Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Hot water heater

for some time now when we ran out hot water heater on electric he had a hi pitch squeel ir hissing sound, was told it was from calcium build up or the anode rod. Well the other day I shut the water off and drained the tank and the got a nozzel on the hose and kept sticking it in the drain hole and kept flushing the tank.Each time I did this I got alot more calcium build up out. Some of it was in the half round shape like comming off the heating element. Took about 20 min. of doing this before there wasn't much left to come out. Put the rod back in, filled it up turned on electric and bingo, no more noise.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Allen,
Everytime we park the Montana after use, I drain the hot water tank and clean the rod. I think this keeps the tank from accumulating much calcium. Not saying that's a must do, just something I do.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, the rod was covered like a wet blanket..
We don't put up with squeelers out west.. Glad you got it fixed.

...and bingo no more noise... Bingo will be relieved to hear that..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This is a timely thread, in the last month 4 rigs here at the park have lost water heaters to holes. 3 of them didn't even know they had to replace the anode or that they even had an anode or what an anode was. The other knew but hadn't checked his in 2 yrs. After this evolution several other people checked their heaters and found lots of calcium and almost no anode. I am told that the water in Vegas is considered one of the harshest water supplies in the west. Very high alkali content and filters and a softener is a must. One couple ordered a softener and when the others found out they had the same couple order 4 more. So because of a rash of leaking water heaters there has been a run on anodes, heater flushing attachments, and water softeners. We have had a softener since we got the washer and dryer. I guess my point is that if you are out west and want to keep using your present water heater then check those anodes, flush those heaters and get a water softener...P.S. You too Oz!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yep, water softeners are easy to use, and will save a lot of problems down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
One of the advantages of living in a cold climate area that requires the rig to be winterized is that we have to drain the hot water tank at least once a year (twice for us due to our annual Thanksgiving trip). This is the time that the anode rod is removed to drain the tank and is visually inspected. And Ozz is right, I am relieved!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In late October or early November I winterize my Monty, of course draining the hot water heater is one of the things to do. At that time I pull the anode out and usually have to throw it away, there is always some left on it, but I would rather just replace it with a new one. Once a year mine gets a new anode and flush.

I always use a water softener when in the southern US and some other places, so I built this stand to accommodate my softener and filters, fits nicely in the storage. Poor water in, good water out... Filters are particulate and carbon. Softener usually requires a recharge of inexpensive salt every 7 - 10 days.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

This is a timely thread, in the last month 4 rigs here at the park have lost water heaters to holes. 3 of them didn't even know they had to replace the anode or that they even had an anode or what an anode was. The other knew but hadn't checked his in 2 yrs. After this evolution several other people checked their heaters and found lots of calcium and almost no anode. I am told that the water in Vegas is considered one of the harshest water supplies in the west. Very high alkali content and filters and a softener is a must. One couple ordered a softener and when the others found out they had the same couple order 4 more. So because of a rash of leaking water heaters there has been a run on anodes, heater flushing attachments, and water softeners. We have had a softener since we got the washer and dryer. I guess my point is that if you are out west and want to keep using your present water heater then check those anodes, flush those heaters and get a water softener...P.S. You too Oz!!
Ha! Got one...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ed, I noticed your softener is green, is that the de-ionizer or the softener? I thought the softeners were blue and the de-ionizer was green. I may be wrong (usually am) but I am looking at a de-ionizer for washing the rig too... P.S. a good water hardness test kit is a great tool too...
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
Ed, I noticed your softener is green, is that the de-ionizer or the softener? I thought the softeners were blue and the de-ionizer was green. I may be wrong (usually am) but I am looking at a de-ionizer for washing the rig too... P.S. a good water hardness test kit is a great tool too...
It is a softener, purchased in Yuma a few years back. Takes 2 cups of course salt to recharge it. Makes a fantastic difference where the water is hard, great for the wife's hair but has not helped my bald spot...
I carry a water test kit the same as I use for my pool as well.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
The system is the exact same as the On The GO system regardless of color. Actually the only difference between the softener and the de-ionizer is the internal media. The softener you recharge with salt, the de-ionizer you replace the media.. Very good systems both.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I make it a point to flush the hot water heater, sterilize the water system, and replace the filters in the rv on a regular basis (4 to 6 months) based upon frequency of camping. Even at 4 months I find deposits to wash out of the tank. The good thing is all this has inspired me to do the same for my in-house hot water tank and the first time I did it I realized I had sorely been neglecting it.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
smartazz says,
...hot water heaters are redundant....,

fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
How do you go about flushing your hot water heater? Do you take out the anode rod and run water out thru the opening until flushed out? Mine has a lot of stuff in the bottom of the hot water tank in the 2 years we have owned it.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
You turn off the elect to the heater first, then you let it cool and then remove drain/anode and let the heater drain completely. then you hook your hose to one of these and flush the bejabbers out of the inside of the heater. You can rotate this flushing wand 360 degrees to get all of the inside. Either do this barefoot or wear boots as your tennis shoes will get soaked doing this. If the anode is toast replace it.