Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Whole RV Water Filters and Flow Rates

We are considering ordering a whole RV dual cannister F1 SED1 water filtration system for our new Montana. We will buy a free standing unit and permanently attach it to the coach after spending some time on the road and see what spot makes the most sense.

Do you have to stand outside and be ready to shut off a valve to the tank every time you take on water through the filters or can you just leave the valve on, run through the filter to top off and just walk out and disconnect the water hose at our convienience?

Good water is very important to us and we do wish to start right off with a good filtration system but don't want to have to stand there for 20 minutes while the tank fills through the filters.

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm not quite clear on what you're asking. If you have water available via a spigot at the campsite, just hook an external (for now) filter system onto your supply hose and attach it to the inlet on your convience center. If you need to draw water from your fresh water tank while boon docking, you can fill the fresh water tank 2 ways ... either by the convience center valve or the "old fashioned way" by inserting the garden hose in the fresh water tank fill towards the rear of your fiver. Both ways are fed off the for-mentioned external filter/hose setup. Filling the fresh water tank by the rear filler port is way faster than the valving in the convience center. I'm not sure if you can leave the convience center fill valve open and still have the onboard water pump draw water from your fresh water tank. Perhaps someone will shed light on that here soon.

On edit: If you're asking if the water will automatically shut off while filling the fresh water tank thru the convience center valve ... the answer is NO.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We don't have a convenience center and here's what we do. We currently use a single system, but will convert to a dual in the future. The water filter has a mount on the side of the rig near the water inlet. I run the hose from the city water to the filters, then another short hose to the inlet or the fill tube. I also use separate water shut offs to be able to shut off water flow as needed. There will be some pressure drop.

Others use a dual mount or use a bracket that sits on the ground near the inlet. When getting ready to travel we disconnect the city inlet and store everything in the trailer in its own bin. We do not permanently attach to anything, but if you can find a place to allow a permanent mount and convenient enough to able to replace the filters periodically, then that should work just find.

You do have the right idea about using the water filtration system at all times! It humors me when I've seen elaborate filtration systems people have, then when they fill the fresh water tank they just stick the hose into the fill inlet (what? no filter?). I do go through a water filter whether I fill the tank or connect to the city water supply fitting. A dual sediment filter is better since your travels will take you to a greater variety of water systems than I've encountered.

I do have to agree with diesel guy that I haven't heard of a means to automatically shut off the fresh water tank fill spout (unless you can retrofit something like what is used at a filling station). You can calculate the flow rate, then figure how much time you should wait, then use a timer to ensure you're there at the desired time to prevent going past your desired fill amount.

Let us know where and if you locate a good permanent attachment.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have the on-board water filter. When we fill thru the Convenience Center, it does not go through the filter, so we re-plumbed that feature.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Filling your fresh water tank with a filter system attached won't be an issue in terms of water flow although you'll need to shut off the water when the tank is full and there's simply no way around that! Due to the size of the water pipe system within the trailer itself, your water flow is probably around a gallon a minute. The filter may take away from that a little bit if you connect it to the "City Water" in the convenience center.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use a dual system we got from the RVwaterfilterstore.com. It doesn't affect the water flow enough to notice unless the filter needs to be changed. Ours is in a wooden holder and not attached to the rig so that I can keep it in the shade wherever we locate. I use hoses of several lengths with quick connects to make it fit the way I want. We do use the fill in the convenience center to fill our tank and that way the water going in there is always filtered.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We have a dual canister system like DQDick's from the same place. Ours is mounted inside the basement is is left hooked up permanently. We don't use our storage tank for much else than water for the bathroom and kitchen sink while we're on the road so we don't care much whether it's filtered or not. But I agree that having the dual system doesn't slow the flow at all unless the particle filter needs to be changed. The water through the filter system is absolutely perfect. Love it. If you want pictures click on my signature photolink.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote