Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
GeneO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11902
Gooseneck

I would like to know the pro and con of having a gooseneck added to Montana 5th wheel?

GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The biggest problem with adding a gooseneck to the Montana is that the Montana front support is not set up for a gooseneck unit! Gooseneck units are supported about twice to three times as much as the fifth wheel hitch do to the stress that is put upon it. If I'm not mistaken there has been numerous threads discussing this very subject. If you go to the Search mode at the top of the page, click on it and then key in gooseneck and hit enter you will find several threads on the use of a gooseneck on the Monte!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The gooseneck attachment is a lever . When you put any stress on the pin such as a tight turn or more especially when you are backing in a tight turn, its leverage causes a twisting effect on the front of the Monty frame. Obviously not good. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For residential fifth wheels a lot of manufacturers do not allow this. Some oweners have done this after shoring things up a bit but most don't recommend it and I wouldn't know how.

I don't know why, but I think a residential fifth wheel goes under different stresses at the front end compared the smaller sized utility, horse trailers or some automotive trailers because of the size. A fifth wheel is expected to carry about 15% of its weight at the pin. But residential fifth wheels go up to 25% (mine is about 19%. This might have something to do with the pin stresses, too.

The pro of it is a simpler and probably lighter hitch, but that's about it. The cons are it's not usually recommended, the stresses are different and fifth wheel pins are known for having problems so why put more stress on the pin assembly and the front cap.

Hopefully someone comes along with even more and better information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We had a goose neck put,on our 2955 5er by the dealer. He found nothing wrong with doing it. While traveling, I stopped at another dealer for supplies. They warned me about having the goose neck on the Monty. They said Monty was not designed for that and Montana would not cover damages caused by it.
Got home and had it removed.
Benefit s are added space in bed of the truck and it is easy to remove the hitch. Many balls willl roll over and disapear under the bed. Any weight benefit will be countered by you adding more stuff in the bed.
Bad points are as mentioned before plus I believe you need safety chains, like a trailer because of the ball versus the 5th wheel. So, I had them and had to crawl into the bed to hook up and unhook the chains.
Stay with the 5th wheel hitch. Just my opinion though...
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
I thought a goose neck would be the way to go to save bed space also.
Stopped at Keystone to talk with them and they said the warranty would be void as the frame work was not built strong enough for the extra force. At RV shows, many sales reps also said the same. Make sure your trailer is built to handle a goose neck.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Goosenecks are usually just fine unless you anticipate a warranty issue, why else would so many companies make and sell them and so many Fivers have them?

Interestingly, a new Gooseneck PINBOX has recently been developed and tested by Lippert per press release:

"Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’
Print August 16, 2011 by RV Business
Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc. and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced today (Aug. 16) that it has been designated the exclusive supplier of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese “Goose Box” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.

“The ‘Goose Box’ is a great solution for fifth-wheel RV users who prefer to use gooseneck hitches,” Jason Lippert, CEO of Goshen Ind.-based Lippert Components, said in a press release. “We are very pleased with the results of the thorough testing of the Goose Box, which demonstrates that it is compatible with our RV frame. As a result, the proper installation of a Goose Box pin box will be acceptable under our RV frame warranty.”

The company said that the airbag technology used in the “Goose Box” reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the “Goose Box” provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate."

- Even MOR-RYDE now has a Goosneck adapter for their sliding Pinbox

- Many companies sell Gooseneck Adapters, Trailer Life reviewed them positively in 2009.

- Rarely have I been in a campground without several or more Fivers with Gooseneck adapters. Most of which are plain, non-"Flexible" pipes...

- I've towed my Montana with the Star Performance Hitch Gooseneck Adapter for over 4 years which includes a built-in Glider motion that probably has about the same stress relief benefit as the Lippert development, so what difference would a purpose built Pinbox versus a solid adapter attachment make? Also, I've gotten my Montana stuck twice and its held up for those extraction exertions.

And based on the actual Frame FAILURE reports on this and other forums, its the randomly (?) bad frame fault - regardless of how its hooked up as almost all reported failures are with standard Fiver Hitches.

So if you want to keep your truckbed easily free of an obtrusive hitch, a rotating/turnover ball provides that benefit. Also when hooking up you raise/lower the trailer gently on and off the ball - no ramming the pin or need to chock trailer wheels and "impossible" to drop on your pickup bed as its either on the ball or not. It does take longer since the jacks are so slow and hooking up the safety chains requires fitness for crawling into the bed. Though I don't always use the chains on short trips a how would the trailer come off the locked ball when it weighs down on the truck so much...

Just another point of view based on my personal experience(s) and interest in this issue.

RV Refrigerators are probably a greater risk!
Or towing behind the trailer, or adding....
Good luck!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
GeneO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11902
Thanks for the info.
GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A goose neck is about twice as long, that is it hangs down about twice as far as a fifth wheel hitch. There fore it puts about twice as much toque on the frame as a fifth wheel hitch. It,s simple math. The closer to your frame your camper is hitched the less stress is on the frame.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
Still pulling mine gooseneck.love it. Wouldn't go back. Never had a problem.
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Trying to recall my long ago education in Static and Dynamic Stresses it seems to me the dynamic force is largely/usually just forward and backwards, and greatest when starting and stopping (which usually are at slow speeds).
Torque or rotational, not so much and determined largely by the length of the Pinbox (not the fixed Fiver Hitch or Gooseneck Adapter)- which must be "absorbed/countered" by the heavy steel connection and construction of the components.
Since the steel RV hitch/Kingpin and Gooseneck adapter construction/strength apparently exceeds the encountered stresses, that would explain why so many Gooseneck Adapters are made/sold and used without problem.
So doubled stress and the flagpole in your hands arguments are superseded by the material/component capabilities.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Chas! I was just about to say that but you beat me to it! Yah Right Ron!
Oh by the way Chas, "Thanks for Serving!"
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote