Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Electrical problem resolved

A call to my dealer and said to press reset buttons on breakers, none to be found.
Took out 25 amp fuses on power panel to check for a bad one, none found, replaced them, and .......... a green panel light came on and the interior lights came on.
All seems to be working fine now.

Thanks to all for your help.
Jack

Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
HUH? You found none bad but replaced them anyway? Is that so? I saw this once before long ago, that a fuse "buzzed out" okay but I replaced it anyway and things worked. Wierd.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Art, the old ones looked fine, no burnt gaps. So I put them back in.
Maybe replaced was a bad word choice.
Any way just went out, unplugged camper and all is working as it should.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah, I have done this with batteries. The remote stops working. I take out the batteries and put them back in and they work for months afterwards. Go figure. It's the gremlins, I say.

Replaced was an incorrect term. Maybe "reinstalled" is better. On the other hand you also unplugged the camper. A common problem is that the connector is not installed tight enough or a switch on the pole gets flipped. Whatever the cause, a few retries of cable connections, switch flipping and reseating of fuses have been known to solve problems. I'm glad that's all it was this time, but I can tell you, if this keeps happening that you have to flip switches, reseat fuses, and the like, it's because something is weak and needs a kick in the pants to get working. This is how I eventually found a bad breaker and a bad fuse even though debugging them showed they were fine, so you might not be completely out of the woods yet.

We get a little smarter each time we run into a gremlin-inspired event. I believe that if nothing ever goes wrong, I'll be more ignorant. It's terrible that I learn the most about things AFTER a mishap or problem.

Another one to chalk up to experience. You am smarter now. Until next time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
may have been corroded contacts. have done the same 'reseat' circuit boards and it works trick many times.
my cpu mouse will get flakey at times and I will clean the battery contacts and 'good to go' once more.
a bad contact doesn't necessarily have to be glaringly visible.
anyway, glad you found the fix.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote