Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Generators Running a 50 amp RV

OK, experts. What is wrong with this idea? I want quiet, efficient generator(s) to run my 50amp Monty and BOTH air conditioners. My plan:

Purchase two Boliy 3300 watt Generators. http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Bol...5718959&sr=8-1

Purchase the Cheater Box and plug each generator into its respective 30 amp plug. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Cheate...230-adtp30.htm

Plug the Monty into the 50amp plug on the Cheater Box.

Run one 15 air conditioner and one 13.5 air conditioner.

Comments?

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Check the specs for the generator's ratings on noise in decibels (dbs). When measuring the noise levels interestingly enough, they are not additive. For example, the dbs will be the same for one or for two generators with the same db ratings. You'll need at least two 3000 watt generators. Two generators less than those ratings won't cut it. The point being you need about 5500 to 6000 watts of generators. I see nothing wrong with your plan and running both A/Cs.

Some other considerations, regardless where you are, most campgrounds will not allow you to run them past whatever their quiet hours posted. If not at a campground, there still might be a local ordnance about noise. It's best just to plan or expect that past 10pm you won't be running them. Other places might not even allow them to be run at all. It's best just not to argue the point but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You might still measure the current or wattage usage of each A/C unit so you know how much reserve you have left over for other electronics and appliances. I am also not familiar with the Boilys you mention so I don't know if they provide a clean AC Sine wave for sensitive electronics. I hope someone else can help.

Beware, I'm no expert, but I think even beginners like me should know about power, signal and noise requirements. I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
For one thing, the cheater does not synchronize the two generators. Something must do that or there will be a lot of equipment ruined... fried.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Captain, I understand what you're trying to do and in theory it should work, but I would really double check that cheater box to make sure that one plug feeds L1 on the Monty and the other plug feeds L2. Also keep in mind that you would still only have 30 amps on each leg vs the 50 amps per leg of a true 50 amp source.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

For one thing, the cheater does not synchronize the two generators. Something must do that or there will be a lot of equipment ruined... fried.
I agree

As mentioned you have nothing keeping the 2 generators in phase.

This may be a problem.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Okay Cap, 25 amps per leg, continuous. With both ACs running that doesn't leave a lot of room for coffeemaker, microwave, converter, lights, TV, pump, refrigerator, ice maker, fans, etc. Especially dicey if one, or both, ACs start at the same time.

No problem with synchronizing generators since the circuits are normally in phase (like when you're feeding them from a 30 amp service) or out of phase (when you're feeding them from a 50 amp service). They only share neutral, but you'd better make sure they are properly grounded (to each other and to physical ground).

Of course, you're out of luck if you should happen to need 220.

You are potentially running 50+ amps on the neutral, so make sure the power cable is properly sized (no problem if you're using the 50 amp cord set).

BUT, try it before you get on the road. There are always gremlins.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
According to some web sites, Boliy makes a parallel kit:

EXT3000P Parallel Kit

Boost your power! Combining two EXT3000P provides up to 5000 Watts of peak power with 4600 Watts of continuous power.
Features both 20 amp and 30 amp receptacles.

It seems that you would get up to 20 amps on one leg of your Monty and up to 30 amps on the other leg.

Again, having meters would be very beneficial in determining your load on each leg (they're only $65 each).

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would definitely try for that parallel kit if it is available.
Keep in mind that on a standard 50 amp connection there is only one neutral. If you are pulling exactly 20 amps on each hot leg, there is no current at all flowing thru the neutral wire since the two hot legs are 180 out of phase. If the two loads are not exact, the neutral current is the difference in the two. For example if one hot leg was pulling 20 amps and the other 10 amps, the neutral leg would be carrying the extra 10 amps from the first leg.
The adapter ties the two neutrals from the generators together. Since the generators are independent, what ever current flows from generator 1 has to flow back to the neutral of generator 1. Same for generator 2. They can't share current like a 50 amp 220 vac source unless the two generators were somehow sychronized 180 out of phase with a common neutral. I really have no idea what the result will be. I don't think just tying the neutrals and/or grounds together will synchronize the two.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Large generating plants use multiple generators for output to the industry, city, etc. HOWEVER, they have a very sophisticated system to manage the synchronization and power output of each generator, so they don't "backfeed" into each other. It is done on smaller units, but you have to be VERY careful what kind of system you have that can do that. Most RV or construction type generators are not meant to do that, and big problems can arise. The Hondas manage it electronically, with special circuitry, I'm not sure about the others.

One other major factor to remember, especially with AC units, is the STARTUP load, which can be several times the "running" load. This has been known to bring a generator to it's "knees" so to speak.

If I were going this route, I would probably spend the money and get one of the larger Onan units, that are super quiet. They even make one that is a generator/toolbox for the bed of the pickup. Spendy, but at least you know it will work.

Just my 1.25 cents worth (inflation factored in)!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Please listen to TAKPAK or you will have troubles.
IMHO.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Exactly what I needed to know. It is so nice to have a site where all your questions and crazy ideas can be vetted. Thanks everyone. @Michael...the EXT3000P Parallel Kit is not for the Boliy, but the Extreme Max.
Thanks again....Joe
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Joe, if you go the two generator route, let us know how you combined them?

Thanks, SemperFi
larrymul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I will, but the best that I have been able to put together is to work with Boliy and try to get them to copy the Honda model. If more would contact a Boliy dealer and suggest such a configuration, perhaps it would come sooner than later.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #14
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Just one more comment...this was posted on www.1rv2.com. FYI

"One more observation about that Boliy - it is electrically very "noisy". Radios, including my truck on AM were almost useless in the vicinity. It makes me wonder if that "noise" could damage a computer or TV. A separate ground might 'cure' that - we'll see."
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
You might want to take a look at a Kipor IG6000I generator. I bought one and I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to the site where I bought mine. http://www.delairrv.net/pre_owned_de...0639&nv=y#info
jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote