Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hidden handle

Folks that have been here awhile have seen posts about difficulty in finding the galley tank handle. Well they aren't the only ones. Patterson RV (a non-Keystone dealer), who did my repairs, couldn't find it either.

The technician who repaired my plumbing knew that there was supposed to be a valve in the galley tank line, so near the junction of the galley tank line and the main discharge line, he installed a slide valve. Now I have two valves on the galley tank.

The new valve is harder to get at than the old valve between the wheels. I didn't discover the new valve until I tried to drain the galley tank and nothing flowed when I opened the old one. It got me to looking. I think the whole thing is a real hoot. So newbies, take heart.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope they didn't charge you for it. If they had to drain the tank and installed this handle it still wouldn't have done any good for them if the original one was still closed. They would have had to find it.

I'm not sure this would be a benefit having two handles especially if the new one is harder to use or access. Except the second one further down the line would give you some drain hose capacity if you leave the other one open.

This is quite humorous, but I'm thinking they did that to use a valve as a pipe connector. Hmmmmmm.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Art, I called them to ask. they confessed they couldn't find the old one. Insurance paid the bill.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Now--that's funny
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Still wonder why Keystone didn't put galley tank handle in the utility center with the other like things???? Sure would be better than having to do the low crawl every time the galley tank needs to be replaced. Now, here you are with two difficult to reach handles for the same tank...do I hear three????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Still wonder why Keystone didn't put galley tank handle in the utility center with the other like things???? Sure would be better than having to do the low crawl every time the galley tank needs to be replaced. Now, here you are with two difficult to reach handles for the same tank...do I hear three????
Cost...............

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have an older model without the convenience center. The anaconda for power gets plugged in at the driver's side back corner about my waist high. The water connections are about a couple feet from the same back corner behind its own little door. Then proceeding forward the galley waste handle is behind the rear axle and right between the back two Kitchen/dining and Living Room slideouts - lucky for me I can fit between them. Then the big drain outlet is in front of the front axle a couple of feet and under the Kitchen/dining room slideout (ugh). Finally, the black tank and bathroom gray tank valves are behind the basement doors another few feet forward of the axles.

I'm used to all these being so far apart because it seems convenient for the manufacturers and this is the tradition of trailering. I don't think there was a huge cost consideration until they decided it would be easy to sell the "luxury" convenience to new owners and any production costs would be minimal, but the cost of the rig could go up for more profit and us customers would pay for it because of the sell job.

I don't particularly care about the convenience. I like the poop shoot far away from the inlet plumbing and all the handles except that being under the slideout, this means I set up the drain FIRST then move the slides out. I also expect to pay more for a newer rig over the previous model that has more "luxury" features. This just helps us accept these cost increases. But we are willing to pay for "luxury features" like the big Class As and they know it. All they have to say is "our customers wanted it". Who am I to say, "you liar, you just want to charge more". Just my thinking out loud.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I too have the sewer under the dining room slide like most of the Montana's. When hooking up my sewer hose, it seems that the slide is out already....DW likes to run them out ahead of me.
Did anyone ever move the sewer outlet forward a bit to get at it when slides are out?
Maybe 1 or 2 feet? I am thinking about this...doesn't look too difficult to do.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I put an Auto-Drain on our rig. It is electric and is made such that it integrates with the existing valve meaning that you do not have to remove the valve. Put the switch in the Convenience Center. It was cheaper than the shirts I was ruining by crawling up underneath the kitchen side.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I really like your auto drain. It would work great on the "new" valve that is easily accessible, but.......I will need to wait until the pricing comes down about half. Great bit of engineering for retrofit.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I used to crawl under the dining slide to work the gally tank handle until the last MOC rally when a new friend showed me how to use the awning rod to reach under there and pull it open and push it closed. Thanks to all the MOC'er that figure these things out for dummies like me, lol.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I did the lesser expensive method and installed a cable actuated handle/valve and located at rear most location of the main slide.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote