Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Professor Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #22062
Satellite Convenience Ctr Issues

Hello,
We are owners of a new 2018 3560 RL - overall very happy Montana owners for years.
We are experiencing trouble as previously noted extensively accessing the "Satellite" inputs outside the rig - it is at Camping World right now and supposedly awaiting a response from Keystone.
Guess my question is - has anyone been successful in getting these issues resolved by the manufacturer/dealer on a new rig? Just doesn't seem right that they ship these expensive units knowing they do not work.

Best to all

Professor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Satellite and coax issues are many if you do a search on the MOC. From bad crimps, low grade cable, too many and low grade splitters, coax just plain not hooked up, on and on. If you plan on using only one TV for satellite … do like many of us and just add a thru wall connector near that TV. Then just carry a 30' or more length of coax to go from your say Tailgator or Pathway to that connector. If you need a feed to both TV's … the challenge will be more difficult. You'll need to almost eliminate the OEM splitters or upgrade to better ones.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have abandoned all of the TV cabling in our unit.

I have rewired our unit with HD cable and run 2 portable satellite antennas.

I remove the telephone connector at the rear of our unit and replace that with a coax feed thru for the TV in the rear.

I fished a coax from the basement to the bedroom TV and across the basement to the convenience center and run the second portable antenna on that one.

We use the Winegard carry out on the rear TV and the King on the bedroom TV.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First, welcome to the forum! The cableing is trying to accomplish everything at once and there is no possibility it would work for most people anyway. The reason I say that is that most people want to use a tailgator type antenna and the antenna companies and the satellite providers both are very spacific that a Tailgator type antenna will only work with a max lenth of 25' of cable connected directly (no other connector) to the satellite box. Since in order to attach to the convenience center ports you are using additional connectors and way too much cable, it can't work right. Tailgaters are powered from the satellite box and it can't reliably get enough power down the line to move the antenna. To make matters even worse folks want to watch on air TV on all three TV's so behind the convenience center is a splitter that sends that signal to all three and causes another road block to the power from the satellite receiver. I use G2+ antennas because they supply their own power and work fine with the OEM system once I removed the splitter. I can tell you from experience that I've never met a dealer that understood this, nor will they remove OEM equipment, like the splitter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I replaced all connectors and splitters in the system, this included the entry point connections. I found the cable worked fine just poor connections and components. All works fine now!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I had my 3160 in for the same issue. The dealer said they would have to remove ceiling panels to trace the coax and look for problems. That is when I hitched it up and got it away from them. Fixed it myself at home.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

X2 for DQDick

On the Winegard G2 I have used 100 ft of coax and 100 ft of extension cord in order to get signal to the Montana.

Not possible with the King unit and it is provider specific however when you can use the short cable for the King unit it is easer for you receiver to adjust to.

I use both the G2 and the King for Dish

Gota keep the boss lady happy!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote