Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not know what we are doing but we have never since 2006 and two Montana's had a black tank or galley tank odor problem/ We do use a lot of water and dump often.We are in warm to hot climates all year.Perhaps lots of water and dump often is the answer.?
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #42
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
When I dump, I first pull the black tank valve and let it drain as much as it will. Then pull the two grey tank valves. The grey water flows to the black tank and helps to rinse it out.
Then when the flow slows/stops, turn on the rinse. When it runs clear, turn everything off and close all valves. Calgon and cheap laundry detergent added after tank is empty. Five years in the rig about 5-6 months each and no problems or odors so far.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #43
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Mark7, your rig may sit lower to the ground than others. But the rigs with hydraulic levelers must sit higher. If I were to put a bottom drain on my tanks the effluent piping would still be 6 to 8 inches above the front landing ram foot and the same for the mid ram. I have installed a 6 inch PVC pipe just behind the landing gear ram. It's for storage of the sewer hose and it is below the drop frame but still well above the ground. Any elbow installed on the bottom of a tank would be at least 10 to 14 inches above the bottom of the storage pipe.

As for water, I am not concerned with that I am concerned with solids not being able to flow out over that lip.

Just saying is all.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #44
jcurryii
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12636
Had similar odor problem, found indoor sewer vents, kitchen and bath sinks, to be the problem(sticking open?). Solution replace with better quality units or do as I did(at the suggestion of my trusted repairman)block them off all together, sinks will still vent. Had no problems with draining or more important no more odor problems.
You will still get odors if you have roof vents open and the wind is coming in the right direction.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 AM   #45
DebNJim B
Established Member

M.O.C. #21158
I agree with Beau2010 only I run the rinse before dumping the grey. Either way will work and like Richfaa I use lots of water when flushing. Six years in two rigs at 6 months a year and never an odor problem.
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote