Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Tire Pressures & Temps

We're getting ready to take off for a couple of months in the new Monty. Will probably do about 8,000 miles or so by the time we are all done. (maybe even get a good photo to use for the signature)

This is my first trip with a TPMS. I have the TST. Previous 5'vers had no TPMS.

Just curious.... what does everyone read as far as pressures and temps while traveling down the highways.

I realize that speed, temp, tire type etc have an effect. I'm expecting that my G614's should run cooler at 105 psi than another E rated tire at 80psi.

I did a search and didn't find any data and I'm curious. If you'd like to share, I'd love to know what you read at various parameters.

Info such as Tire type, speed, how long at that speed, road wet or dry, air temp, tire pressure, tire temp. Interstate? Curvy Two-lane? Does all the flexing from those curves heat a tire up more than straight driving down a 4 lane? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nothing real scientific here. I'm just curious about what others experience so I can correlate it to my own.

Thanks in advance.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Left Fl and at SC tonight. I saw 100 degree with 90 for outside temp and normal 80 starting pressure with it up to 95 lbs on the tires.
I have seen higher in the heat of the day. We had overcast and rain most the day.
Hope this helps. I also have TST.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
From 80 lbs cold, after traveling several miles my pressures will be up around 95 psi and temps will be around 120 °F. Never have seen any problems with these figures. One of the things I always caution others on is the pressure measurements after the tires heat up. DON'T let pressure out. The tires are designed to operate in this manner. That's why we always start out at the Max Cold psi as marked on the tire sidewall

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
With G-load tires run with the correct PSI, I would think you should have no worries.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You might consider getting an IR temp reader, too. You aim this at the tires and the temps are read.

This allows you to check all tires to make sure they are are close in temperatures. This is another indicator to avoid tire problems. It can also indicates possible brake problems that if one is getting too hot it might cause a tire problem, or if one tire is too cold then the brake part is not working at that tire. Use it for both the TV and Monty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

You might consider getting an IR temp reader, too. You aim this at the tires and the temps are read.

This allows you to check all tires to make sure they are are close in temperatures. This is another indicator to avoid tire problems. It can also indicates possible brake problems that if one is getting too hot it might cause a tire problem, or if one tire is too cold then the brake part is not working at that tire. Use it for both the TV and Monty.
Art, that's what I use for checking temps when traveling. When we pull into a rest stop, I just get out my IR checker and check the temps. When I first started doing that about nine years ago, the temps kind of scared me. However they just seemed to reach around 120 °F and never went any higher. That's a good little tool to have. Cost me around $40.00 at Home Depot.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have the 614's and the TST system and after a little experimentation which involved shrieking tones from the monitor have arrived at the following conclusions. We run at about 100 psi and have the low pressure warning set at 80 psi and the high pressure set at 120 psi. Pressures will increase with temperature and you may have to experiment a little dependent on your loading. The temperatures are a little trickier, we have found that the high temperature needs to be about 25-30'degrees above the high temperatures. I am thinking that we have ours set at about 110 degrees. You will know when to adjust after monitoring the readouts on the monitor.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

With G-load tires run with the correct PSI, I would think you should have no worries.
I'm not worried. I'm just curious to see what sort of temps and pressures others are experiencing.

The subject of ST vs LT tires have been discussed sooooo much on the various rv forums that I thought perhaps if we get enough actual data, including tire type, that it might (might not) point out some interesting trends and shed some light on the subject.

Bingo - I checked my notes. I'm running 105psi and my alarm is set at 95 and 120. I think I left the default temp alarm setting. Good tip to be ready for the squeal just in case.

Art N Marge - good idea on the IR gauge. As an ex otr trucker I've always felt my tires wheels and hubs/rims by hand when I stopped, but the IR gun would let me also shoot the brake drums and make the job quick and painless. The accuracy of the gauge would help to point out variances that might not be discernible by hand and if nothing else be a good reference to follow.

Hopefully more people will share their temps and pressures.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I too, have an IR reader. It is on the back of my right hand. Let me explain.

Years ago in another life working in a plastics injection molding plant, I suffered third degree burns to the back of my right hand due to having it in the wrong place at the right time. The nozzle of the injection unit had frozen. The machine was molding glass reinforced nylon resin at 550 degrees. I backed the injection unit away from the sprue port in the mold and moved my hand in front of the nozzle to use my right index finger to pop the stuck plastic out of the sprue port. I had done this for years!!

At any rate, the frozen nozzle thawed and because, the over heated resin in the injection unit was under pressure, it decides to releave itself while my hand was there. It felt like someone hit my hand with a sledge hammer!!

I ended up naturally at the Elkhart General Hospital. To heal my injuries, the Doctors decide to fillet two pieces of skin off my a** and staple it to the back of my hand. Years later after all is healed, I use the "delicate" skin on the back of my hand to test the temp of the tire sidewall first, on the truck and then all the way around the unit. I do this immediately when we stop. I have never detected the tires on the unit any warmer than the tires on the truck.

That is how I use my IR reader! And, the tires I have are affectionately known as the "Mara-bombs"! They have been there for nearly 3 years and when we get serious about doing more traveling, they will come off and G-614's go on.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Now Dale that is a story I couldn't put down!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Every word of it is the truth, Dennis! The worst part if it was that where they fillet'd my butt, hurt more than my hand did for about the first 2 weeks.

You will probably not know too many people that can offer up the back of a hand to you and tell you, "just KMA"!!!! And, all without bending over! LOL!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote