Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Hard to cool

We have the 3750fl Big Sky. Has anyone else had trouble cooling the living room? I know we have had real hot weather in Kansas this year, but we do not get much air out of the vents when Ac is on.

dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
If you only have one AC in that big of a unit it will be almost impossible to cool it when the outside temp. is 90+. Most have found a 2nd air is needed in these biger units.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Paddler
Established Member

M.O.C. #11308
X2, second AC is a must for temps above 90.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
X3 on the second AC. Had added it to our Montana and ordered with our SOB. And agree at 90 degree temps with only 30 amp service could only run one AC and had trouble staying cool. With both ACs running easy to keep inside temp in the 70s.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
oops, should have said. We DO have the second AC. We did do some looking around after I wrote this and found that one of the Vents is coming from the Ac in the bedroom. That is a long way to get the air from.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We spent the summer in Kansas and while we don't have your rig we do have a 38' rig. We spent 29 days in weather over 100 and a week in the 114 area. We also have two full size AC units, not a small one in the front. First of all, if your in the direct sun your AC units will only be able to lower the temperature you have outside by about 20 degrees. This is the same for stick houses. We shut the dump in the bedroom during the day so most of the bedroom cooled air has to go down the ducts. In your rig you would then open the dump in the living room so all the air it produces and some coming from the bedroom can go in there. We use cardboard to cover the windows in the front when it gets really hot. If that isn't enough and since you have two slides I would cut some foam and fit it in the sides of the slides like those who winter in the really cold weather do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Our bedroom was always cooler than the LR, so we set a fan at the top of the steps in the BR, pointing toward the LR...plus, do you have a ceiling fan, they are a big help.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
cherry capital mi

M.O.C. #12301
Just wondering if you had issues with water coming inside.
cherry capital mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Ok..Please do not think I am stupid...but what is a sob in RV lingo? Our Living room is up in the front of the trailer and we have 5 slides. We have ALL our windows with the foil insulation so it looks like a cave in here...but otherwise we could not get it below 90 inside during the hottest. We just had it our for some major repairs and asked them to check both AC units and other then the loose bolts to hold it on the trailer...all was well with them both. I guess that is the bad part of have the living room up in the 5th wheel area...as heat does rise.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cherry capital mi

Just wondering if you had issues with water coming inside.
We have not had any water coming in issues anywhere. Where have u had the issues at?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Two things we learned about our 3750. First both air units need to be set high fan and low cool 74. Yes as you later wrote both units provide air to vents. Make sure back air is only flowing into vents not down from unit into bedroom. Set ceiling fan in kitchen on med to high flowing down. Then put the fantastic fan in living room on lowest setting pulling air out of coach. It's normally 110-115 here and this process worked. Before this proceedure, our kitchen and bedroom stayed cool but living room stayed warm. This Proceedure works perfectly for us. I am sure you have two units in your rig unless I read it wrong. Just try this, it sounds counter intuitive but that exhausting air from living room fan seems to suck air forward. Turn fantastic fan in living room up more until you feel air moving forward. It works great! We have two 15000 units which helps, some only have 15 and 13000.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dejama

We have the 3750fl Big Sky. Has anyone else had trouble cooling the living room? I know we have had real hot weather in Kansas this year, but we do not get much air out of the vents when Ac is on.
Well here is what I have found with our 3800RE. The return air ducts in the living room are collapsed and also the unit freezes up at times probably not getting enough air through the coils. I have taken some pics of this and sometime in Sept/Oct, it will be going in for repairs. If the return air is not recirculating all the air from inside the coach but pulling air within the rafters, that does not help so you might want to check that. When I get very little air out of the vents, I turn the a/c off and run fan only and you slowly feel the full flow of air coming back and I also get a musty smell, usually takes about 5 minuets to defrost........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Two things we learned about our 3750. First both air units need to be set high fan and low cool 74. Yes as you later wrote both units provide air to vents. Make sure back air is only flowing into vents not down from unit into bedroom. Set ceiling fan in kitchen on med to high flowing down. Then put the fantastic fan in living room on lowest setting pulling air out of coach. It's normally 110-115 here and this process worked. Before this proceedure, our kitchen and bedroom stayed cool but living room stayed warm. This Proceedure works perfectly for us. I am sure you have two units in your rig unless I read it wrong. Just try this, it sounds counter intuitive but that exhausting air from living room fan seems to suck air forward. Turn fantastic fan in living room up more until you feel air moving forward. It works great! We have two 15000 units which helps, some only have 15 and 13000.
Thanks, We will give that a try. We have decent temps down right now but since we live in our Rig and live in Kansas, we are sure to see the high temps again. Since you have a 3750 let me ask you a question. Have you noticed a lot of air coming out of the desk drawer area? We have done a few mods on your rig but cannot figure that one out.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We have not noticed that. I know a heat vent is just forward of that in living room. As you know the ducting is open in storage area. Could it be perhaps "pulled loose" and air coming inside from basement ? I will check tomorrow but my DW spends lots of time at desk and just told me she noticed nothing. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I have no "practical mechanical knowledge" but I have now traveled 8000 plus miles since April when we picked it up new. Lots of tear downs , hitching and close scrutiny of everything. Love the unit know the good and bad !
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Quote:

We have not noticed that. I know a heat vent is just forward of that in living room. As you know the ducting is open in storage area. Could it be perhaps "pulled loose" and air coming inside from basement ? I will check tomorrow but my DW spends lots of time at desk and just told me she noticed nothing. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I have no "practical mechanical knowledge" but I have now traveled 8000 plus miles since April when we picked it up new. Lots of tear downs , hitching and close scrutiny of everything. Love the unit know the good and bad !
Wow you have traveled a lot in a few months...one day we might also be able to do so. How does the DW like the cupboard right over the sink? My DW hated trying to get stuff in the back so we had doors made for the side just as you come in the trailer...now it is a pass thru cupboard. Best mod so far.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Lol what a great idea! She puts stuff we don't use often. If you got the "stepladder chair" you know how it works. She uses it daily when we travel. Put felt feet on it and it stays in staircase mode! If you did not get it .. Order it. Ours had it in the ad but it was not there on delivery, so, I made dealer order it! Great idea and matches everything. Just got to remember to move it from desk area when putting in the slide.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
vmoore1
Established Member

M.O.C. #12808
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, We will give that a try. We have decent temps down right now but since we live in our Rig and live in Kansas, we are sure to see the high temps again. Since you have a 3750 let me ask you a question. Have you noticed a lot of air coming out of the desk drawer area? We have done a few mods on your rig but cannot figure that one out.
We also noticed air flowing around desk drawers, water pump and plumbing lines behind the desk so I just need to open up that area and seal it better. I noticed the same thing in the bedroom from the outside storage thats under the headboard.
vmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #18
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Quote:

Quote:

Wow you have traveled a lot in a few months...one day we might also be able to do so. How does the DW like the cupboard right over the sink? My DW hated trying to get stuff in the back so we had doors made for the side just as you come in the trailer...now it is a pass thru cupboard. Best mod so far.
We did open up that area, we put cupboard doors there under the desk so we can get to the water lines and pump without hassle if need be. Which we were happy we did. We froze up inside just behind the control area of the water connection center. There is a water line that runs about 4 inches above an opening to the underbelly. With the wind that flows up through that area it froze in no time. We ended up having to put a heat tape on that. When we talked with the dealer/shop they said they called keystone and were told that opening has to be there for air exchange and to warm the underbelly. I politely told them that warm air cannot flow back down if that much air is coming up...and if my water line freezes 4 inches above, then pray tell me, how will it warm my underbelly 20 feet back. LOL they had nothing to say. My DW and I tool the panals off in the storage area and tried to seal it but we are still get some air through there. We are now at a loss of what to try next
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #19
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Regarding cooling your coach, agree with Artemus' post. To add, also turn on the ceiling fan to help move the air around. You may also want to have the dealer check the A/C out to make sure that everything is running as it should. On your cupboard and desk door, could you open up a new topic and post pictures and details. For example, what stain did you use to match the Monty? Thanks...
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We have the 3750Fl as well and it is hard to keep that front living room cool without shade here in Dallas. We took two sunshades and blacked the windows to keep the heat out and it helps but anything above 110 is tough.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote