Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Winterizing for the first time! Tips anyone?

We used to have a TT that we winterized but this will be our first winter to winterize the Monty. We do have the convenience center. Are there any tips and tricks you Seasoned Veterans have for us on the best procedures, what to avoid, etc? The sales rep made it sound so easy that we just put a hose in a bottle of RV antifreeze and turn on winterize. I know there is more to it than that...i.e. blowing out your lines ahead of time, etc.

We also need to know how you winterize your washer/dryer and are there any special things to do with it.

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I do not blow out my lines first. I just bypass the water heater, hook up a hose to the winterize connection, drop the other end into the jug, turn on the pump, and sequentially turn on one faucet at a time until I have pink flowing thru each. That also puts antifreeze in the traps. I typically open each low point drain (I have two) first to get flow started from the jug and fill those lines. After all faucets (including the shower) I flush the toilet until I see pink.
I bought a short white fresh water hose and cut it in half for my hose. I cut it at a slight angle so it does not sit flat on the bottom of the jug. I set the jug on a short step ladder so that it is near the connection and in view out a window. Reason I do that is the jug will empty pretty fast and start sucking air. When I see the jug near empty, I turn off the pump, go outside, and refill the jug from a full jug so that the hose stays full of liquid.
After all other lines are filled with antifreeze, I do the washer/dryer according to Spledide guidelines.
I (and some others) have sometimes had a problem getting antifreeze flow to start when the pump is turned on. The slightest air leak at the hose connection will prevent flow. And I have sometimes had a problem with the connection getting it sealed tightly. If you have a problem getting flow started, look there first.
Don't forget to drain the water heater and check your anode rod while you are at it. And flush the WH tank while the anode rod is out. Stand back when you remove the rod or you will likely get soaked.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Bill, and before pumping pink stuff into the system, be sure to turn the hot water bypass valve to prevent filling your hot water tank with pink stuff. In addition I hook the blue coiled hose for the outside shower to the black tank flush and pump a little pink to it. Be sure to turn both hot and cold taps on at each sink and shower (including aforementioned outside shower) to make sure all lines are full of the pink stuff. With all of that (including Splendide) we usually use about 3 to 3 1/2 gallons of the pink stuff each time (we have to winterize twice since we take a Thanksgiving trip, winterize before Halloween in our part of the country and prior to returning from Thanksgiving trip). We also do not blow out the lines first.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Fascinating that you don't blow out the lines first! That would definitely save us a step. I knew MOC members would have some great tips and tricks!!! Our last trailer only took a little over a gallon so I am glad I asked and know to buy more this time around. I like the idea of leaving the hose in the jug and just filling the jug outside of the convenience center. That is a great idea. Thanks Bill and Bingo for the great advice.

Thanks Bill for the warning about the issue with 'no flow' and what to check first. It is those little things that can end up taking your whole day to troubleshoot.

Bingo we will be winterizing twice this year too. We are going to Quartzite this year. I think we will be winterizing before Halloween too because we blow out our sprinkler lines October 1st.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What you do with your batteries will depend on whether you leave the Monty plugged in or not. Tell us what you plan to do with the electrical and we'll give you some ideas in that area also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Oh goodness! I thought I was doing good to ask about winterizing the water pipes....uhhhh...I will ask Keith what he plans to do with the unit this winter. All I know is that we are going to Q in January. Other than that I have not a clue. We are thinking of installing a generator before then and may have a battery attached to that with a trickle charger. Other than that I am clueless.

I have already done 'my part'! I have removed all of the clothing, toiletries, and food from the trailer to prepare for winter. The rest is on his to do list!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Already Carol!! There are plenty more days/weekends to take the trailer out before the "snow flies"...
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol, just move south until the temperatures get warm enough to keep your lines from freezing!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

Already Carol!! There are plenty more days/weekends to take the trailer out before the "snow flies"...
Ed could you PLEASE tell my husband Bobcat92 that!!! I would love to go somewhere every weekend! He keeps whining about fuel costs, and having other things to do.... I keep hinting that we could go south for Thanksgiving but NOoooooo! Oh well!

Snfexpress...I would love to but that is a no go. I was born in Florida and raised mostly in very southern California (Chula Vista) and somehow I end up in 'sunny' Billings, MT where it has been down to -40! At least I convinced him to go to Q in January!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I've been camping and winterizing since mid 70s and never had one freeze. I don't think RV anti-freeze was even available back then.

My procedure: drain hot water tank, bypass hot water tank, drain low point, pressurize water system to about 30#, hold bottle under faucet and open valves until nothing but air comes out then I pour about 1/3 cup antifreeze in all traps including shower.

I can winterize about 3 times with one gallon of anti-freeze.

Of course I live in Alabama and don't have to be that well done. Even go father south Jan and Feb.

Ice makers and washers is something I don't have so no infomation there.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Paul for letting us know your procedure! I see a pattern here of draining the 'low point' or starting with the 'low point' so that is something the we should make sure we do! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
There are 2 basic ways, drain and blow the lines, or use the pink antifreeze, both work well, we use the blow the lines out, the washer has it in the manual what to do, it's simple.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
So basically we were doing double-duty - Draining/blowing the Lines AND using the pink stuff! Well I guess we didn't have anything to worry about other than wasting another hour of our day!

Thanks for the heads up Ron!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
air vs antifreeze preferences?
what about the black tank flusher, fresh water fill line from convince center
has anyone made a comprehensive winterizing list with processes in order?
Mikey
PS I'm also going to do the Montana for the first times this year
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
The list sounds like a good idea! From what I have heard so far you definitely don't want to forget the convenience center shower, and the black tank flusher. Other than that a list would be great! I should start making one based on the info I have received so far.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Even if I made a list, it would only be good for a year, because I would forget where the list was by the next year. Heck, every year, I have to go on Splendide's web site to print out the washer winterizing instructions (for DW of course). Besides, a list is a good idea, but to me it would resemble a manual. Men do not use manuals (actually they should be named womanuals!!) Betcha that will give this thread some rejuvenation!! Hee Hee!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Havn't used the used the pink stuff in years. Just blow out the lines with air and make sure I open the low point drain too. That's if I even winterize, we use ours year round since some of the best camping here in Texas is in the winter and we also go out with our camping group the Boomers. Most times for that occasional 20 deg day I just turn on the heat at 50 degs and it's fine. Yeah it uses a little propane but I don't gotta do a pitb several times a winter. When I lived up north I used the pink stuff because I was afraid blowing the lines would still leave some water caught or trapped in some nook or cranny. I once bought a trailer that they did not winterize and figured how hard could it be to fix some broken water lines???????? Yeah it's a real PITB, so don't ever wanna do that again....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Bingo you are funny!!! I know my husband would read the list...not a manual so much...but he is all about spreadsheets. I thought I would create the list, then print it out, laminate it and attach it to the inside of the pass through door so you can't lose it...unless you lose your Monty. We are also going to create a little sheet on all of the stuff that needs to be torqued now and then and what the torque value is and laminate that and put it on the door. I know...we are a little OCD!

Steelpony5555 I don't think we could go without the pink stuff (too cold here, although I would love to! I hate it because I am always afraid it is NOT all out of the system when we go to use it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
He(e) He(e)
But we're doing Montana not a WoMantana!!!
But honestly folks ---- take my wife please! (just kidding)
But honestly honestly it's the woman's job to read and check off things and check that we did what they told us to do!

Why don't I start a list for my wife and we can all add things for her to tell me to do (I recommend a walkie talkie for ease of communication). There are lots of lists out there for RV but this would be for Montana configurations.

-----------------------
Winterization checklist (Version 1) for Montana's, using only RV antifreeze or vodka with food dye with convenience center, Splendide washer prep, outdoor shower. (Inside upper cabinet door in a plastic sleeve)

Supplies
4 Gallons antifreeze
Wrench to remove hot water heater drain plug
Teflon tape for installing drain plug
New drain plug anode?
Hot water flush wand
Hose with male hose end 24" and end cut at an angle

Process
Turn off hot water heater both electric and propane, let cool down
Turn off street water supply
Turn off water pump
Have a beer

Turn heater bypass valve to bypass
Drain white water tank
Open low point valves
Open hot water heater relief valve
Remove hot water drain plug
With hot water tank flush tool flush out tank
Have a beer

Hook up antifreeze filler hoses and insert into gal of antifreeze
Turn convience center valve to winterize
Turn on water valve
Open kitchen faucet hot and cold until antifreeze comes out, flowing enough to fill trap (~1 cup)
Open bathroom faucet hot and cold until antifreeze comes out, flowing enough to fill trap (~1 cup)
Open shower faucet hot and cold until antifreeze comes out, flowing enough to fill trap (~1 cup)
Open outside shower faucet hot and cold until antifreeze comes out
Connect short hose from outside faucet to black water flush valve and run until you hear flusher
Connect short hose from outside faucet to street water inlet and turn convenience center valve to fill and flow for a few
Remove hose from convenience center
Have a beer

Proceed to washing machine and the prep plumbing
Have a beer
----------------------------------------------------------

This is ver. 1 please correct and add to and comment on
Mikey

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Bingo, I tend to be AR when it comes to lists, so I am going to print off the winterizing list and attach it to the inside door of the convenience center.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote