Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Class B Non Commercial License

Well, after driving our rig(2006 F350 & Wildcat 29RLBS) for 4 years and and now the Dodge 3500 & Montana 3150RL, I just learned that I need a Class B Non Commercial Drivers License. Maryland requires this license if your GVWR of your truck and camper is more than 260001# or your trailer is 10K# or more. My wildcat was 11 thousand something pounds and currently my Montana is almost 14K along with my Dodge being 12200# GVWR.

I went to my DMV and talked to them, and yes, I need it, I said I've been pulling my camper for almost 5 years, she said, WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE IT.

But we are going to leave in a few weeks for Georgia, and I know I wont be ready to take a driving test by then, so I guess I'll remain illegal till we get back.

Oh, and since this license is a higher class than my regular class C, I have to have someone with the B or higher accompany me when I'm practicing and when I go to DMV for my drivers test. She said I also have to backup 100 feet, backup to the right??, and parallel park the camper. I said I don't know anyone with a higher class license, she said WELL I GUESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEN.

So, you all might want to look at your DMV site and verify if you need one of these or not.

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Jimmy Womack
Established Member

M.O.C. #10963
Makes me glad I kept my Class B CDL. Unfortunately I'm in Texas or I'd be glad to help.
Jimmy Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Heh tom, you might want to look a little closer on your weights. That 122000 gvw seems out of place somewhere.Your truch should be around 8k lbs added to your trailer of 14k is only 22k, under the limits for their weight ratings.
There are some people here that can explain this better than I did and I hope they step in soon.
Now I can be wrong about these figures, I've been wrong a lot lately!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I bet that will be fun to parrell park to. I use to do a 100 ft ladder w/a tiller and that wasn't even easy. Especially when your timed.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Heh tom, you might want to look a little closer on your weights. That 122000 gvw seems out of place somewhere.Your truch should be around 8k lbs added to your trailer of 14k is only 22k, under the limits for their weight ratings.
There are some people here that can explain this better than I did and I hope they step in soon.
Now I can be wrong about these figures, I've been wrong a lot lately!
Steve, If I read his post right 12,200 is the GVWR which is probably about right for his loaded weight. I think your numbers are right for his truck weight and is the nuber he should use for combined weight truck plus 5'er. If I follow his post the 5'er being over 10K still requires the special license. Of course like you I have been wrong a lot lately. Jim
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
There is no way your truck and Monty is over 26,000 lbs. Here is the North Carolina info from the handbook:

Regular Licenses
Class C — Required to operate any single
vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material
in quantities required to be placarded or is
designed to carry no more than 15 passengers
including the driver with a GVWR of less
than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a
vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less
than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver at
least eighteen years old. Most drivers need
only a Regular Class C license to operate
personal automobiles and small trucks.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
License classes:

Class C: Any vehicle or combination of vehicles 26000 pounds or less.

Class B: Any single vehicle (Drivable) 26001 pounds or more (may tow a trailer 10000 pounds or less). This would be a bus or a dump truck

Class A: Any combination of vehicles over 26000 pounds and the trailer is over 10000 pounds. For me Pick up is 12200 pounds trailer is 15560 total 27760.

The weights go by the manufactures gross vehicle weight rating GVWR. Not what the vehicle is weighed at when you put it on scales.

For an example a fully loaded tractor trailer loaded can weigh 80000 pounds. You need a Class A license for this. 80000 pounds is the GVWR for this vehicle. Empty it may weigh 15000 for the truck and 10000 for the trailer. Less than 26000 pounds but you still need a class A.

CDL and Non CDL: Under federal law RVs are exempt from the above requirements. Federal law also says that states may make licensing requirements more restrictive not less. A CDL is needed when you use the vehicle for business. Several (I think it is 9) states have extra requirements when it comes to non CDL vehicles. It ranges from road test, different class of license or just a written test.

I took a look a Maryland’s MVA page and if you search driver’s license classes it says you need a Non commercial A or B. If you search rv you need a non commercial class A.

Part of the problem with motor vehicles is when you call every person you talk to gives you a different answer.
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tom,
I looked up Maryland DMV and MVA rules.
I believe if you register you truck as a class E between 18000 and 26000 pounds then your Class C drivers license is acceptable.
This portion of MVA defines RVs.

Like you stated PA will accept the max weight of each vehicle for registration but I only registered as 26000 combined gross so my class C license is sufficient.

This is just my opinion. I suggest you ask others in MVA before you react.

Good luck.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Well, after driving our rig(2006 F350 & Wildcat 29RLBS) for 4 years and and now the Dodge 3500 & Montana 3150RL, I just learned that I need a Class B Non Commercial Drivers License. Maryland requires this license if your GVWR of your truck and camper is more than 260001# or your trailer is 10K# or more. My wildcat was 11 thousand something pounds and currently my Montana is almost 14K along with my Dodge being 12200# GVWR.

I went to my DMV and talked to them, and yes, I need it, I said I've been pulling my camper for almost 5 years, she said, WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE IT.

But we are going to leave in a few weeks for Georgia, and I know I wont be ready to take a driving test by then, so I guess I'll remain illegal till we get back.

Oh, and since this license is a higher class than my regular class C, I have to have someone with the B or higher accompany me when I'm practicing and when I go to DMV for my drivers test. She said I also have to backup 100 feet, backup to the right??, and parallel park the camper. I said I don't know anyone with a higher class license, she said WELL I GUESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEN.

So, you all might want to look at your DMV site and verify if you need one of these or not.
The customer service at some govt agencies is close to the worst you will ever find...as you have found out. Good luck with bringing this mess to closure.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I guess it would all depend on which numbers were used. My TV does weigh 13000, but that's the Gross and what I have it reg for. Now the Monty gross is 13700, but it's reg at the dry weight 10200. So if you take the reg weight of the two it's less than 26000, but if you combine the gross it's just over 26000. As far as I know NY only requires higher class when the gross of a TV alone is over 18000. It's something that you can drive a 40 ft plus MH and tow a 24 or 30 ft enclosed trailer behind and only need a passenger car license.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Maryland rules sound to be the same as Texas. Any trailer over 10k# requires a "B" and if the gross combined is over 26k# it requires an "A". Looking at the dry shipping weight for every 2011 Montana would require a "B" at least in the State of Texas. I am guilty of driving my setup with a out of class license until this past year. This appears to be a very common problem with RVers but ignorance of the laws does not help you when on the side or the road or standing in front of a judge.

If the test in Maryland is anything like the test in Texas don't sweat it. It is a piece of cake. In Texas you study a single chapter in the CDL manual over basic driving rules (speed limits, distance between vehicles, etc ...) and that is all you are tested on (assuming you already have a "C"). The written test is the same for a "A" or "B". I stood in line longer than it takes to take the test. The only difference is the driving test. It is the same also but you must take the driving test in the class of vehicle you are testing for. If you are comfortable driving your rig you will have no problems with driving test.

I too originally feared the parallel park. All I could think of was when I was 16 and had to parallel park between two post. The thought of doing this with truck/trailer was un-nerving. This is nothing like that at all. Basically on a empty street we pulled up along side the yellow line. The tester then got out and told me to back up and put the truck/trailer against the curb. Basically I just backed up gently towards the curb. No drastic angles. I was 12"~13" from the curb. The limit was like 16". So passed with ease. If you can back in to a camp spot you should have no problems with the parallel park. You just have to do it with out a spotter.

As for the in-class driver to be with you for the test, that is also required here in Texas. At no point did they ask or check the license of my driver. I have also heard of people dropping their rig off at the testing location before they open in the morning so that it is not seen being driven by a out of class driver.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

I guess it would all depend on which numbers were used. My TV does weigh 13000, but that's the Gross and what I have it reg for. Now the Monty gross is 13700, but it's reg at the dry weight 10200. So if you take the reg weight of the two it's less than 26000, but if you combine the gross it's just over 26000. As far as I know NY only requires higher class when the gross of a TV alone is over 18000. It's something that you can drive a 40 ft plus MH and tow a 24 or 30 ft enclosed trailer behind and only need a passenger car license.

Michelle, I'm confused about the weight of your 3500, where did the numbers come from for actual weight of 13000 lbs, that is a very heavy 1 ton truck? What all do you have in the truck to add that much weight?

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
From the Dodge Web site:

"3500 specs

* Higher Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 13,000 pounds (Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheel axle with 6.7-liter diesel)"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I guess each state is different. Here in Indiana I can operate any size RV with my regular licence. If I need to drive a commericial vehicle then the rules change.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #15
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
The truck itself weights 9000#, took it over to Flying J the other day. But the sticker for the GVWR is 12,200#. The Montana is 13,965#(sticker on the side of coach below the slide valve access door) which makes me over the 26,001# limit by 164#.

So, for 164# I need to get at least the Class B non commercial license in the state or Maryland. I do have the MD Drivers book, and so far I/m on page 31 and there is no info for truck/RV license yet. But I guess I should read the hole thing to brush up on all the rules and what not.

Its been suggested that I just get the CDL A and be done with it, just in case Maryland changes the requirements down the road, I'll still be good.

As far as the driving test goes, I'm not great at backing up, some days I can put that baby just where it belongs, other days, it takes a few tries.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I see I caused some confusion, should have read "My TV doesn't weight 13000", sorry. The dry weight of my 3500 DRW is 7671, but the gross is 13000 and that is what it is reg for in NYS. Anything in NY with a dry weight of 7000 or more must carry Commerical Plates and is charged based on the Gross. I could reg it for less, but the cost to go to the max wasn't that much more. Now I'm covered no matter (within reason) how much I load the back of the TV and the Pin weight of the Monthy. But again, unless the TV is reg for 18001 or more no special license is needed.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
How does this affect those of us from states where we are legal traveling through states where the different regulations make us not so? I know that reciprocity between states gives you a pass on equipment violations in other states as long as you are in compliance with your own state. I wonder if this might be included also?
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

How does this affect those of us from states where we are legal traveling through states where the different regulations make us not so? I know that reciprocity between states gives you a pass on equipment violations in other states as long as you are in compliance with your own state. I wonder if this might be included also?
If you are legal in your home state than you legal. Example my TV is registered as a non-commercial vehicle. Not all states will allow me to register the truck as non-commercial. But because Texas does where I am registered they have to accept it (No scales, no IFTA & no log books). But if I was engaged in a commercial activity than all bets are off.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Maryland rules sound to be the same as Texas. Any trailer over 10k# requires a "B" and if the gross combined is over 26k# it requires an "A".
CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;
CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than
26,001 pounds; and

Right out of the TX Commerical handbook...I don't see what you're saying. I can understand your case needing commercial, but not everyone that tows a Montana. This was hashed over on the other board pretty well.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #20
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

If you are legal in your home state than you legal. Example my TV is registered as a non-commercial vehicle. Not all states will allow me to register the truck as non-commercial. But because Texas does where I am registered they have to accept it (No scales, no IFTA & no log books). But if I was engaged in a commercial activity than all bets are off.
You are right about everything but the scales. I know that in MD every vehicle is subject to weights. Also every vehicle over 5 tons should stop at the scale houses. But it is only enforced on the Commercial Motor Veh.
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote