Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
cjohnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11148
Slide awnings

Recently purchased a 3100RL. Are the slide awnings a good accessory or just a luxury item?
Dealer where I purchase (Holiday World of Houston)quoted $1655.00 + tax, installed for the three slides on the 3100RL. What brands are available?, are some brands better than others?, Installation services in Houston area?
We are new to the fifth wheel world and would like to have installed before we take Escapees trip to Williams, AZ, last of May, if were are to have it done.
I have done a search, but did not get a lot of info.

Thanks

cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Manufacturer advised us they weren't needed as popouts are watertight. We are down here in Corpus Christi, TX and have camped from the Colorado Rockies to Florida and have noticed one thing consistently. When the wind blows hard, the awnings get torn up. We have seen some who had to close their slides up to keep the awnings from being torn up. I first believed they were another must have, but now I wouldn't have any due to the wind troubles that go with them.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
To each his own, but I would not have a rig without them. Keeps leaves, branches, rain, snow and ice troubles from ever affecting the slides and their operation. I have never had one torn up by wind and have been through some pretty good thunderstorms at the ocean side.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2Wanderers

Manufacturer advised us they weren't needed as popouts are watertight. We are down here in Corpus Christi, TX and have camped from the Colorado Rockies to Florida and have noticed one thing consistently. When the wind blows hard, the awnings get torn up. We have seen some who had to close their slides up to keep the awnings from being torn up. I first believed they were another must have, but now I wouldn't have any due to the wind troubles that go with them.
Exactly! I had one on some SOB and the North Dakota wind continued to tear it. Real pain in the rear. As 2Wanderers said, the popouts are water tight. If I get tree debris on my slides, a simple sweep of the broom takes care of that. JMO
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Since I don't even yet own my fifth wheel (ordering in May), I'll only say the dealer here in western SD advised against the awnings due to the (just crazy) high winds outside the Black Hills. Can't think of why he would say that if it were not true, as I did put most all other options on my list.

Again, just for what it's worth.
David West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
A lot of folks don't have them and seem to do fine. We have them on Monty and our SOB. It is nice not to have to worry about debris on top of the slides but when Louise is pulling them in I need to make sure that I am not near one in case there is water or ice that has collected on them. We did have a small tear as a result of high winds but fixed it with special tape from CW. If I bought another RV and they had them I would keep them other wise I don't think I would order them. A final note, they can be very noisy in the wind.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We don't have the wind as they do out west, but we seem to have lots of campground with trees and it's a real pain to get on the roof to clear the slides before leaving especially if it's raining. So I have had them on both our Montanas.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We like our slide toppers just fine...climbing up on the roof and sweeping debris off four slides every time we move is just a step I would rather not put up with. The toppers also keep some (most?)of the direct sunlight off the slide roof, which can help keep the interior of the unit cooler...a real concern if you are camping in hot climates. Finally, I think I would shop around for a better price for three toppers...$1655 seems excessive. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
We paid 1200.00 for 4 slides. I'm sure they installed the cheapest that domestic offers.
We did have the door side topper tear at the wall due to high winds and they are very noisy when the wind is blowing.
I would say that they do help keep debris off the slide.
If I have a complete failure I plan to see how much of an incovencence in is without.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We don't have slide toppers and have found that there has been no need for them for us. I seldom have to clean debris off the slides. I think I've done it twice in over 10 years of full timing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have them, and yes, they can be noisy. I have a 3 inch tow strap and some bungee cords I use on the big slide if the wind gets too high. I do get up on the roof and clean them off if they are wet, doing so helps clean the material also. I do not have a problem climbing up as I have to do so to put my Wilson antenna up each time we park. Keep in mind, we don't just stay one or two nights, usually at least a week at each location. As fulltimers, that is an advantage. I would put them on again if I was to upgrade trailers.....We got ours thru CW and I don't remember what they cost.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This is our second unit with toppers. We had one topper tear in a tornado (the 32' TT in front of us blew over). They can be noisy but we have been through plenty of wind without issue. However, it depends upon where you camp. We camp in lots of trees and the slides only stay water tight as long as you don't tear the seals. If you don't have toppers, be sure to clean all four slides before putting them in if you camp near trees. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote