Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
New Montana

We tend to think our 2007 Montana was built at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon as we have had one problem after another with it. Recently stopped at our dealer (ND) and looked at purchasing a new one with hopes the major items have improved. Certainly a beautiful rig and would cost us another $30,000 to get into it. While at camp, pulled out '07 brochure and compared with '12 and noted all major items seem to be same (other than new one being 1200 lbs. heavier and about 200 more lbs. of carrying capacity). New one DOES have 3" furnace duct compared to our 2". And the hitch seems to be improved. But a/c, fireplace, furnace, insulation specs, etc., all the same. As we recently upgraded Mor-Ryde and put 10-ply tires on, now not at all sure we should spend all that money just to begin hassle all over again. I know it's our call but wondering your thoughts. Have not looked into dealer's used fifth wheels and maybe you all have some idea of a "good" rig to look at? Cannot sell on our own as we are on the road full time and, also, cannot afford to purchase something else while paying on present one. Money is dear to us but so is a lessening of daily anxiety over what else might go wrong (while opening rig at dealers, noted curtain valance had pulled off ceiling and collapsed on recliners and tore off piece of ceiling as it did so). Would appreciate your inputs/suggestions, etc.

Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What kind of problems are you having? Are they the kind you'd expect could be repetitive or are they the kind once they're fixed you're pretty much past that problem?

Ours was built on a Friday per the build date, which also happened to be our youngest son's birthday. I was a bit concerned about that initially but at almost five years of fulltime traveling it's proven to be a pretty good rig. We've had little problems and screws come loose on various things but we drag it and bounce it down the road so we expect some of those things. We replaced our axles with the heavier ones. The early 2007's, like ours, came with 6,000 lb axles. The later ones, built starting around December 2006 or so came with 7,000 lb axles. The GVWR went up at the same time. I think that tag on the front street side notes the axle size. If not, email me the gvwr number on that tag and I can tell you which you have. Or you can crawl under and find the tag on the axles.

I don't know how long you've been fulltiming but maybe you've had the same experience as us. When we talk to others about their rigs we find others have just as many problems, some more. And it doesn't seem to be related much to the cost of the rig, either. Even Prevost coaches sometimes have big problems. If yours is truly a lemon, then I'd be inclined to trade it. Otherwise I'd fix it and keep going. It's hard to make that decision without knowing what you're dealing with, though.

Good luck to you. I know problems can be frustrating and can be expensive, which creates additional problems for most of us.

If you have any questions, you can click the envelope icon just above this post and email me if you want. I'd be glad to try to help however I can. Just be aware I'm not an expert.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I'm with Steve seems easyer to fix a few things and move on. now if you have bad problems then I guess you could think of trading. I feel like I have been lucky I have had some problems but most were small. Most of the things I have done were to improve mine and some were just to keep up with the guys on here.LOL. I have been wanting a new truck for awhile but it always seems to be cheaper to upgrade mine than make payments. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We upgraded from an 07 3075 to a 11 3400 HE and couldn't be happier. We have a two or three small problems but no big deal. Go for it.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Let us know when you find a RV, any brand, that will be trouble free because I want one of those now. Homework on any RV forum would have reveled that all brands have problems and that quality is not # 1 in the RV industry.
We purchased knowing the
re would be issues in fact because we belong to this forum and a couple of others nearly a year before we purchased we had a good idea of what kind of issues they would be.We were not surprised and we were prepared
We are 5 years on the road and after @ 1 year of problem solving followed by upgrades that we felt were needed for our travel style we have suffered few issues
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I am on my 4th RV. I have had pop-ups, Travel Trailers, Class A's and now a 5th wheel and I have treated and used them for what they were designed - recreational vehicles.
Mine was built in March of 06 and I bought it off a dealers lot with standard options.
My problems have been minimal mostly my stupidity.
Like leaving the awning out during a thunderstorm. Can't blame Keystone for that one
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
As told by a long time RVing friend..."If it hasn't broken yet, get ready, 'cause it's about to."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
The only reason we went from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel is because the ashtray was full!!!

Oh wait a minute.. They don't have ashtrays. Bought ours because the wife and I wanted something better than what we had when we retire.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Thanks for all the feedback. I prepared a list of repairs for the dealer and will submit it to him when we pick up the new rig on Monday (May 16th). It contains 40 items and thus too many to list here for those of you who were wondering what the issues were. They ranged from flooded bedroom due to broken water connection (within a month of purchase) to replacing all propane regulator valves to all slides leaking to replacing fireplace to replacing DVD player 4 times to broken TV to busted recliner to air mattress that was split at seams first time we tried to use it, etc. I am not at all pleased at starting over again but am hoping adding another $30,000 onto our debt load will cancel out the anxiety over what will fail, next! As this has been our only home for 8 years, I am hoping to have considerable less anxiety over next years???????
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Maury! While some issues come with the territory (YES, quality control for RVs is lacking) it sounds like you got a big lemon!
Don't give up, if you can afford a new one, shop around for best deal and be willing to drive some distance if necessary because you can save a bundle right now...it's a "buyers market"!
Good luck and hang in there!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Maury, we wish you the best during a bad situation with your rig. I kinda endorse Richfaa's comments as to the RV industry as a whole. The people I have dealt with and even at the Keystone level are great, but in seeps problems that erase their best intentions. We wish you the best. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Certainly appreciate the good wishes. We are going back to same dealer for another Montana (the bad news) but now much more aware of what to look for, ask about, insure against, keep a watchful eye on during the first year of full warranty, etc. Also, talked with someone from the Keystone home office as he called me because dealer unable to answer some of our concerns. A comment some of you made re: this being a "recreational" vehicle to contrast with living in it full time (as many of us do) resonated with us but not sure what to do about that. We will remain full time but maybe reduce our traveling a bit? But - hate to do that as we are still healthy enough to see more of our Country. On other hand, we are learning how to cushion things better (i.e., DVD and TV). We hope to continue this life style for a while, yet but will try to keep in mind some of the comments re: RV versus park models. Again, thanks for the input and the good wishes from people "who have been there." Maury
Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
If you are really thinking about up grading then I will tell you that we purchased our 2011 3400
RL from Bish's RV in Pocatello, Id. We saved over $20,000 from what we were quoted in Colo. We traded in a 2005 Open Road. Just love this new rig.
Good luck
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Maury -
If it were me, I would make the decision based on why I'm wanting the new unit versus issues I've had in the past. When we upgraded from our 3400 to our 365 Big Sky, we wanted the side aisle and many of the features our 2005 didn't have - like digital televisions, remote landing gears, etc. Remember, almost all manufacturers buy from the same pool of suppliers - Dometic, Dexter, Suburban, etc. Many use Mor Ryde and Lippert for their structural/suspension components. We are on our fourth set of tires, new axles, some frame repair and a few other issues. We love our unit and feel it was built with quality. Would I expect this from my car? No. But we are in essence taking a house on wheels. The stresses are a lot different. I will guarantee that these aren't designed using Finite Element Analysis and many of the other tools the auto industry uses. We wouldn't want to spend the money it would cost to use those tools. Good luck with your decision.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote