale" sign out and get moving.
#29 fans Chuck and Linda
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:52 AM   #33
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I am new here but have been camping and RVing all my life. Here's my two cents about your choice of truck. My brother has a brand new Ford 4x4 F350, I drive a 1999 Chevy C/K 3500 crew cab daully with the Vortec 454. I have out towed and gone places he would never think of going. I did the following things to my truck: added a Cold Air Intake, Throttle body spacer, true dual exhaust system, computer tuner and locking rear end. With the locking rear end I have never been stuck even in areas that the 4x4's have gotten their trucks stuck. If you know how to drive and know your truck's limitations in bad situations, you will never have a problem. Don't get me wrong I have had 4 4x4 trucks and all served me well but when it came to my latest thruck I did some thinking. I added up the number of times I actually (REALLY NEEDED) 4 wheel drive and guess what - I realized I really didnt need it. I have been in the western NC mountians, TN, up and down the east coast and across the southwest and not one time have I ever been in a situation that my locking rear axle was not able to get me out. My brother and I own a farm in Old Town FL and even around the farm 4x4 is nice to have but not a needed thing. There are a lot of great trucks out there you just need to find the one that suits your needs and most of all you have to like what you are buying or you will be trading it in in short order.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:01 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff Heiser, you didn't say what engine and rear axle your brother's F350 has and what each is towing. The magazines, using current year vehicles, get different results than yours but the main point in all those tests is that all three brands have vehicles that can do a super job with any of the Montanas. That includes the recent tow tests in Motor Trend and Truck Trend magazines (September issues, if I recall).

I would like to caution everyone, including myself, that we have been very careful in this forum to not get into brand wars. Let's please continue to avoid that situation.

Thanks.

Jeff, I hope you folks didn't have any serious damage or problems from the recent storms?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #35
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Please, I apologize about naming brands. It was unintentional. I was just trying to make a point regarding how a truck is setup. Regardless of the brand, if a tow vehicle is setup correctly, to fit the need, you should never have a problem towing your unit. I was also really just trying to say that 4 wheel drive is not really needed if you know how to setup and use your selected tow vehicle properly and where you plan on using it. I know so many people that have 4 x 4 trucks that as soon as they are off the pavement they are into 4 wheel drive and becasue of that they will swear they need 4 wheel drive which is just not true. Anyway, thats just my 2 cents and there are a lot of 2 cents around.

We didnt have too much damage, at least not what we were excepecting (like Pensacola). Thank goodness we were somewhat spared. We evacuated to GA. We stayed in the best, most friendly campground we have ever stayed in. It wasnt anything special but the owner was a saint. He did not turn one evacuee away. His camp is setup for 42 sites, he easily had over 100 units in the camp for at least 3 days or more. The place is called Shady Oaks (I think) and coming out of FL on I-95 it is at exit 1 in GA. What great people.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 09-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, you need not apologize. As I re-read my post I realize I am the one who should apologize. So please accept my apology. I generally try to heed my own advice but failed to do so that time. I appreciate your not coming back and flaming me for my comment. I agree with you, all three have great trucks that, set up correctly, can do a great job. Likewise, set up poorly, they'll do a poor job. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #37
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Well, we picked up our brand new 327RKS Friday 9/24 as the Brevard County FL Emergency Operations Center issued evacuation orders for where we live. We left and wound up in Thomasville GA. I take back everything I said about having 4 wheel drive. If you can get it, you should. We weathered the storm just fine until we packed up to leave and the campground had an easy 3 to 6 inches of water throughout. I pulled out on to the camp exit road which just happened to be GA clay. I was fine until I started sliding sideways and almost hit a pine tree before I got both truck and trailer stopped. Well once you stop in that muck you are done for. No locking rear end will get you out of what we were stuck in. I dont know even if 4 wheel drive would have but, 4 wheel drive would have kept me from sliding sideways which would have meant no stopping which would have meant no tow truck.

Not much damage at our home. Just a lot of cleanup.

I am looking for a new truck. We traded a Fleetwood 30E Mallard for our 327RKS and absolutely love it.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #38
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Jeff, glad to hear all is well and You faired alright. We have yet to see out site in The Great Outdoors in Titusville, but I think we'll be ok.
On my trips back to NJ I have stayed in that CG. Come to find out, the owners used to live within 15 min from me in NJ. It's a small world.

To back up Your initial posts, I can say that a 2wd truck can go places that a 4wd will require 4wd. My 4x4 gets stuck faster in 2wd than a 2wd does. I guess the little extra front end weight goes a long way. These diesels are anchors with 2wd.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #39
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrivesBGM

quote:Originally posted by w4nfr
... Towing with a F-350 XLT Ext Cab LB V-10 6.8 L and 4.30 rear-end. It tows like a dream and we are very happy.
So happy that your full time adventure has turned out so well for you. But I gotta ask. With a 4.30 rear-end, what kind of gass mileage do you get?

Craig

Mileage:The 4.30 rear end gives a little extra towing capacity. Towing on level highway I get around 9.5 to 10 mpg using reg gasoline. In mountains, the mileage usually drops to around 8.5 to 9 mpg. If towing downhill, I have gotten 10 to 10.5 mpg. The truck gets 12.5 to 13 mpg when not towing. The BS 3575rl tows so nice, I often forget it is back there! However, the rear view mirrors remind me that it is following me!
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, we were out of communication when you posted about getting stuck. Sorry to hear about that and hope the damage ($ and otherwise) wasn't too great. Let us know when you get that new truck.